CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
Christopher Day

Profile:
Hello fellow crossfitters:

By way of introduction, my name is Chris and I'm from NB on the east coast of Canada. I'm a 23 year old male, 6'1" 175 pounds with average athleticism and about 16 months of modest training experience. My typical workouts in the past have not been particularly intense - mostly the standard fare of gym routines, two body parts a day, 3-4 day rotations, combinations of compound movements and isolation exercises. Like many new crossfitters, after discovering this concept I realized quickly how bored I have become with lame gym patterns and minimal results.

After reviewing a lot of information on this site I have decided that I am going to make a committment to crossfitting for at least three months to challenge myself. I know that I am not ready for the WOD's yet. But also, I feel that I am slightly more advanced than the stage for which the beginner's workout in issue 9 is prescribed. So, I have decided that I will start a new thread on here for anyone out there like me, to follow my workouts for a month and see where things end up.

Every day I will post my activities and results to this thread and of course, I will gladly accept any and all feedback/suggestions on my workout exercises. A vast majority of the exercises on this site are new to me, so my focus will be first: to get used to the constant pace of crossfitting by minimizing rest periods throughout my workout and second: to gradually integrate some of these more advanced movements into my training, until eventually I can follow the WOD's with substitutions.

Everyday I will perform the official crossfit warm-up and an additional exercise similar to the style of workouts on this site. To give you all an idea of where I am at before starting. I can do 4 clean straight hanging wide grip pull-ups, with diminishing returns after the first set. I have only ever done back squats, but I can comfortably do 185-190 pounds for 3x10 with about 3-4 minute rest periods between sets. My max bench is 205 for one rep, and I can push my body weight 3 times clean and maybe 4 with slight assistance, although this has never been a focus. I can run for distance no problem, but don't have much experience with sprinting. I consider strength and power to be weak points of my development.

Anyway, I look forward to challenging myself and receiving any feedback on my exercise choices. Wish me luck!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:42 AM   #2
Christopher Day

Profile:
Day 1: January 11th.

Warm-up: 3 sets of everything.
Samson stretch timed at 30 seconds.

Overhead squats with a 15 pound bar x 15.

Full-sit ups hands behind head x 20.

Push-ups x 20.

Wide-grip pull-ups. First set 4 without assistance. Second set on gravitron with 40 pounds assistance x 8. Third set with 50 pounds assistance x 7.

Dips. First set x 10. Second x 8. Third x 8.

Total time to completion: 22 minutes. Feeling beat.

I decided to try doing some front side squats with 45 pound dumbbell pullovers between sets.

First set of squats was clean x 10 with 135 pounds. Needed to catch a breather so I passed on the pullovers. Second set was clean with 135 x 10 again but after a 2.5 minute breather. I felt extremely dizzy at this point and had to sit down for 7-8 minutes before retiring.

Total time of workout was approx 35 minutes with almost no rest time. I ate too much about 1.5 hours before working out and had to hold it in while showering. From now on I will make concerted effort to space out my meals four times daily.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Welcome Christopher. It is nice to see you getting into the swing of things with CrossFit. You definately will not get bored with this system and yes it does indeed challenge you. Keep in mind however, that Lynne will probably move you to the "Workout Log" section so don't be alarmed. That is where everybody posts their daily routines now. Good luck, have fun and we'll be watching and helping if you have questions.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Christopher; what Peter said, there's a whole spot on the forum for keeping your workout log.
If your in the mood to test yourself after doing the WOD, perhaps you should take a look at the Athletic standards thread under "exercise".
That should keep you busy.
:Welcome: