CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
John Romanoff

Profile:
Rheumatoid arthritis

After a recent scope of my knee, my orthopedist thinks I may have rheumatoid arthritis. I am going to see a rheumatologist in May, but I was wondering if anyone is still doing CrossFit with this disease? I've always scaled my workouts, so that's not a big deal for me. I will talk specifics with the doctor, but I haven't worked out since February, and I'm honestly getting depressed. I can't imagine going to a regular gym. This sucks.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Sean Rockett

Profile:
Re: Rheumatoid arthritis

The beauty of Crossfit with something not working properly is that you can modify the injured or diseased part and use other body parts while things are getting handled.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #3
Theresa Stephens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Romanoff View Post
After a recent scope of my knee, my orthopedist thinks I may have rheumatoid arthritis. I am going to see a rheumatologist in May, but I was wondering if anyone is still doing CrossFit with this disease? I've always scaled my workouts, so that's not a big deal for me. I will talk specifics with the doctor, but I haven't worked out since February, and I'm honestly getting depressed. I can't imagine going to a regular gym. This sucks.
I have three athletes with quite advanced arthritis in lower back and/or knees and all are incredibly active. We simply modify and get creative with their workouts.

They all still walk out thoroughly spent, sweaty, happy, and ready to get back for more. We do have the benefit of having a chiropractor and physical therapist as members of our gym who help come up with creative ways to modify, but I am sure with a little support, you could find plenty of ways to scale to fit.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Bryan Hood

Profile:

My recommendation is to start with your diet. I don't know what/how you eat but it can definitely play a part. In February, through the advice from a friend, I did this cleanse/detox that Arbonne has. I had to cut out dairy, soy, gluten, processed sugars, caffeine and alcohol. All food had to be non-GMO or as organic as you can get it. I was desperate due to the pain I have in my joints, primarily my right knee that I tore up in 2012. After having 2 surgeries on my right knee I became pretty depressed. I've lived a very active life that came to a halt. After a month of doing that cleanse I am back to working out regularly again with no pain. One gal who did it with me had rheumatoid arthritis and was able to get off her meds. I was amazed. I say all that to say, check what you're putting in your mouth. Cut dairy out for sure. Your body may be more acidic vs alkaline. The acidic environment cause inflammation. Might want to check into that.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
John Romanoff

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
The beauty of Crossfit with something not working properly is that you can modify the injured or diseased part and use other body parts while things are getting handled.
That's what I'm counting on Sean. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #6
John Romanoff

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa Stephens View Post
I have three athletes with quite advanced arthritis in lower back and/or knees and all are incredibly active. We simply modify and get creative with their workouts.

They all still walk out thoroughly spent, sweaty, happy, and ready to get back for more. We do have the benefit of having a chiropractor and physical therapist as members of our gym who help come up with creative ways to modify, but I am sure with a little support, you could find plenty of ways to scale to fit.
YES! Not really going to get that CrossFit effect at a Globo Gym. Thank you Theresa.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
John Romanoff

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
My recommendation is to start with your diet. I don't know what/how you eat but it can definitely play a part. In February, through the advice from a friend, I did this cleanse/detox that Arbonne has. I had to cut out dairy, soy, gluten, processed sugars, caffeine and alcohol. All food had to be non-GMO or as organic as you can get it. I was desperate due to the pain I have in my joints, primarily my right knee that I tore up in 2012. After having 2 surgeries on my right knee I became pretty depressed. I've lived a very active life that came to a halt. After a month of doing that cleanse I am back to working out regularly again with no pain. One gal who did it with me had rheumatoid arthritis and was able to get off her meds. I was amazed. I say all that to say, check what you're putting in your mouth. Cut dairy out for sure. Your body may be more acidic vs alkaline. The acidic environment cause inflammation. Might want to check into that.
I did a Paleo challenge and felt much better during. I haven't seen the rheumatologist, so I am not certain it is arthritis, but I would prefer a diet modification over medicine if at all possible. Thanks for the info Bryan.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #8
Jake Kozlowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
I second this.