CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Nick Reddy

Profile:
Question Recovery week then sickness

I was just wondering your opinions on what I should do. I took a week long recovery week from the 18th through Christmas Day due to a shoulder issue. I then did wods on Thursday and Friday and then took the weekend off as usual. I then went back at it Monday and Tuesday but now have been out since Wednesday due to a sinus infection and had like a 24 hour flu yesterday. I am feeling better today just tired is all but am wanting to do the wod today. Any suggestions as to whether I should workout or not. I feel like I need to get back at it since I've had a pretty good amount of time off in the past couple weeks.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Steve Agocs

Profile:
Re: Recovery week then sickness

I missed almost 2 weeks from strep throat and then a secondary gut infection and THEN a lingering upper respiratory congestion/cough. It has been REALLY fun. LOL I say go back when you feel like it but don't expect to finish the workout or even do well. I think doing something is better than doing nothing, but my workouts have been awful since I was down from the sickness. Just give yourself ample time to ramp back up to normal and don't push it too hard because your body doesn't need the extra stress.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Cristina Shorts

Profile:

My personal experience - I got sick the day after Christmas and am just now (3+ weeks) getting over it; still not 100%. I didn't take any days off once I started feeling sick because I have a competition soon, and my simple head cold turned into a sinus infection + chest congestion. I wish I had just taken a rest day or two (or 3 even) when I first felt sick.

Just my $0.02 - your experience may be different.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
John Drohan

Profile:

Sometimes it's ok to meet in the middle. If you feel like you could WOD, but don't want to push yourself too hard and perhaps relapse, scale it to half the workload.

You'll feel better for having done something, but your expectations will be mitigated by going in knowing you're only doing half the reps/weight.

Then depending on how you feel the next day, make another decision on how much workload you can handle.

Trust me when I say this: You will hate yourself if you push too hard in a WOD and relapse into sickness.