CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Who does both high-bar and low-bar squats?

Hello folks,

Normally I do low-bar squats but after reading Greg Everett's rebuttal about why olympic lifters should use the high-bar squat, I'm wondering if I should add it in. I'm not a weightlifter yet, but I am trying to learn.

Does anyone here use both? How's it working? Any other insights?

It is a very good article in case anyone is interested.

Thanks...

howard
Old 06-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Jacob Cloud

Profile:
Re: Who does both high-bar and low-bar squats?

Do medium-bar squats count?

Still working on shoulder flexibility to get lower.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

After watching Rip, I see uses a low bar from what I consider. Dunno.

Honestly the bar rests on my shoulders and neck when I was taught to back squat by Kenyon. Some used towels and were named for such.

As I'm progressing towards using the back squat for oly lifting, I'll go with this high bar squat. I do see that the stimilus is different than the low bar which probably really stresses the midline. Dunno.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:34 AM   #4
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I tend to subscribe to the theory that you can just use front squats if you need that stimulus, but high-bar may be useful for an intermediate-advanced athlete who needs to mix things up to make gains.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
Joey Powell

Profile:

I just consider them a different ME exercise and log them accordingly. I don't try to compare weights between varients.

The low bar squat with a more powerlifting stance is the default, however.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 AM   #6
Nick Gagnon

Profile:

I have never even really thought about it, but typically I do a lot more front squats than back squats. When I do perform back squats I just have done what is comfortable for racking it across the shoulders.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Low bar squats twice a week. Front squats once a week. C&J twice a week.

All heavy.

This is a "little bit of knowledge" problem. If you have to ask, go with low bar.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
Steven Quadros

Profile:

I managed to read the article from P-menu on the benefits of the olympic back squat for olympic lifters, and, to be quite honest, didn't find it particularly compelling. Besides it torquing the lower back less, the rest of the arguments didn't really do much to differentiate the lift from its brother in arms, the front squat, besides using the core muscles less, which, to me, isn't necessarily a good thing. The rest of the arguments, about transferability of the movement to o-lifts because of the range of motion and increased use of the quads and glutes, as in a clean or jerk, didn't really strike a note with me. While I am no olympic lifter, it seems as if the benefit to the PC outweighs any carryover that high bar back squat gives, especially when the front squat does everything the HD BS does, plus it works the abs, lower, and upper back as well.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #9
Neil Khant

Profile:

I tried the low bar squats and did feel that they seemed to bring more of the legs into the squat. As I was doing it I was also working on making certain that I was pushing up with the hips as the video from Rip had shown about 2 weeks ago.

I was approached by a trainer and he told me that I need to rest the bar on my shoulders and keep my chest up , spotting a point on the wall up high to keep my head and chest up.

This contradicted everything that the video I had just watched had said.

PS, Steve your picture makes reading your post difficult, it is as if you are looking right through me.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Steven Quadros

Profile:

Neil, do yourself a favor- well, actually two favors. Firstly, do not listen to the vast majority of personal trainers, as they follow guidelines intended to keep people safe, not necessarily get them stronger or more athletic, and even more of them know absolutely jack ****.

Secondly, buy starting strength; if you squat, deadlift, press, bench, power clean, or do any of the other assistance exercises described in the book, your lifting will change for the better for having read it. That book quite literally changed not only the way I thought of lifting, but also my basic understanding of lifting weights in general. It is both well written and extremely useful, as well as broad in scope, in that it teaches one how to lift, but also how to cue and coach, if that is something you're interested in. I've quite literally taught over a hundred people how to properly squat by using Rippetoe's method, and usually get them looking good in under a minute with good cueing.

The chest up, or leading with the chest cue is good for high bar squats or front squats, but absolutely destroys hip drive for the low bar. Most Personal trainers haven't thought about bar position, nevermind hip drive. I should know, as I am one myself.

And as for the picture: I took that as a self shot in India when I didn't have a mirror. I also can't help but make strange faces in posed pictures, as I generally hate them. But at least this way people may feel that I'm watching them, and take my post more seriously, or, in your case, be frightened into skipping over it.