CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Alex Ji

Profile:
The Sugar Addict's Diet

Here is one person's perspective on sugar:

http://www.trinitymcc.com/about_trin...cts%20Diet.pdf -

Stumbled upon this article just now while researching the basis of why I am craving sugar (topped off with a bout of mild nausea) like a fiend all of a sudden (after, what I considered to be, a semi successful month or two of Zoning). FIEND.

After a lifetime of a well incorporated diet of carbs and all things unnaturally sweet, I think I might have hit a road block here trying to go all Paleo/Zone out. Strange to think that I'm eating the healthiest I've ever eaten and yet derive such an alarmingly contradictory response (physically, mentally and emotionally - huh?!).

Is my diet really to blame? Of course, this could have more serious underlinings than nutrition, but I have to start the prognosis somewhere.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Daniel Hoang

Profile:
Re: The Sugar Addict's Diet

does the zone call for no sugar? either way, i think your craving is normal. i don't have a sweet tooth or anything but if i cut sugar completely out of my diet, i know i would eventually crave something sweet. like maybe an ice cream sandwich i say go for it. satisfy the craving. i dont think its as slippery of a slope as the author of that article makes it out to be.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Aaron Van

Profile:
Re: The Sugar Addict's Diet

Sandy,

I would not put any faith in articles such as this. It is definetly trying to use scare tactics and cure all promises to get you to buy their products. If this person was living on sugar it would be no wonder that they had all those problems; it would be a complete lack of nutrition.

Diet soda?? Common!

Sugar cravings are normal. Sweet things taste good for a reason. What the reason is might be an evolutionary thing of which I don't know or care.

What I do care about is that I like sweet things and so I eat them. However, if I consume large amounts of refined sugar or flour (pop, chocolate, 1/2 litre of ice-cream) I will very predictably feel lethargic/nausea the next day. Sometimes I accept this concequence but most of the time I avoid it.

Instead I eat fruit and small amounts of honey or maple syrup (real maple syrup) to fill my needs. This is almost always with other high protien and fat foods.

I found living this way is easier and more enjoyable. Trying to cut out sugar completely leaves me irritable and constantly thinking about sweets (which would usually lead to a binge of some kind.)

Life is short and I intend to enjoy every food that I consume.