CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
Too Much Olive Oil?

As an active college student (rugby 3 times/week and usually a WOD 1 or 2 times per week too) I'm not too worried about gaining weight (though I could afford to).
However, I use a lot of olive oil in daily cooking: in the morning for fried eggs or in a smoothie, at dinner for vegetables and chicken. I'd say probably 2, possibly 2.5-3, cups per day of olive oil.
I know it's healthy, unprocessed fat, but is it OK to ingest that much fat (and I drink a gallon of whole milk every 2-3 days)?
I don't think my performance has dropped off, and I haven't had any noticable/unhealthy/unwanted weight gain so I assume that it's OK, right?
Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Michael Novicky

Profile:
Re: Too Much Olive Oil?

wow thats a lot of olive oil. one cup of olive oil has about well over 1000 calories quite possily close to 2000 i would use zone proportions and try to cut your olive oil intake to 1-4 tablespoons a day. i personally use 5 teaspoons a day and thats it.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

yea I second Micheal's opinion, one serving of olive oil is a tablespoon, which is a good amount. I have yet to cook my eggs with olive oil, but I doubt you need that much for breakfast, dinner and a smoothie. Zone proportions have you eating 1.5 grams of fat per block along with one block of protein (7 grams) and one block of carbs (9 grams). While the amount of fat would be small if you ate this way, people up their fat intake when they want to maintain their weight, but they don't eat as much fat as you are eating. So I would definitely decrease the amount of olive oil you use. Try getting some of your daily fat intake from nuts, such as walnuts, pecans or almonds.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Emily Mattes

Profile:

I mean, theoretically that's not a problem. If I were you I'd try to diversify my fat intake, but you don't have to worry about the high fat content of your diet as long as it's coming from healthy sources and you're not gaining weight.

Are you sure it's 2-3 cups? Seriously, I can't imagine you're using that much to saute vegetables and meat!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Are you sure it's 2-3 cups? Seriously, I can't imagine you're using that much to saute vegetables and meat!
I agree with Emily, 2-3 cups is a heck of a lot Olive Oil. Measure out three cups and look at it and see if that is really the amount your using. I keep my intake to around 4 tbls a day.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
I second that...

I use olive oil for everything too, and I don't come anywhere near that much. Measure out 3 cups of water and then can you realistically say you really drink that much olive oil?? That's a LOT. I'd have to actually start drinking it to get close to that, and I take little shots throughout the day.

I don't know the # of calories, but if you're really drinking that much, then you've got to be in caloric excess and I can't imagine you're not gaining any weight on that.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I would add in some coconut oil to diversify the fats, get some of those healthy saturated fats (that's not a joke) etc.

2-3 cups of oil is a lot of oil. I'd be surprised if anyone could afford that much olive oil.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #8
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Careful cooking with omega fats...they turn to trans-fats at high tempratures.
That sure is a lot of oil. 14ml of oil is 13g of fat, 2g of sat fat. That's 120cals. 2 cups is 500ml, so 500ml/14ml * 120cal = 4285cals
Now, I'm not a endocrinologist, but I don't think you could burn that...
so either A) you're not really taking in over 2 cups of oil, or B) you are taking it in and you have some sort of absorbsion issue...
Now...a personal question...does your poop float? j/k of course...
And, I'm with Derek...don't get all your oil from one place...and that's at least $5/day in oil!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:

Ok, so maybe I miscalculated a bit on the olive oil (didn't realize how much a cup was!) I tracked my intake today, and so far (it's 8:30 pm) I've used about a 1/2 cup of olive oil, and I don't plan on using anymore tonight.

I sought out and created an account on fitday.com to check my caloric intake. Obviously it's not 100% accurate as quantities and content differ a bit from reality, but here was my breakdown:

about 3500 calories
50% calories from fat [190 grams, 60% monosaturated] (olive oil, yogurt, whole milk, chicken, sausage)

32% calories from carbs [303 grams, 23 g fiber] (veggies, a roll for the sausage, fruits)

18% calories from protein [155 grams] (protein powder, milk, chicken, yogurts)

I know I should bump up the protein intake, but:
a) any suggestions for doing that without increasing fat?
b) is my fat intake too high? like I said earlier, I am active, I am not gaining weight, and it is predominantly unprocessed fats.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Ben
A half cup is fine, as long as you're free of steatorrhea.