CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-30-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
Joseph Hart

Profile:
1. Is there anyone in MN(Twin Cities) that CFs?
2. I have Wife, two kids, house, and a job (all the adult responsibilities:-) So not a whole lot of time. What is a good work/rest pattern? I know 3 on 1 off is the standard deal. Has anyone found a pattern that lets you progress (maybe alittle more slowly MWF?) and allow you to get everything else done and still take care of being responsible? What about making sure you cover the bases of fitness? Yes CF seems awfully straight forward (and short), but my kids seem to get the best answers out of me with the simplest questions (ie. Why?). Thanks
Old 03-30-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Joe,
I think you will get a lot of response from your area. There has been a lot of discussion on the board about being busy and fitting CrossFit in. Look up posts by Larry Lindenman. Larry's posts helped me because like him I have a family that is very important to me, two jobs and not enough time to sleep. I take Wed. and Sun. off and CrossFit the other days. As far as making sure I have my fitness bases covered, I would suggest reading the CF Journal on "What is fitness". CrossFit covers the bases for me, my family, and my students.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Joseph not from MN, but...I have a wife, two kids, commute 2:20 each day to work as a State Police detective, and teach martial arts, coach youth football, and work side jobs when they come up. A lot of people are busier than I am. I do the WOD every morning at 6:15 a.m. 3 days on 1 off. In about 1.5 years, I've missed about 5 workouts (not counting planned days off). You will find the time to workout if you really analyze your lifestyle. Crossfit training has way too many benifits to not do. Schedule a regular time every day, commit and you will succeed. Most other workout patterns really don't work too well, three days a week are really not enough to get the kind of adaptations were looking for, but...its better than nothing. With three days a week, your training volume would be half that of a regular Crosfitter. Good luck, I hope you jump on board and try.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Joe: from my perspective, the 3 on, 1 off cycle works out to roughly 5 days / week (on average) and is ideal. (A few people seem to have good results with a 5-on, 2-off cycle, but that doesn't work for me . . . I can't go hard 5 days in a row).

4 days / week seems (to me) to work almost as well as the 3-on, 1-off ideal. Gives me about 80, possibly 90% as much as the ideal. (I'm an old fart, I need my rest.)

3 days / week is pretty much the minimum to get the benefits. Yes, it will definitely produce much slower progress than 4 or 5 days a week, but I think you can still make progress . . . you can certainly stop, and partially reverse, that slow slide into decrepitude that most "adults" make when they acquire "responsibilities".

2 days / week is a bad thing. It's not enough to keep you in shape, just enough to torture you with visions and memories of what you could have been.

Don't even go near 1 day / week.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:14 AM   #5
Larry Cook

Profile:
Joseph;

What is your prior training experience? How fit are you at the moment? These are 2 key items in determining where you should start out.

3 days a week would be okay for a short while, until you get acclimated to the workouts, learn the moves, etc... basically, figuring out where you are at and how to scale the WODs to your level, if you need to.

After that, I'd agree that 4x/week seems to produce pretty good results, but that the 3/1 cycle is ideal.

I think if you start with 3x a week, in a short while you'll be looking to add sessions ... this is an addictive sort of thing, and Crossfit pretty well covers all of the fitness bases.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2005, 05:08 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Larry L, I feel sorry for your wife. Does she ever see you?!?! Do you ever sleep?! I'll never complain again that we're too busy! :crazy:
Old 04-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
Jared Probst

Profile:

When i started crossfit i was working three jobs, so i can understand how hard it can be to work working out into your schedule. I think you will be pleasantly suprised that after you adapt to the excersices you will rarely be spending more than 40 minutes a day in the gym... if you even have to go to the gym to workout.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:15 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Veronica, it all works out, commuting sucks though!