CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
Dave Hurst

Profile:
Dave's Fitness Log

Hi guys,

Thought I best start recording what fitness work I do, and as I don't like using a nib and ink, might as well do it online.

Small bit of background about me. I've recently graduated from University and subject to a final selection course at the end of January I will be commencing officer training at Sandhurst in September for the British Army. Fitness wise right now I am fit enough to pass the physical aspects of the selection course, however this standard falls very short of what my eventual goals are and what will be expected at me at Sandhurst. I've done traditional weight lifting (although I'm not genetically gifted to that sort of training) and also do long distance running. I've mixed these up of late with bodyweight training such as pushups and situps which are required for my selection (44 pushups, 50 situps, both in 2 minutes, which I can already do). There is also an obstacle course and you're expected to run 1.5miles (2.4km) in 10:30 (my PR which I achieved about 2 weeks ago is 9:12).

Thursday 31st December 2009

500 metres warmup on treadmill at 11km/h

Did full Angie as prescribed in WOD.

100 Pull-ups
100 Push-ups
100 Sit-ups
100 Squats

Total time was 34:30

Pullups definitely my weak point although the frame location in the gym doesn't allow for much swinging to kip. Proceeded to get wasted (drunk) New Years Eve so skipped New Years Day but I'm now going to work one day behind.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Dave Hurst

Profile:
Re: Dave's Fitness Log

Saturday 2nd January 2010

Ran to gym (5 minutes)
Gym closed
Ran back from gym (5 minutes)

Did Scaled Cindy from 01/01/10 WOD

3 Pull-ups
6 Push-ups
9 Squats

Did 21 full rounds in 19:59. Didn't bother trying to do an extra pull up with my spare second
Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Dave Hurst

Profile:

Sunday 3rd January 2010

Ran to gym (5 minutes)
500m warmup on treadmill 11km/h

Scaled Barbara from 02/01/10 WOD

5 rounds of:

10 pull-ups
20 push-ups
30 sit-ups
40 squats

3 minutes rest between each round.

I forgot to time the rounds, but I went through it as fast as I could which I suppose is what matters most.

500m cooldown at 8km/h and some stretching

I don't know which muscle it is beneath your ribcage on your back, but its sore. Quads a bit sore too. But I managed to jog back from gym without any pain.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Dave Hurst

Profile:

Monday 4th January 2010

Active Rest

3.5mile (5.6km) cross-country run

My favourite route, usually there are lots of deep bogs and puddles that cool your feet/ankles down every half mile or so. Today however, the ground was solid frozen and it was covered in a cm or so of snow.

Out lap surprisingly quick at 13:59 (my PR for out lap is about 13:30)
In lap pretty decent considering its mostly uphill on the way back plus the conditions 14:58

Total 28:57 (PR is 27:26)

Pretty damn good time considering the conditions and how much my quads are hurting after all the squats.

Also did a good leg stretch afterwards.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
Dave Hurst

Profile:

Tuesday 5th January 2010

Three rounds of:

8 pull ups
24 diamond (tricep) pushups
50 squats

Time: 12:44

Not as an involved workout as usual but impressed already how much easier pull ups seem to be. I was also pretty close with my first pull up to converting it into a bar muscle up.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Dave Hurst

Profile:

Wednesday 6th January 2010

Five rounds of:

400 metres run
30 sit-ups

Forgot to take my watch to gym again. I was pretty confident about posting a decent time for this as well as I'm a decent'ish' runner. The later rounds of situps were broken up a little bit but the running I did as follows:

Round 1 @ 17km/h
Round 2 @ 17km/h
Round 3 @ 17km/h
Round 4 @ 16km/h 200m 17km/h 200m
Round 5 @ 16km/h 300m 17km/h 100m

Fairly pooped. Looking forward to Friday rest day, probably won't be active rest.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Dave Hurst

Profile:

Thursday 7th January 2010

Five rounds of:

35 Thrusters (7kg dumbbell in each hand)
15 pull ups

Some chump ruined my workout by using the cable machine to do bicep curls, when there are plenty of free weights everywhere in the gym, whereas there is only one frame where you can do pull ups which happens to be the cable machine. Regardless, after doing the first 35 thrusters I did think there was no chance of being able to do another 100+, the breaks became longer and the sets became shorter, but eventually finished.

Round 1 was only 2:40, round 5 was around 4:50, round 4 where chumpo was doing his curls was about 9:30.

Totalled 27:30, realistically could have managed <23:00.

Full rest tomorrow, quads popping.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #8
Dave Hurst

Profile:

Sunday 10th January 2010
After two full days rest from what had been a very hard week with no rest at all, two weeks prior to final selection I thought I'd put myself through the final Army Physical Fitness Assessment but do it twice over and see if I could pass it on the second attempt as well as the first.

The Aim:

1.5 miles (2.4km) in <10:30
Rest 2 minutes
44 military style (tricep focused) pushups in 2 minutes or less
Rest 2 minutes
50 military style anchored (no use of arms for momentum) sit-ups in 2 minutes or less.

Very passable but I was planning on resting again for 2 minutes and running through it again.

I set off running at 15km/h and after 800m I was feeling it abundantly more than I should have (my PR for 1.5 miles is 9:12), I had to slow down considerably up until 2000m, then speed up to save myself. Managed to squeeze over the finish line in 10:28. I was massively dissapointed with this. I was planning on doing it in 10:00 and feeling invigorated, it had taken 28 seconds longer than planned and I felt dead.

I rested 2 minutes whilst kicking a few things being angry.

Set off on push ups, setted them at 20-20-4. Finished with good time to spare, and rest again.

Sit-ups started well, did first 30 in 30 seconds. When setting sit-ups, British Army rules are that you must rest up right, you can't lay back, so your stomach is engaged whilst resting which is fairly awful. Do another set of 10 rest. Do 4 more and the timer goes. Somehow I failed, I took 1:30 to do 14 situps. Total mismanagement of time.

I didn't bother to do it the second time as I knew I had no chance at getting inside 10:30 for the running.

So so so so so disappointed with this, especially considering I passed this test way back in August and I'm in way better shape now than I was then. I don't know what happened. I'm going to ignore the WODs for a week at least and work on running, pushups and situps.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #9
Dave Hurst

Profile:

Monday 11th January 2010

500m @ 9km/h warm-up

AMRAP in 20 minutes:

5 pull-ups
10 push-ups
15 sit-ups

12 complete rounds, I think I've harmed my sit-ups by doing sit-ups on a bench for a few months as way back in August I could do 100 uninterrupted anchored military sit-ups, I'd be struggling for 40 now. Very happy with push ups and pull ups though, in a very short time I've improved form, pace and repetition.

500m cooldown to finish with some stretching. Hoping to get a proper run done tomorrow assuming all the snow disappears.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #10
Dave Hurst

Profile:

Tuesday 12th January 2010

3.5mile (5.6km) cross-country run

Time: 31:02

There is still loads of snow about so a long road run was out of the question. I decided to do my cross-country route again, where the snow was very very deep. Didn't really test my CV fitness, but my ankles and legs got a real good workout just from keeping balance. Any time I tried to accelerate I would just slip so not so bothered about the time.