CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
Michael Dowling

Profile:
good video on low bar squat

i watched mark ripetoes intro to the low bar squat from the main site, it was good but it doesn't show execution or lining the bar up properly, or actually doing the squat.

i switched over to low bar today for a 5 RM of 190 (linear program week 4). overall i think i did it ok but i'm not certain. the weight felt a bit heavier on my back under the traps instead of on top of the traps and it felt a little tougher on my wrist and shoulders getting into that position but the squat felt more natural and while it is still very light weight compared to most it's fairly heavy for me and it went up pretty easy, i can see me repping 50 lbs more pretty easy right now.

i'll get a video up when i squat next, but i would like to see a video of a low back squat with proper form. there are millions on youtube but you never really know what you're looking at.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: good video on low bar squat

You should be able to find a bunch of Rip's videos floating around where he talks about hip drive. Or go through the last few months of 70s Big blog posts and look for some of their training or competition videos.

If your wrists are hurting you're most likely trying to support the bar with your hands and not your back. If your shoulders are hurting you probably need to work on mobility.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

I think the "Squat Rx" videos on youtube do a pretty good job covering the squat. There is an entire series of videos to watch.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

When you post a video, get a couple of angles so we can clearly see depth and your hands.

My wrists used to hurt all the time. I made 2 simple changes, first I put my thumb over the bar with my fingers, this forced me to pin the bar to my back with pressure from my arms instead of holding onto the bar in the palms of my hands (which really bends your wrists back).

Once I put my thumb over the bar, I had to move my arms out. I'm only 5'6", so when I had my thumb wrapped around the bar I was able to put my hands just outside the innermost knurling. With my thumb over, I couldn't really pin the bar right, so I moved my grip to the first markings in the knurling. This helped get the bar lower for LBBS and also took tension off the shoulders and wrists. If you aren't having to put your hands at the collars, I'd widen your grip a little and see how that works.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Michael Dowling

Profile:

thanks for the replies, i will take a look at the video recommendations when i'm off work tonight.

i do feel a bit of back discomfort, i would call it a stiffness or a touch of soreness. not sure if it's just from the deadlifts on sunday and not recovering or what. but is it normal to feel a little stiffness in the lower back after 5 X 3 squats? i'm super-paranoid about herniated discs and may just be over-thinking it.

my shoulders don't hurt per se it's more a stretch getting into the low bar squat position. as for wrists i went to the thumb-less grip and i'm trying to keep the wrists straight. i think i'm just putting too much pressure unnecessarily to keep the bar in place because of the new bar position.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
Struan Potter

Profile:

http://www.againfaster.com/the-micd-...ack-squat.html

The video also goes into the high bar back squat and which squat to use for different purposes.