CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Preston Sprimont

Profile:
proper way to painball/foamroll/trigger point/etc?

Simple question: is there a proper technique for doing trigger point and painball business? (I don't have a roller at the moment, so I'm mostly using various balls. hah)
I follow the mobilitywod fairly frequently, so I'm generally going off of Kstarr's instruction on this stuff, but I get the feeling that I'm doing something wrong or missing some general knowledge. Sometimes I feel more sore AFTER painballing... like, significantly more sore. And other times I just feel as if I'm not making much progress.
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Josh R James

Profile:
Re: proper way to painball/foamroll/trigger point/etc?

Kstarr is the man! I find him a great therapist and also entertainer..

A few questions..

How soft are the balls that you are using?

Are you using the ball on more specific spots such as adhesion's (knots, tight spots)?

How are you using the balls? e.g longitudinal, transverse rolling/pressure applied?

Josh-
Old 04-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh R James View Post
Kstarr is the man! I find him a great therapist and also entertainer..

A few questions..

How soft are the balls that you are using?

Are you using the ball on more specific spots such as adhesion's (knots, tight spots)?

How are you using the balls? e.g longitudinal, transverse rolling/pressure applied?

Josh-
Agreed! Kstarr is pretty much a celebrity in my eyes.

I use tennis balls--single and two taped together, going to order some lacrosse balls soon, and I use a hard ball that's used to practice batting for baseball (those yellow dimpled balls... pretty darn hard)... But I don't use that one too much because if I spend too much time on it I end up getting spots on my skin (bruising or something from the dimples on the ball) that stick around for a few days...

I mostly just do the prescribed mobilitywod or I hit whatever needs attention. Usually thoracic area, high ribs and shoulders, and hammies.

As far as how I use them, I'm not sure of the technical terms... For hammies I tend to just roll up and down the leg, stick around ugly spots and try to make small circles with my leg... for thoracic area I usually just roll up and down with my arms hugging myself or overhead. For shoulders I do about the same, try to get some small circular motion in the ugly spots, and move my arm from at my side to overhead to get the tissues sliding.

As for the amount of pressure applied, I usually just lay on the ball and roll around, occasionally do it up against a wall for shoulders. No additional weight or pressure added into the mix.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

Honestly Preston, that sounds just about right! KStar harps on "improvised freestyling"...just find things that hurt on your body, and hammer that muscle.

The only real precautions to take are if you're starting to hit nerves, so if you get any tingles or numbness, stop there.

Rolling will be *excrutiatingly* painful. Like, to the point of tears. Your first few weeks of rolling will be painful and lasting, but as your muscles loosen and get less "sticky", it should be less painful and you'll be able to push harder.

If you're worried about your efficiency, just do the before/after tests. If you're working thoracic/shoulder/rip areas, test your overhead shoulder positioning, and if you're working your lower body, test your squat. It should be obvious which side you just worked on.

If you can get a foam roller (or 6" PVC pipe for the brave), get one! It is essential for hitting the IT band and legs, I think.

Good luck, and remember no horse face!
Old 04-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stanek View Post
Honestly Preston, that sounds just about right! KStar harps on "improvised freestyling"...just find things that hurt on your body, and hammer that muscle.

The only real precautions to take are if you're starting to hit nerves, so if you get any tingles or numbness, stop there.

Rolling will be *excrutiatingly* painful. Like, to the point of tears. Your first few weeks of rolling will be painful and lasting, but as your muscles loosen and get less "sticky", it should be less painful and you'll be able to push harder.

If you're worried about your efficiency, just do the before/after tests. If you're working thoracic/shoulder/rip areas, test your overhead shoulder positioning, and if you're working your lower body, test your squat. It should be obvious which side you just worked on.

If you can get a foam roller (or 6" PVC pipe for the brave), get one! It is essential for hitting the IT band and legs, I think.

Good luck, and remember no horse face!
Awesome, thank you for the info.

One more question: is it normal or at least not-bad to have more soreness after I painball or foamroll for a while? It's not always like this, but there have been some times (upper back once and calves once) where my muscles just feel tender and wrecked after giving them a good beating with the painball. Granted, both times it was after a workout that worked those areas hard, but the soreness was pretty unexpectedly high.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Get the lacross balls if you want but I haven't noticed any improvment by going to lacrosse balls. Maybe if you were using an atlas stone to weigh yourself down on it though.....
Old 04-07-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Get the lacross balls if you want but I haven't noticed any improvment by going to lacrosse balls. Maybe if you were using an atlas stone to weigh yourself down on it though.....
Atlas stone -- good plan. The bigger the better, I assume?

In all seriousness though, what did you use before a lacrosse ball? Or what do you use instead? To be honest, I don't know if I've ever felt a lacrosse ball, so I'm just going off of hearsay... but I assume that it's harder than a tennis ball, and I also assume that if the ball is harder it will dig into the tissues better...
Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #8
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston Sprimont View Post
To be honest, I don't know if I've ever felt a lacrosse ball, so I'm just going off of hearsay... but I assume that it's harder than a tennis ball, and I also assume that if the ball is harder it will dig into the tissues better...
Lacrosse balls are much harder because they are solid rubber, not hollow like a tennis ball. I'd recommend getting one to try. You can get them pretty cheap from Amazon.com (WFS). And just a FYI, with shipping they are $4 for one, $6 for two.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #9
Donald Lee

Profile:

Pain will elicit a reflexive contraction of the muscle. The goal with self-massage is to elicit a therapeutic response. Self-massage should not cause bruising or leave you sore. Just like with exercise, you should ease into it. This may mean a tennis ball is a better place to start than a lacrosse ball, but it all depends on the individual and the body part you're working.

The only time massage should cause pain or bruising is if you're trying to re-align old scar tissue, and I doubt many people would try to do that on themselves.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #10
Preston Sprimont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
Lacrosse balls are much harder because they are solid rubber, not hollow like a tennis ball. I'd recommend getting one to try. You can get them pretty cheap from Amazon.com (WFS). And just a FYI, with shipping they are $4 for one, $6 for two.
Cool, thank you. I'll probably add those to my arsenal soon.