CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Poor gains due to lack of sleep

I do make progress but not like I should or sometimes do. I have always had trouble sleeping. In fact its so bad that I tend to get sick from over exaustion.

I eat a lot of food and I eat healthy. That is not an issue.

I believe the main issue is lack of sleep for me. I tend to toss and turn through the nite. If I go to bed for 8 hours I usually get about 5 or 6 and it is never solid. I always wake up during the night. I have not gone to sleep and woke up in the morning since I was 16.

I find that when I take sleeping pills I feel much better in the morning. My body and my mind feels rested and alert. I just dont want to resort to that and that is why I am posting this.

Does anybody have any advice on sleeping? I would desperately like to fix my issue.

-Bryce
Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Robert Walsh

Profile:
Re: Poor gains due to lack of sleep

Tried melatonin? And limit caffeine to the morning if you do drink it.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Kelly Alford

Profile:

Have you tried making your bedroom cooler? White noise? Do you have an iPhone? There is an app called Sleep Cycle that both tracks your sleep pattern as well as wakes you at the "right" part of your sleep cycle so that you are the least groggy.

I hesitate on Melatonin, at least for a long term solution, as it is something produced by your body- and from what I understand, when you take melatonin, eventually your body basically slacks off and doesn't produce as much on it's own, so you are kind of stuck in a loop....

Try cooler room - in the neighborhood of 60-65 degress and cutting back on caffiene very first.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Aside from what has been mentioned

Cut back on training frequency and intensity
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Aside from what has been mentioned

Cut back on training frequency and intensity
Sorry for the dumb question, but why?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
Sorry for the dumb question, but why?
because overtraining/overreaching can lead to insomnia and poor sleep quality...
Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
because overtraining/overreaching can lead to insomnia and poor sleep quality...
OK so the point is not to over train. Got it. I had never though on it befor. BUt I though that is you did a really hard days work and were exausted you would sleep from that. I am taking it that this though is wrong?
Old 02-22-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
OK so the point is not to over train. Got it. I had never though on it befor. BUt I though that is you did a really hard days work and were exausted you would sleep from that. I am taking it that this though is wrong?
For one day, sure. The problem is when you overstress the system for days or weeks on end. The body responds to stress by pumping out adrenaline and other stress hormones, which interfere with sleep. We've all had trouble sleeping before or after the "big game," the big presentation, the big life event. Normally, once the stress passes, the system settles back to a normal baseline. But if the next day is just as stressful, and the next, and the next... big problems.

Katherine
Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
For one day, sure. The problem is when you overstress the system for days or weeks on end. The body responds to stress by pumping out adrenaline and other stress hormones, which interfere with sleep. We've all had trouble sleeping before or after the "big game," the big presentation, the big life event. Normally, once the stress passes, the system settles back to a normal baseline. But if the next day is just as stressful, and the next, and the next... big problems.

Katherine
AH!! Got it!! Great point.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
Bryce Horrell

Profile:

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am definitely going to try a cooler room.

Steven,

I thought about overreaching/overtraining. At this current time I am only working out 3 days a week for about 1.5-2 hours. I think maybe my work can contribute to overreaching. The fact that lately I have been working 70 hour work weeks combined with lifting and studying for my CSCS could be too exausting possibly.

Sometimes I forget that I am not an elite athlete. Maybe 3 or 4 days isnt too much but it could be when I am not sleeping. Maybe 2 days is better for someone who doesnt sleep very well. I dont remember if you remember Steven but I have a little bit of bicep tendinitis still going on. I noticed that every time I sleep well it feels good and when I dont sleep it feels terrible. Maybe I should cut back to 2 days a week for a while.

My over time has ended and now I am back on my normal work schedule. Tonight I am going to try some of the things you guys mentioned. Ill let you know how it works.