CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Bart Jones

Profile:

OK, I don't have anyone who can really watch me and tell me if I'm doing this movement right but I'll try to explain how it feels to me when I do it. I drive my legs down and pop the weight up and try to keep my arms back. However, when the weight comes down, I am not in the full squat yet, but I continue to lower myself. From there I drive up and lower the weight. The question is, should I be feeling the weight come down when I am in the full squat position or is it ok to catch it before this and just lower myself down? I hope that makes sense.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The idea is to lock out your arms as soon as possible. Speed, speed and more speed under the bar. There should be very little bar drop before you've locked out the bar overhead. You should also not have to pop the weight up very far at all. It's mostly a goal of you getting under the bar. Fast. From there continue descending into the full squat, which may not be that much further down.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
It should be ONE MOTION from the bar racked across your back standing to the squat snatch bottom position. Drop into the squat and push the bar overhead in one QUICK motion - BAM!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:27 AM   #4
Mathew F. Bunch

Profile:
this makes perfect sense. my partner was having the same problem. i think the following contributed: 1) lack of concentration; and 2) too much weight combined with a lack of skill. after completion of the work sets we unloaded the bar and practiced this movement for 3 sets of 5 reps and had much better form than at the beginning of the set. hope this helps.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
Bart Jones

Profile:

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll just practice with the bar. I had it up to 135 but I had to lower myself into the squat position, which i guess makes it more like an over head squat. With the help from these boards I improved my Overhead squat. Found that I wasn't taking a wide enough grip. Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
quick tip - snatch balances are a technique exercise and NOT a strength exercise - keep the weights light!