CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
C James Barton

Profile:
James Starts Stength

Started over here:

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=33018

I've been working out regularly for about nine months now, but not Crossfit. I'm starting off with a few months of "Starting Strength", alongside CFE and a few assistance exercises.

I still have two-day soreness from doing squats, but I guess that will pass. Also still not quite sure of form on many of these exercises, but getting better. Will be perfect before I hit the big weights.

This morning I did this:

http://www.crossfitendurance.com/blog.php?id=94

Fouled up the programming, did 2898 metres in 10 * 1 minute of rowing, with varying rests.

This afternoon, I'll be doing an "A" day (squat, bench press, deadlift) plus assistance.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Matthew Green

Profile:
Re: James Starts Stength

Hey James,

Just a quick question, I read your thread earlier. Are you going to follow SS strictly? I was just wondering as you said you are also doing CF endurance workouts. You will make strength gains a lot quicker if you follow SS without any additional workouts as it is based copious amounts of rest and equally high caloric intake.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Matthew Green

Profile:

P.S. I managed to avoid anything 'Jumprope' (damn my adopting these americanisms) for months..... but it really is a great thing to learn and with a bit of dedication you very quickly become adept. I'm still nowhere near the double under stage (i just sort of jump higher and look like a *** when I attempt it).

As for plyo boxes, GHD, not many Globo Gyms near me have these, so I tend to use whatever I can......... e.g. high benches (stacked boxes), dip bars for GHD, you're only limited by your imagination and if worst comes to worst then I generally head to a park with a Dumbell to do some swings/snatches/sprints/pullups.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
C James Barton

Profile:

Thanks for the welcome Matt. And no, that wasn't supposed to be a pun.

Fair point about SS. It seems like people suggest Starting Strength as a drop-in replacement for CF for a few months, so I thought it would go along all right with CFE, but that's hardly air-tight reasoning.

Truthfully though, I don't want to lose my current endurance conditioning if I can avoid it. I think I'll try cutting back CFE to 3 times a week, alternating with the SS workouts. If I don't get gains, I'll cut back further.

I lost a couple of stone (~30 lbs to any Americans) late last year and earlier this year. Now I have to train myself to eat when I don't want to :-) I'm struggling to get through half a gallon of skimmed...
Old 06-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
C James Barton

Profile:

So for the A day, I did this:

Squat:
1 * 5 * 0
1 * 5 * 20 (unweighted bar)
1 * 5 * 30
1 * 5 * 40
3 * 5 * 52.5

Squat form problems - knees wonder in, weight drifts from heels to midfoot, I keep looking in the mirror

Dumbbell Bench Press
1 * 5 * 8
1 * 5 * 12
3 * 5 * 18

Bench has always been weak for me, and I've had shoulder problems before with some chest/triceps exercises. The gym's dumbbells are in 2 kg increments, so I won't be able to go linear on those for long at all - I'll eventually have to cross over to the barbell for finer weight control.

Deadlift
1 * 5 * 30
1 * 5 * 40
3 * 5 * 52.5

Realise looking at this that I missed out form practice on an empty bar.

Finished off drilling power cleans with an empty bar, but I should have done that first.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Jason Lin

Profile:

James,

You didn't do DL wrong. You're not supposed to warm up with empty bar since it will get you into too low of a starting postion.

Oh wait ... you did do something wrong there! You only need to do 1 set of 5 on DL. 3 X 5 is way too much - especially when the weights start to get heavy.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
C James Barton

Profile:

Thanks for pointing that out, I'd missed that. Everyone's so helpful on this forum, makes a pleasant change :-)

The DL's the only one that really raises a sweat, which is funy when the squat is the same weight. I'll gladly cut back now to save myself later.

I was expecting my gym trip to be much shorter than usual, but I spent 25 minutes waiting for the single squat cage, trying not to cool off to much by doing the odd set of chins. The guy must have had 200+ kg on the bar at the end, but he wasn't going past 45 degrees. No wonder he took so long to tire himself out!
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #8
C James Barton

Profile:

Got a cold today, so stayed away from work and the gym :-( But I never stint myself when I'm feeling ill, so I'm sure I'll get enough calories today. Hope I'm good for a "B" day tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #9
C James Barton

Profile:

Still feeling crappy today, but I figured what the heck. Went for a "B" day:

Squat:
1 * 5 * 0
1 * 5 * 20 (unweighted bar)
1 * 5 * 30
1 * 5 * 42.5
3 * 5 * 55

My knees didn't wonder in. I was testing my proprioception when doing the squats unweighted - my thighs do reach parallel when I think they do, so I should be able to stop looking in the mirror. The persistent problem is that the weight drifts to the middle or front of the foot. Unweighted, I stay over my heels, and I think about pushing my backside out. Once weighted, there's a drift forward. I keep my toes up, but still it goes forward. Seems worse as I rise - I wonder if I'm pushing forward in order to make it easier?

Press
1 * 5 * 20
1 * 5 * 25
3 * 5 * 30

The bar goes up neatly, but it doesn't come down the same way. I think I'm having trouble with the idea of lowering close to my head. Will practice more with unweighted bar.

Power Clean
3 * 5 * 25

Not at all happy with my form. I think I need to go back to an empty bar until it's right. With little weight, the bar comes up all right, but it comes up further on the right than on the left - I might be failing to shrug the left shoulder. The bar doesn't rack cleanly. When I used more weight, I found I was leaning back rather than crouching to catch the bar. All round, pretty sucky.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #10
C James Barton

Profile:

CFE day:
http://www.crossfitendurance.com/blog.php?id=101

Tabata on a C2 - 944m total.