CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
John Stafford

Profile:
Snatch feet and balance

So I tried snatches for the first time since hurting my back doing them a while back. I was smart this time and did it nice and light. Used one of those little silver bars (~15 pounds I think), and took my time to get the form right. I just had a couple questions on the proper form, mostly with the feet.

1. My school gym has those connected mats on the floor, so I was using one of the cracks to gauge where my feet were landing. I started with the crack about the middle of my foot right on the arch. I noticed that more than a few times I ended up landing with the crack on my heel. Is this good/bad/ok?

2. How wide should my feet shoot out with the landing? I start with them a little narrower than shoulder and go out maybe 3-5 inches out to the side from there on the landing. Again, good/bad/ok?

3. My feet tend to go from straight ahead to maybe a 45 degree angle. Is this ok?

4. Finally, I tended to have a little bit of trouble with my balance coming out of the landing. More than a couple times I had to take a big step either forward or backward to stay up. Is there any paticular way to work on this or do I just need practice?

Thanks a lot
Old 06-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Re: Snatch feet and balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stafford View Post
So I tried snatches for the first time since hurting my back doing them a while back. I was smart this time and did it nice and light. Used one of those little silver bars (~15 pounds I think), and took my time to get the form right. I just had a couple questions on the proper form, mostly with the feet.

1. My school gym has those connected mats on the floor, so I was using one of the cracks to gauge where my feet were landing. I started with the crack about the middle of my foot right on the arch. I noticed that more than a few times I ended up landing with the crack on my heel. Is this good/bad/ok?

Ideally you'd want to displace back a little, not forward. But, a couples inches forward isn't that big a concern once in a while - just be aware and try to correct it.

2. How wide should my feet shoot out with the landing? I start with them a little narrower than shoulder and go out maybe 3-5 inches out to the side from there on the landing. Again, good/bad/ok?

Wide enough to get into a full squat. You're landing stance should=your squat stance

3. My feet tend to go from straight ahead to maybe a 45 degree angle. Is this ok? perfectly fine

4. Finally, I tended to have a little bit of trouble with my balance coming out of the landing. More than a couple times I had to take a big step either forward or backward to stay up. Is there any paticular way to work on this or do I just need practice?

Be sure you're activating the entire shoulder girdle. Everything should be locked out and tight with your arms just slightly behind the plane of the ears, think, "head through the window" and "reach for the ceiling" even as you're going down into the squat.

Thanks a lot
Your'e welcome
Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
John Stafford

Profile:
Re: Snatch feet and balance

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll throw this question on here instead of starting a new thread. I'm doing the fight gone bad wod this afternoon but my gym is a little light on the necessary equipment, so I can't really do the ball throws, the box jumps or the rower. What are good subs for these? I was thinking of doing something explosive for the ball throws and the jumps. Like a db swing for one and a db snatch for the other. Or maybe even taking a chance to work on my snatch form with light weight again. Are regular cable rows a good sub for the rower?