CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:
Faster progress, main site WOD or make up your own?

Do you think you make faster progress if you follow the main site WOD or make up your own WOD as per the template?

Now I know that this has a lot of variables such as difference in starting point, rest, nutrition etc. But with so many crossfitters out there, has any one picked up indicators of different rates of progress?
Old 04-27-2008, 01:08 AM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Faster progress, main site WOD or make up your own?

I'm not sure what template you're talking about, but bear in mind that "the founders" and powers that be, along with most affiliate owners, have more knowledge about anatomy and fitness than just "what gets you sore." I'm sure a lot of thought, method and preparation goes into the order of the WODs as well as the WODs themselves.

Not to say that there's no other [better] alternative, but unless you possess that sort of anatomical, physiological and biological knowledge, I'd think it's a lot more efficient and effective to just follow the main page WOD. If you think you can, then give it a shot and decide for yourself which feels more effective to you personally. No harm in trying it out
Old 04-27-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

I'm talking about the template in the CFJ.

A friend and I have been doing cf for over 2 years, he went for main site wods with a lot of substitutions as he built up his home gym. I went for a bit of main site wod, and a mixture as per the template in CFJ.

On reflection his progress was greater than mine. This could be down to a whole host of different reasons. I was curious if others had seen any thing similar over time.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
Tom Fetter

Profile:

You know, it just depends on your goals.

If you want to get better at everything, at about the same pace, do the mainpage WODs. If you want more strength gains, do the MEBB variation. If you want more metcon gains, I suppose you could sub out some of the max lifting days for more metcon.

What will give faster "progress" depends on what you want to progress towards...
Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 AM   #5
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Just out of curriosity, what was your test to see who was improving more? What it just who was getting better at the WODs?
Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

This reminds me of an interesting conversation I had with Brian Mulvaney, an OC ("original crossfitter) at CFSC way back in the day. He and I were discussing this exact subject and Greg Amundson's name came up (as an example) and Brian said that everyone wants to tweak the main page WoD in some way or make some little personal change to reflect their own views on fitness, but he remembered that Greg A., when he first started at CFSC, was NOT one of the studs. At all. But as Brian described him, he was one of the most "rules compliant" people in terms of following Coach's prescriptions and proscriptions.

Bottom line for me? You want to get fit (as CF defines it): show up, do the mainpage WoD, eat right. TADAAA!!

I get cranky if I can't do the WoD, but sometimes life simply won't allow the minutes (setting up affiliate, travel for business, kids, family illnesses, etc.) But that's my views on it and I'm pretty sure that OPT says much the same thing about how he got into the shape he's in. Those are good enough examples for me.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
Emily Mattes

Profile:

I figure I could use the template, but I don't have the skills or knowledge of Glassman to use it to its greatest effectiveness or tailor it to my specific needs, whatever they are. So why not follow the WOD, if it's given freely?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Mainpage. Saying it in a different way than my friend Dale, but the best Crossfitters out there follow the mainpage WOD.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #9
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Just out of curriosity, what was your test to see who was improving more? What it just who was getting better at the WODs?
yes, and it was not very scientific

more like

"your smoking me you b$%$@rd"

he lives a healthy life running a dive shop on the beach in the philippines and i work for a living

but it got me thinking
Old 04-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Martin View Post
Mainpage. Saying it in a different way than my friend Dale, but the best Crossfitters out there follow the mainpage WOD.
I'd agree with you.

Looking back over my own logs, you tend to put in the exercises you like and avoid the ones you don't.

I suppose it leads to another question. Why do so many affiliates do their own thing?