CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
Justin Andrew Joiner

Profile:
Two questions

Vitals
BW/H: 142 5'10
Very active

1. I am currently working off of a zone diet plan, with 3x 4 block meals a day and 2x 2 block snack between. if for some reason im up for 16 or more hours ill eat a fourth 4 block meal. i still seem enormously hungry sometimes, ive tried increasing my fat intake in every meal and just increasing it around the times when i know ill want to eat another meal (which is supposed to be a snack) within 2 hours. neither technique seems to be working for me.

i lead a pretty active lifestyle that includes WOD 6 days a week, Physical training at work, swimming, and a variety of sports. about one day a week ill just take it easy. I have plenty of energy, and dont crash regularly.

Should i start eating 4 block meals and 3 black snacks with no extra fat? 5 block meals with 2 block snacks? i've read about guys eating 200g of fat a day, but im not sure i need that kind of calorie boost. anyone had this problem? or at least a solution?

2. I LOVE RED MEAT. Everything i have read on the subject leans towards moderation in the red meat department, so i try to limit it to no more than 4 meals a week as far as RM goes. Am i okay to eat more often, or am i already on the threshold?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Re: Two questions

Justin, if I read correctly that you are 142lbs at 5'10" I would suggest that you let yourself eat a bit more. I would say have an extra meal or two at four blocks. The only reason not to would be to maintain your current bodyweight or to lose weight. If you are not trying to do either why not experiment? Ultimately the recommedations are truely starting points and as you become more experienced with them you can adjust them to fit your needs and lifestyle. Again, in your specific case I would say eat some more blocks as long as you are not worried about potentially gaining some weight.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Forgot about the second question. I eat about a pound of grassfed beef a day. I am not afraid of a little red meat. If you do find some compelling evidence that suggests otherwise I would love to have more information myself.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Personally I think you can eat as much lean mean as you want.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
Scott Clark

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Andrew Joiner View Post
I LOVE RED MEAT. Everything i have read on the subject leans towards moderation in the red meat department, so i try to limit it to no more than 4 meals a week as far as RM goes. Am i okay to eat more often, or am i already on the threshold?
There's a night/day difference between conventional red meat and grassfed. I, too, would love to see non-biased evidence against high quality grassfed beef.

At 5'10 and 142, I'd say to hell with blocks and eat, eat, eat and lift, WOD, lift.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
Justin Andrew Joiner

Profile:

hahahahaha

question 1:

i appreciate the responses guys. i think im just trying to convince myself that its okay to eat an extra meal or two occasionally. by the responses i'm getting, 5'10 142 can afford a few hundred more calories a day. as long as i keep my meals in zone parameters, i don't think ill be hurting myself to badly in the calorie department. i suppose i should just play with my daily calorie intake until i can go without feeling famished for 2 hours between meals.

question 2:

HELL YEAH, i love me some beef!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Derek Weaver

Profile:

I too have no problem with any sort of lean meat. I maybe wouldn't be going for highly marbeled cuts, but leaner cuts oughtta be fine.

As for only 16 blocks/day at 142 lbs. at 5'10". Screw it. Eat a ton. Usually the feeling around here is that you shouldn't be worried about a number on a scale. However, that's pretty light. If you're happy at your current weight/build then go ahead and stick to the Zone, but I'd think that based on your height/weight ratio alone that you could afford something more like 17-19 blocks.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
Darren Zega

Profile:  

Agreed,

WHen I first started the zone I phsycially couldn't eat more than 16-17 blocks and I lost weight like it was nobody's business. Fortunately I had several hundred pancake breakfasts around my waist so it was no big deal, but since then I've upped to 18 X2 fat and leveled off at about 165 and eyball guessing 12% BF (depending on the test cause I'm too cheap for a dexa).

Ditto the grassfed comment.

No I'm not part of the hippie cruelty free craze, but animals, like people, get fat and unhealthy when they eat processed grain. When you eat the grain-fed animals you get just as fat and unhealty.

Last edited by Darren Zega; 12-17-2007 at 09:59 PM..