CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-30-2006, 06:01 AM   #1
Jon Daniel Hoberg

Profile:
I've been Crossfitting for about 2 months now, and am very pleased with the results. It's by far the ultimate in physical training. My issue is that when I'm doing the cardio focused WOD's. The ones like today when we are sustaining high intensity throughout the entire workout trying to get good times. About 1/3 of the way into the workout I'm getting very light headed, feeling like I'm going to puke, and a little shakey. Am I missing something in my diet, do I just suk in the cardio/stamina dept, or am i just pushing to hard?? I push till i get to the pukin stage then i have to break for a while before resuming the WOD. Any input would be helpfull. Thanks Crossfit for everything.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Jon,

First, today's WOD is not a cardio WOD, and it is not for time. Perscriptions like todays that say 1-1-1-1-1-1..., or 3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1... ect. are max effort (i.e. strength) days. You are supposed to work up to your 1RM for that lift, using 3-5 minuted rest periods between sets.

Second, it is hard to know if something is wrong with your diet without knowing what your diet is.

Third, the CrosFit WOD's are made to tax the capabilities if the worlds most elite athletes. Getting light headed and pukish is a testament to their power. With that said, one should establish consistency before intensity, so I would tone down your intensity while you do the WOD so that you can make it through without having to stop because you might throw up (if this is happening every single time). As you get better, crank up the intesnsity appropriately.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
I think it's a classic example of starting too hard. I always strive for keeping the same pace throughout the entire work out. Then I can always accelerate in the end if I have a little extra. I don't think this has anything to do with nutrition.

When I started doing CF I did it the same hard-on way you describe, but eventually I got sick of getting sick, so I worked on an more evenly paced tempo. And violá! My times got a whole lot better all of a sudden!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
sometimes, its eating to close to the wod... I know for me, if i eat with in an hr of the wod, there is a good chance its coming back up during the wod...