CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-23-2005, 01:11 PM   #1
Kenneth Ritchie

Profile:

This nutrition stuff gives me a headache :uhoh: As we once before discussed... people out there know what they are doing wrong and dont need to be a nutritionalist to get it correct(The chips and burger syndrome... the quick fix... the I dont have time syndrome). As for the diets... Yip all these diets (I hate that word) do probably work and my good friend is living proof of the Zone method, however for your average joe who probably wouldnt stick with it.... isnt it better to find a way and use of terminology that they will both understand and relate to. I remember being asked this very question when I was doing my studies...... "how would you explain nutrition to a novice... intermediate... or athlete"? Since then it has proven to be a very good question as in this industry as we are all probably very aware of ... you will meet ALL levels. Anyway just thoughtI would pose some food for thought.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #2
Joseph Blaire

Profile:
Kennith ,
check out this thread:http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/6819.html . You can follow the advice from the thread and " eat right" . It is without a doubt worth it to dial down your diet and get with the Zone. You'll need to get : Crossfit Journal May 2004 - The Zone and Meal Plans . Once you get it all figured out it's easy. You'll have so much more energy and the Zone combined with the WOD's gives insane results. :angry:
Old 07-24-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
If your doing Crossfit, on a regular basis, you are an athlete. Usually people come to Crossfit with vast experience in lifting, gymnastics, MA, or some other element of the Crossfit program. New people usually blow off diet. Then they start to "eat better", cutting simple carbs, eating leaner cuts of meat, etc. They then want to increase performance and start researching the Zone. Most experiment and eventually break down and measure and weigh, next thing you know they are hooked on the Zone. Personally, I don't give a crap about other people. I'm sick of giving advise to out of shape lazy people. You give the advise, they argue because they read an article in "Men's Health" or Woman's Day", you walk away and shake your head. You want the knowledge, your in the right place, it's going to take some work and study.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
Stephen Solano

Profile:
It seems most people do not want to put in the work or study. I too am tired of answering questions like, "is diet soda good for you?" I used to point them in the Crossfit and Zone direction, but it is never the answer they were looking for. Now, I walk away. If they don't know the answer by now, well they'll never know.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:15 AM   #5
Brendan Melville

Profile:
I get the same problem Stephen. People who beg me for answers, but are really begging for a quick fix never listen, but always keep b**ching. It's sad really that so many people have a problem, but refuse to listen to the solution.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Speaking for my self I am not here to "save" anyone. I left medical school because of a combination of apatyhy on the part of our populace and science by committee on the part of our government. There is more sound advice and easy reading on this board than any other source on earth...there is also some of the most theoretical, technical crap one can dig up on nutrition and performance. There is something here for ANYONE if there is a glimmer of desire on the individuals part.

In another thread someone mentioned that people around here are nice. They are. They are also supportive and perhaps most importantly they are doers. Sites abound that seem are populated by folks who fall from one wagon to another. These people find community comisserating on the topic and never move forward. That tends not to happen here.

I do not know how to re package "Meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds...some fruit little starch and no sugar..." into a more appealing package. That is as easy as it gets and will provide 95% of all the benefits nutrition will ever provide.

Sorry for the tirade but the problem neither starts or ends here.
Robb

Old 07-26-2005, 09:09 AM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Anyone else think Robb should back away from the espresso bar?:uhoh:

Speaking for myself, nutrition has always been my weak link. It is why I constantly battle the weight gain demons and work harder than 99% of those in the gym (you never know when a fellow CF'er may be in the house). I find that if I try to follow to many pieces of good advice, I just screw myself up. So, in the words of AA, I keep it simple, stupid.
I agree with Robb, the "Word Class Fitness in 100 Words" says everything I need to know about diet and exercise. Try to keep what you eat in Zone proportions and guidelines and things will be good. Follow it exactly and things will be elite.

Oh, and beware of following advice for those "hardgainers" or skinny b#$@*rds who can't seem to gain an ounce despite eating 100g of protein per meal and washing it down with a double chocolate shake. It'll make you fat.

Just ask me.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #8
Kenneth Ritchie

Profile:

Ok guys thanks for the responses. I can see that we all generally feel the same way. Many out there are just going to have to live a life in 'FATSVILLE' until they see the light. Hard to do through all that fat and cholesterol though..... Hmmmmm :-)