CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Noah Drew

Profile:
Phentermine? Synthyroid?

I have a member with thyroid issues and the doctors are putting her on these two drugs. I've done some research on synthroid, so I have an idea of what to expect. But I'm advising her to avoid phentermine because I'm against diet pills.

She's new to CrossFit and I have started her on Zone with Paleo soon to follow. Do you guys have any advise to give regarding what to expect? What food to avoid? How to train her? Am I right to have her not take phentermine? What supplements would you suggest?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Mike Cipriano

Profile:
Re: Phentermine? Synthyroid?

Noah,
There is a lot more information people would need to know about your client to really answer this question.
As far as the synthroid goes, her low thyroid hormone levels are generally pretty easy to treat and shoudn't really be an issue.

There are a lot of questions about the phentermine. Is she obese, does she have any other medical problems, how old is she, did she get the rec for the phentermine from a responsible physician who is actually closely following her situation?

I think in general, diet modifications, exercise and correcting low levels of thyroid hormone will go a long way to resolving her weight issues. So perhaps she does not need the phentermine.

I personally do not support using phentermine or drugs like it for most people for weight loss. The appetite supression effects tend to be short-lived (several weeks) and the side effects can be very bothersome. Here is a link to some drug information about phentermine (WFS)
http://www.drugs.com/monograph/phentermine.html
Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
Noah Drew

Profile:

Thanks Mike. She's heavy but from obese. She just came out of having a baby so her body isn't "bouncing back" the way she'd like.

It sounds like she is open to not using it, which made me happy. I just wanted to make sure I was being responsible by suggesting it.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #4
BMH

Profile:  

I would be careful at recommending anything in regards to what your client should or should not take unless you are a doctor. Perhaps you should steer your client in the direction of research and let the client decide.

I only say this because some states hold trainers to similar scope of practice limitations and may hold you accountable for giving advice outside your scope without a license.