CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:
Looking for some insight on Personal Training

Hey I am trying to plan ways that I can pay for college doing something I think I would enjoy and thought of something I read on the forums. Personal Trainer...
But then I realized that I have no idea what being a Personal Trainer would entail and such.

So anyone have any insight on what being a Personal Trainer for Crossfit would entail and what equipment would be needed and other costs?

I already know that I would need level 1 and possibly level 2 certification...

Thanks in advance!

Alec

Last edited by Alec Sean Kellish; 10-04-2009 at 06:00 PM..
Old 10-07-2009, 06:57 AM   #2
Wil Vicinus

Profile:
Re: Looking for some insight on Personal Training

Are you planning at working at an affiliate or on your own? If you're going to do P/T on your own you should also get a P/T certification from a more 'mainstream' organization (ACE, NASM, etc...). A cert from one of these organizations is required to get Personal Trainer Insurance, which is a must-have.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Unfortunately, this is a case where you will have to spend money to make money. I think that having a cert of some sort will get you a long way in this endeavor. Even a NSCA cert (http://www.nsca-lift.org/ wfs) could help.

On a related note... start getting excited about in-state colleges, and things will be a lot cheaper! I'll be paying back my out-of-state college loans until my yet-to-be-conceived children go to college. But... I still wouldn't have changed anything if I had to do it all over again
Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

or I could move to maryland. (I want to go to J.H.U and go there for medical school as well , I am planning on becoming a orthopedic surgeon.)
Old 10-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
S.S.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec Sean Kellish View Post
or I could move to maryland. (I want to go to J.H.U and go there for medical school as well , I am planning on becoming a orthopedic surgeon.)
You don't get in-state discount for private schools; JHU is $50,000+ per year.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Simplest way would be to start working out at a nearby affiliate, get to know the owner and all the trainers, learn from them as much as possible, earn their trust and show that you're competent and dependable, then ask about the possibility of becoming a part time trainer there after you get a Level I cert. If they've got a trainer apprenticeship program, great. The more experience you get training other people, the better.

Seeing how you're hoping to go to out of state school it'll be a little more difficult since you'll have to start from zero once you get there. But I'd say to follow the above steps for now then try get a referral to an affiliate owner wherever you end up going to school, and hope they're looking for trainers.

I don't know that I'd plan on using CF to pay your way through college (especially JHU), but you could definitely use it as a way to earn a little extra money doing something you enjoy. That's my current situation at CF San Diego--I'm not expecting it to pay my mortgage (that's what my day job is for) but I like doing it and it's good for gas money, if nothing else.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Alec Sean Kellish

Profile:

Thanks everyone, and yeh I know it wouldn't pay through college but hey every little bit helps and I would at least have gas money XD
Old 10-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

JHU? Plus med school? You're looking at a boatload of debt no matter what you do. Fortunately, the top private schools mostly also have decent endowments and decent financial aid. Be sure to do all the research and get all the forms done well in advance of their deadlines.

No, personal training won't really touch your college costs. Not many jobs will at a place like that, unless you're a Bill Gates or Michael Dell-class entrepreneur. But spending money is cool, too.

Katherine