CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
Matt Thomas

Profile:
I know alot of people here are in the military so I was just wondering if any of you would be willing to share some of your experiences in basic.

I'm trying so hard to get my diet right lately and right now I'm working on the Zone, but I leave for Army basic training and AIT in September. So my diet is going to go to . From what I hear it's three meals a day with high amounts of carbs? And also MREs which i KNOW are almost nothing but carbs. How bad did this screw you up? I'm nervous to come back fat. My friend is going through right now and he says the PT is a joke and he's not even as fit as me. However other people who have gone through have told me you burn so many calories throughout the day it doesn't really matter what you eat and just eat everything you can.

Just wondering what your experience was? Am I gonna come back with a little extra around the middle and a little loss in fitness or am I worrying about stupid stuff?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Jason Steele

Profile:
Depending upon where you are heading, you should be expending some extra calories, but if you end up on one of the "softer" (matter of opinion and experience) posts, you will need to increase your exercise load in your bay in the evenings. I lost muscle at Basic and AIT, PT wasn't all that difficult. My advice is to show up in kicking shape and just ride it out and push yourself in your off time. A lot of people struggle because they show up in poor shape and or have no motivation. Or you could show up in bad shape and lose lots of weight because everything will be harder for you...

What MOS are you shooting for?

FYI: You don't have to eat everything in an MRE, they have nutrition labels...
Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #3
John Fox

Profile:
I went to 31b OSUT basic training and ait. I went in not being able to run very well but strong in Bodybuilding. While I was there I ate a ton because i was so drained all the time from waking up early and i thought eating a lot would help (very wrong i realize now). When I left 19 weeks later I was 8 lbs lighter. I was able to score a perfect APFT but struggled to bench press my own bodyweight more than about 4 reps. I had lost weight around my midsection but my arms were a lot smaller(especially biceps). My advice if you want to challenge yourself because the pt is a joke. Get smoked a lot intentionally. Eventually the drill sgt will start smoking your whole platoon because they'll realize youre doing it for fun but who cares they probably need it more than you do. Thats the attitude I had anyways haha. If I could go back I would not have ate everything I got my hands on and I would have signed up as 11x or 18x. Don't underestimate yourself like I did because 90% of the other people are fat, weak, and were babied their whole lives. I now do 6 days on/1 day off and alternate between a WOD day and then a BB day with running all 6 days and I am in way better condition than I have ever been(APFT and BB-wise).
Old 07-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:
I'm going to Ft. Benning as an 11b so hopefully it'll be challenging enough to keep off the meals, we'll see. I'll try to keep up some extra PT in the bay. Is there anywhere to do pull-ups?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #5
Jason Steele

Profile:
I am sure there outside pullup bars, you can do lots of modified things with your rack, be a little imaginative. Are you staying straight 11B or going on to something else? Your PT motivation will most likely not be echoed by the rest of your platoon, so be aware of some consequences if you start getting your platoon smoked
Old 07-27-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Yeah I don't plan on getting everyone else smoked just so I can do some extra pushups. Sounds like a good way to accidently "fall" at night or something.

Anyway I plan on being 11b for a while. I'm actually going for a commision through ROTC. I joined the National Guard pretty much just so I could go to basic training and AIT to see what it's like and to have that experience, and the Guard pays for school. When I'm done with school I would like to go active and eventually I do want to try out for SF as a Cpt, but that is years and years down the road and who knows what could happen between now and then. We'll see.

Thanks for the replies.

(Message edited by The Matt on July 27, 2006)
Old 07-27-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
When I went to Airborne School 25 years ago as a cadet, the Seals went off on 10 mile runs after the 12 hour day of training and the Force Recon Marines did sixpack lifting. I imagine it hasn't changed.

As you say, attitudes vary. We lost about half the class due to lack of mental fortitude (guts). What were some of those guys thinking when they signed up?

Good luck. ROTC taught me a lot, even though I never went active other than for training and reserve duty.