CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Jeff Schmidt

Profile:
Retail Space or Industrial

Just curious if anyone has an opinion on paying a premium for a more visible retail location versus a less trafficked industrial space?

According to the numbers, we would need to get about 15 members attributable to the location to make it worth it - which doesnt seem that bad.

Were looking in a pretty dense suburban area as well if that helps.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
David Osorio

Profile:
Re: Retail Space or Industrial

CrossFit affiliates have had some disastrous experiences trying to work in retail spaces. Often you're too close or attached to other businesses and homes to be able to drop weights, play loud music, do anything outside.

Unless this retail space is unattached from any other building and you've got lots of room around your space to run/lift etc outside. I would strongly advise an industrial space with a larger footprint and often more tolerant neighbors.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #3
Bruce Henderson

Profile:

I agree with David. We chose an industrial space with easy access from major roadways and everyone tells us how convenient our location is. We can run, drop weights & play loud music with no problems or high traffic issues.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Adam Morden

Profile:

I also agree with David - without a doubt the potential neighbor problems in retail spaces make them very unappealing to me. We have had autoshops upset with the noise before - I can't imagine what would happen if a quiet business was next door.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Jason Newland

Profile:

The first box I started going to was in a retail location, and I don't think they had any issues with the neighbors. (although, the neighbors were a sandwich shop on one side and a dance studio on the other, so it's a little different than an office or another business that would have issues with the noise).

I'd think that the location would be a huge benefit - whichever gets you noticed more, which then brings in more people, would be a huge point. Just look at the location that you're thinking of, go talk to the neighbors and see if that would be an issue for anyone. If you're planning on going next door to a library or a china shop...that might not be the best idea.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

I can't see why someone would choose retail. Often it's smaller, yet 3x more costly.

Sure it may be more visible, but this is also not a business where being visible has proven to be more beneficial than not.

There are way to many headaches to deal with a retail space.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Corey Coleman

Profile:

We just scooped up a retail space ourselves. Our reasoning was proximity to our home, proximity to our target demographic, as well as the fact that we hadn't found any space for cheaper anyhow. We now have prebuilt bathrooms, and a utility room that we won't have to pay to have built, we got a few months free rent, and exclusive rights to the side parking lot for no extra cost (it is an end unit). At least in our area, many retail spaces are sitting on the market for a long time, and this really worked in our favor. This doesn't negate the fact that a box could easily become a nuisance to neighbors, but that is where diligent lease scripting and old fashioned neighborliness come in. Our perspective neighbors are on board, as we talked to them about our plans before even negotiating the lease. They even offered to help with the build out. I figure if we can draw a crowd and more traffic for them, they'll stay happy. I'll post an update once we get rolling and have operational experience.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Brian Strump

Profile:

If you're on the end, that's at least a plus. You put your flooring on the opposite side of the businesses, and keep the weights dropping on the other side.
The vibrations are much more of an issue(than music), especially if you're on the same slab of concrete.