CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #101
Todd R Miller

Profile:
Re: Trying out a new diet idea

So Bill - 100 replies later, have your questions been answered?

Give the no carbs/low carbs a shot. Expect some diminished anaerobic power and strength, but possible improvements with aerobic endurance.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #102
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Miller View Post
Give the no carbs/low carbs a shot. Expect some diminished anaerobic power and strength, but possible improvements with aerobic endurance.
Am I the only one that this is bass ackwards? I've never had a problem with strength on no carbs/low carbs, but I feel better with carbs. And I always felt like crap when doing MetCons/cardio when on a no carb/low carb diet. Matter of fact, I've been having a banana 45 minutes before working out lately and feel even better.

Last edited by Paulo Santos : 09-25-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #103
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Dreyzen View Post
If you dismissed an hour long video full of facts and research, by one of the leading biochemistry scientists in the country, why should I waste my breath trying to convince you?

If you were really curious and open-minded, would you ask the question in a confrontational style the way you did?
In science the burden of proof lies with the person proposing the hypothesis. And the opinion of one man, particularly someone with a known bias on the subject, does not constitute proof.

That's not me being confrontational, that's just how it works.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #104
Todd R Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Am I the only one that this is bass ackwards? I've never had a problem with strength on no carbs/low carbs. And I always felt like crap when doing MetCons/cardio when on a no carb/low carb diet. Matter of fact, I've been having a banana 45 minutes before working out lately and feel even better.
Paulo - I don't think there is a cut and dry answer to this. Each person needs to find what works best for them. You can take some science/theories and apply them to yourself and see what happens. Its all part of the fun.

For myself, I notice a difference in performance when I go low carb. I lose some strength, weights "feel" heavier, and I bonk during metcons & hard sustained efforts. Maybe I'm not "fat adapted" enough. Maybe it's all in my head. But, I feel much better all around when eating a more balanced diet that includes carbs.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #105
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Am I the only one that this is bass ackwards? I've never had a problem with strength on no carbs/low carbs. And I always felt like crap when doing MetCons/cardio when on a no carb/low carb diet. Matter of fact, I've been having a banana 45 minutes before working out lately and feel even better.
Paulo, were you testing for ketone production during your low/no-carb dieting? I'm just wondering if you were actually in ketosis, and if so, how long were you strict about it? I've seen a decent hit to my metcons as well, but I've read that it takes a fair amount of time (multiple weeks) to get back to where I was. On top of that, I'm not fully keto most of the time.

Also, I think CrossFit metcons push you past your anaerobic threshold often enough to say that they're not really aerobic workouts. The kind of aerobic workouts that would see the greatest advantage when ketotic would be marathons and other multi-hour events.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #106
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Neal View Post
Paulo, were you testing for ketone production during your low/no-carb dieting? I'm just wondering if you were actually in ketosis, and if so, how long were you strict about it? I've seen a decent hit to my metcons as well, but I've read that it takes a fair amount of time (multiple weeks) to get back to where I was. On top of that, I'm not fully keto most of the time.

Also, I think CrossFit metcons push you past your anaerobic threshold often enough to say that they're not really aerobic workouts. The kind of aerobic workouts that would see the greatest advantage when ketotic would be marathons and other multi-hour events.
No, i wasn't testing. I would do ultra low carbs for 6 days before I had a carb load day. I had to stop doing it because I felt like crap all the time until I had the carbs. I did it for a few weeks.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #107
Todd Neal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
In science the burden of proof lies with the person proposing the hypothesis. And the opinion of one man, particularly someone with a known bias on the subject, does not constitute proof.

That's not me being confrontational, that's just how it works.
Watch the vid from 15:11 - 16:47. I don't think there's any bias in what he's saying during that portion, but I could be wrong. Maybe at the end when he says that it's a recipe for mitochondrial meltdown. But the rest of it is based on empirical evidence.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #108
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Agreed. I was under the impression that there are about 800-2000kcal can be stored in muscles and liver in the form of glycogen. Fat is still more I think but from an evolutionary stand point more for a duration of no food?
I am kinda behind on this thread so if this was already asnwered I apologise, but I need to address it, because some might think othewise...

Yes, we do have glycogen in our muscles, but muscles are missing "enzyme" to release glycogen back into the blood. So glycogen that is in muscle can only be used by that muscle.

Gylcogen in liver can be released back into the blood, but there is only about 200 - 480kcal worth of it in the liver. Thats why endurance ahletes drink "energy drinks" to get the extra sugar in the blood. But there is one issue with that, our body can only digest XY grams of sugars per hour, while our energy demand is much more - in high level of activity. So we just cant shove 1kg of sugar down the throat and think we are good for a few hours.

But Peter Attia explained this a lot better (and why ketosis is better for endurance athletes), somehow I am under impression not all of you have read his stuff, didnt you?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #109
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
No, i wasn't testing. I would do ultra low carbs for 6 days before I had a carb load day. I had to stop doing it because I felt like crap all the time until I had the carbs. I did it for a few weeks.
It might take weeks/months for one to "transform" into proper ketosis and so called carb flu is very common with people that are used to high carb diet and probably they also need longer to adapt.

Peter Attia described that aswell, his personal transformation, he needed a few weeks to realise he was actually eating too much protein that transformed into carbs, thats why 100-120g as max daily amount of protein.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #110
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd R Miller View Post
So Bill - 100 replies later, have your questions been answered?

Let us know how it goes.
Agree, trial and error is best idea! But do get a meter to measure your ketone level so you know when you really are in ketosis and when not. A lot of people think they are keto adapted and they are no.

You need a blood testin device, urine strips are no good.