CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Chad Lee

Profile:
Experiences with elevation training masks

Anybody like or dislike the elevation training masks? The full mask or the half mask? I'm thinking of buying an Israeli issued gas mask ($25 amazon), just finding PVC end cap, drilling a hole in it and making differing sizes for differing elevation training. Instead of buying a $89.99 retail full mask. Any experiences with elevation masks or diy these masks?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Experiences with elevation training masks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Gonzalez Garcia
Hello people

I´m reading about the elevation train masks and it looks pretty interesting.
Any of you guys have ever tried it before??? is it effective for Crossfit training??? if so....what kind of exercises are the more appropriate for its use.

Thanks a lot

WOD ON!!!
So-called elevation masks do not work like most think or hope. They do not simulate high altitude training. If anything, they simulate snorkeling at sea level.

At high altitude the lungs fill up easily. They have very little oxygen to deliver but they're full. They're filled with thin and oxygen-poor gas. The red blood cells pass through the lungs saying, "Oh, no oxygen deliveries today? ok maybe next time 'round" and keep on going, as empty as little freight train box cars with no freight. Respiration rates and circulation rates go up. Breathing is deep and rapid.

In snorkeling the lungs and ribcage become harder and harder to expand as you go deeper, due to the pressure of the water. Lack of oxygen is not the problem; the air is thick and rich with oxygen. Filling the lungs is the problem. The muscles of the ribs and the diaphragm struggle for the strength to pull in air. Breathing becomes shallow and may even slow down.

Elevation masks will exercise the heck out of the rib muscles but do nothing to increase the aerobic capacity of your circulatory system.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Ralphie_Martinez

Profile:

I am no scientist nor have done much research but since I am huge into MMA and have some buddies that fight I asked them and they told me it is hit or miss. So I bought one, the Elevation training mask, the mask that is fabric, not plastic, that does not cover the whole face. I ran some hills with it, and I thought I was going to die (in a good way), I have also used it rowing, which adds a little something to change up just rowing, focusing on breathing and calming myself down because of the difference makes me give it a Good rather than a Bad review. Hope that helps.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
Devon Bautista

Profile:

It sounds interesting. I have looked into it, but never used them. They have good testimonials, but as Ralphie had said it apparently helps focus on breathing and calming down. I don't know how much the fabric one costs, but I am definitely interested in trying them out soon.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Martin Krusch

Profile:

I have fix the Training with Gasmask in my Train Programm.

I take it for Stamina/Run-Training.

I run 4k or 6k with it.

On the photo you can see how i look like with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	425679_335676686540187_1414596634_n.jpg
Views:	9534
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	12354  
Old 05-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Chad Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Krusch View Post
I have fix the Training with Gasmask in my Train Programm.

I take it for Stamina/Run-Training.

I run 4k or 6k with it.

On the photo you can see how i look like with it.

So you just bought an Israeli gas mask and left the air filter still on? I was thinking of taking the big air filter off,finding the right sized PVC cap and drilling different sized holes for difference resistances I wanted. Do you think this will work?
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Matty Rogers

Profile:

Here is a good review on an elevation training mask

http://therxreview.com/elevation-training-mask/ (wfs)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #8
Martin Krusch

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Lee View Post
So you just bought an Israeli gas mask and left the air filter still on? I was thinking of taking the big air filter off,finding the right sized PVC cap and drilling different sized holes for difference resistances I wanted. Do you think this will work?
I don't know.

I buy my mask at amazon with Mask AND Filter alltogheter.

http://www.amazon.de/Yantec-Tschechi...words=gasmaske

greetz
Old 05-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Jake Mainville

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank E Morel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Gonzalez Garcia
Hello people

I´m reading about the elevation train masks and it looks pretty interesting.
Any of you guys have ever tried it before??? is it effective for Crossfit training??? if so....what kind of exercises are the more appropriate for its use.

Thanks a lot

WOD ON!!!
So-called elevation masks do not work like most think or hope. They do not simulate high altitude training. If anything, they simulate snorkeling at sea level.

At high altitude the lungs fill up easily. They have very little oxygen to deliver but they're full. They're filled with thin and oxygen-poor gas. The red blood cells pass through the lungs saying, "Oh, no oxygen deliveries today? ok maybe next time 'round" and keep on going, as empty as little freight train box cars with no freight. Respiration rates and circulation rates go up. Breathing is deep and rapid.

In snorkeling the lungs and ribcage become harder and harder to expand as you go deeper, due to the pressure of the water. Lack of oxygen is not the problem; the air is thick and rich with oxygen. Filling the lungs is the problem. The muscles of the ribs and the diaphragm struggle for the strength to pull in air. Breathing becomes shallow and may even slow down.

Elevation masks will exercise the heck out of the rib muscles but do nothing to increase the aerobic capacity of your circulatory system.
Wouldn't the increased difficulty breathing cause respirations to happen at a slower rate, resulting in a decreased volume per minute of oxygen - and thus the same result as training at elevation? Just theorizing, but it seems to me you would end up with the same result, through a different mechanism (less oxygen in same amount of air, vs same amount of oxygen in less total air?)
Old 05-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Frank E Morel

Profile:

No.... Training at attitude elicits a physiological response of the body releasing more red blood cells and increase the production cycle..this is due to the level of oxygen concentration. Below four thousand feet oxygen contcentration is roughly 20%. And stays constant because constant due to hemoglobin. Unless you suffer from blood loss...it's pretty much constant. After that 4k it bell curves downwards rather quickly per 1000 feet. Hence the term thin air.

So I guess the real question is can you train for this?
Yes... But.....

1- to maintain the ability to function in a hypoxia state is largely stay in a thin air environment. Achieved by 1- living at attitude for awhile. Aka acclimatization. Move to any where in Colorado, Mexico city or lake Tahoe
2- using a altitude tent.... Basically is a sleeping bubble that is sealed off and filled with low percentage oxygen. Forcing the body to release more red blood cells. Takes about 3 weeks to acclimate but it must be done nightly.
If one stops and you are not at altitude .... In roughly 10 days, the corrects itself and readjusts to the 20 percent mark.
Can it be done indefinitely ?
Yes... Expensively, you own a altitude simulatutor
Cheaply. Move to a height of 4k feet plus.
Covertly , Yes... Blood doping, Epo supplementation Both work but have hand in hand health risks that lie on morbid side.

Using a mask? In theory yes ... Reduce the volume of air pumped in to the lung but increase the demand of oxygen ... The body releases some more blood volume by reducing flow to other unnecessary body parts- tempoarily.
Reality...Once you take off that mask.... It tilts back in to balance.
Oxygen level in the air at less than 4k... Will still be 20percent. Your body hasn't released enough natural occurring epo to impact anything. Meaning no lasting effects.

There is a reason why the us Olympic training centre is in colorado

Last edited by Frank E Morel : 05-19-2013 at 11:51 AM.