CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Danny Bostwick

Profile:
Local knockoffs.

So, a local "globo-gym" has created a "functional training" program. They call it S.W.E.A.T. with some cheesy acronym. It's a pretty bad knockoff of what we do. It doesn't do anything to tread on patent infringement, but they do a lot of wanna be stuff. The gym has a ton of members, so they already have a huge following and membership. I was curious to see how other boxes dealt with "copy-cats" and things along this nature.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Re: Local knockoffs.

Are they doing it better than you? If not, don't worry about it. A LOT of gyms are now adding CrossFit like classes to try and catch on to the wave. If they can do a better job than you I would worry. If not, you won't loose clients to them. You may actually gain some. They get people interested in intense functional fitness, they look some stuff up online, find you. They hold no loyalty to their current gym, so guess what, you get a phone call.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:

If they are not doing anything wrong there is nothing you legally can do.

A globo gym should not be able to compete with an affiliate in the supportive community aspect of CrossFit. Don't compete with them on price, or new equipment. Do it with the community you create, and the quality of your services.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
Are they doing it better than you? If not, don't worry about it. A LOT of gyms are now adding CrossFit like classes to try and catch on to the wave. If they can do a better job than you I would worry. If not, you won't loose clients to them. You may actually gain some. They get people interested in intense functional fitness, they look some stuff up online, find you. They hold no loyalty to their current gym, so guess what, you get a phone call.
Yeah that's how we were playing our hands. We had 4 girls come over from them on Saturday for an intro WOD.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Jay Adams

Profile:

My girlfriend lives in De. and I went with her to S.W.E.A.T is Seaford for a week. If any affiliate is losing members to this program, they should look at their own programming. The trainers, or “coaches” have no Crossfit experience and the ones I talked to have never stepped foot in a CF affiliate. The “assistant head coach” is certified in beach body shop (Insanity and P90x) The entire program consists of 45-60 minute cardio circuits. That’s it! I asked a few people if they did circuits every day and they all said yes. The “coaches” said that it is in “phases” so one month it is 35 seconds of work and 30 seconds of work and the next it might be 45 seconds of work and 25 seconds of rest”? WTF is that about? They talked a decent amount of **** on CF, but it is Insanity and that is it! I could not imagine doing this more than once a week, if that. It is cheap (like $50 a month) but a decent affiliate should not lose more than one person to this.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Danny Bostwick

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Adams View Post
My girlfriend lives in De. and I went with her to S.W.E.A.T is Seaford for a week. If any affiliate is losing members to this program, they should look at their own programming. The trainers, or “coaches” have no Crossfit experience and the ones I talked to have never stepped foot in a CF affiliate. The “assistant head coach” is certified in beach body shop (Insanity and P90x) The entire program consists of 45-60 minute cardio circuits. That’s it! I asked a few people if they did circuits every day and they all said yes. The “coaches” said that it is in “phases” so one month it is 35 seconds of work and 30 seconds of work and the next it might be 45 seconds of work and 25 seconds of rest”? WTF is that about? They talked a decent amount of **** on CF, but it is Insanity and that is it! I could not imagine doing this more than once a week, if that. It is cheap (like $50 a month) but a decent affiliate should not lose more than one person to this.
Yeah we haven't lost a soul to them I assure you. We've gained members from them actually, the problem is exactly what you said. They talk a fair amount of **** to people and try to make us look bad. The post stupid derogative photos about CF on Facebook, we're in a small town so that stuff is actually seen and somewhat formulates opinions. In my opinion it just makes them look bad, and the people that we want see that stuff as ridiculous and childish. We've completely taken the high road and concentrated on our clients and our reputation.

Lol, that being said I know the "Assistant Head Coach" and the "Head Coach" and they are complete idiots. Kinda funny to hear their explanation of the programming. I (as well as thousands of other CF coaches) spend my evenings reading ACSM articles, articles on the journal, pieces from APTA and everything else I can get my hands on, they scour pinterest for "inspirational" photos of girls doing curls in their underwear.

EDIT: By the way Jay, if your ever in Seaford and want to get a workout in, stop by and see us at Crossfit Seaford.