CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Justin Wolf

Profile:
Which meats to buy organic?

My question is when on a budget for food but have some wiggle room, which organic foods are they best to buy for health?

This is my logic at the moment:

I should buy organic(when I say this I mean grassfed) beef vs. organic chicken/fish because beef tends to be the fattier of the meats and therefore I should worry about the fat in beef having a good omega3/omega6 ratio whereas there's little fat in fish(less then beef) and chicken and not worry about the fat profile for those.

Any questions/advice is much appreciated.

Thank You
Old 07-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #2
Dana Rice

Profile:
Re: Which meats to buy organic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Wolf View Post
My question is when on a budget for food but have some wiggle room, which organic foods are they best to buy for health?

This is my logic at the moment:

I should buy organic(when I say this I mean grassfed) beef vs. organic chicken/fish because beef tends to be the fattier of the meats and therefore I should worry about the fat in beef having a good omega3/omega6 ratio whereas there's little fat in fish(less then beef) and chicken and not worry about the fat profile for those.

Any questions/advice is much appreciated.

Thank You
I would still try to buy 'wild caught' fish when possible. Certain fish like salmon can be very fatty. Frozen varieties are not that much more expensive. Farming fish and seafood can mess up the Omega 3/6 fat profile, just like grain feeding beef can.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/salmo...-farm-vs-wild/ (wfs)
Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
Darika Siegel

Profile:

I buy grass fed beef (not organic), free range, vegetarian fed pork, free range organic chicken, cage free eggs, and wild fish. Wild salmon may be fatty but it has omega-3, I don't worry much about the fat in fish. Grass fed beef will have less fat than conventional.

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm wfs

The only things I buy organic is fruit and veggies. I can only find organic free range chicken because I can't find free range non organic.

If you can afford organic buy what you can. If there was grass fed beef vs organic grain fed beef I would choose the grass fed. It has to list grass fed for me to buy it.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

If you have access to a chest freezer and are able to pay a larger amount up front, buying a 1/2 grass-fed cow or 1/2 a pastured pig is VERY economical. My wife and I split a 1/2 cow with another couple, and it ended up being about $3.00/lb for the whole thing. It was ~75lbs for each couple, and half of that was ground beef.

It was delicious.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #5
Tony Sutton

Profile:

Eat around and see what you like best. I like the idea of buying 1/2 or 1/4 cow or pig. Personally, I prefer locally raised meat, organic or not.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Sutton View Post
Eat around and see what you like best. I like the idea of buying 1/2 or 1/4 cow or pig. Personally, I prefer locally raised meat, organic or not.
Right... and a lot of farms will be "organic" in practice but not in name. The place that I get my milk grass feeds all of its cows, and doesn't use antibiotics UNLESS a cow is sick and dying. The owner was giving us a tour and said "We refuse to get the organic certification, because those farms will see a dying cow and would rather see the cow expire than save it with medicine."
Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #7
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Thats an interesting point Bo, the farm I get alot of my meat from has a similar grass fed and organic in practice, but not able to label as organic because they are not certified. They explain their reasons on their site as well :
Quote:
Are you certified organic? Why not?

All U.S. Wellness Meats pastures and animals have been maintained with organic principles in mind since 2000. Unfortunately, the state of Missouri dropped a state-run organic-certification program and turned it over to a private certifier several years ago. The private certifier wanted 3% of the gross income of the preceding year to maintain the license. We politely said no, and felt if Thomas Jefferson were still alive he would concur. Sadly, greed has infiltrated a noble cause. 50% of the Missouri organic producers have let their certification lapse since this situation was create by the Missouri legislature.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Thats an interesting point Bo, the farm I get alot of my meat from has a similar grass fed and organic in practice, but not able to label as organic because they are not certified. They explain their reasons on their site as well :
Exactly. Especially if you have the chance to go and visit a local farm and check out the conditions, a grass-fed operation that doesn't look like a factory farm with cows packed into pens, is going to be just fine.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
Andrew Milligan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
If you have access to a chest freezer and are able to pay a larger amount up front, buying a 1/2 grass-fed cow or 1/2 a pastured pig is VERY economical. My wife and I split a 1/2 cow with another couple, and it ended up being about $3.00/lb for the whole thing. It was ~75lbs for each couple, and half of that was ground beef.

It was delicious.
What's the cost of a decent chest freezer? I'm sure it pays for itself over time, I'm just curious about the initial outlay.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Milligan View Post
What's the cost of a decent chest freezer? I'm sure it pays for itself over time, I'm just curious about the initial outlay.
Seems like a wide range, between $200-400. I did a cost-benefit analysis once and yes it pays off in short order. You could probably find one on Craigslist for cheaper.