CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #11
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Whole Grain? Is it healthier than not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
White bread is a cereal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Huh? White flour is wheat flour. Pretty much any bread that doesn't explicitly say it's gluten-free will have wheat. That includes rye bread, corn bread, etc. Wheat flour is still the primary ingredient.

Katherine
Fail by me.

Avoid cereals... get them eating potatoes instead

Like Shane said the grains that most civs eat tend to be soaked to remove a lot of the anti-nutrients and whatnot.

Bread/pastas/cereals/etc. now are whacked out now, especially since they're all coming from GMO modified dwarf variants of wheat which is more caustic to our health
Old 07-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
Ryan Eddy

Profile:

Dave's Killer Bread is what I turn to when I go for some bread. It's freakin delicious and they put out a quality product. Pricey, but if you have a Costco you can get a two pack for a decent price. It freezes fine.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
Brandon Sligh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Lalik View Post
Everyone knows eating a ton of carbs with whole grain is the fountain of youth.

I am wondering about this mostly for other people. I try to avoid grains. I will eat corn tortillas/chips and the occasional sandwich at a restaurant.

I go out of my way to avoid bread. I eat a version of paleo w. dairy (no skim BS), if you want to call it that.

But...... I help some friends get in shape and cutting out stuff from their diet is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN unfortunately. I can only make small improvements.

So.... if you are going to eat bread, cereal, etc., is it better to eat the whole grain version?
As in bread, I generally tend to eat the whole grain version of wonder bread. In the middle of it, there are more nutrients than with white bread. All regular white bread has in the middle is sugar sugar and yep more sugar.

Try and get as much whole grains for the body as you can on a daily basis. Even sometimes I get the cereal that says whole grain on the box because honestly they taste exactly the same as the other cereal, well to me. Also, another whole grain food I eat is Nature Valley's oats and honey bars. I love these because they provide good cards and whole grain.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #14
adam adkins

Profile:

A slice of commercially prepared white bread has 66 calories, 1.9 grams protein and 0.6 grams fiber. A slice of whole-wheat bread has 69 calories and provides 3.6 grams protein and 1.9 grams fiber. It isn't hard to see which one is the better nutritional bet.

Bottom line, whatever nutrients you can get from whole grains you can get in equal to greater amounts in other food. But if you are going to have grains I would say whole grain is better. It is just not the complete nutritional source it is made out to be.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #15
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Sligh View Post
As in bread, I generally tend to eat the whole grain version of wonder bread. In the middle of it, there are more nutrients than with white bread. All regular white bread has in the middle is sugar sugar and yep more sugar.

Try and get as much whole grains for the body as you can on a daily basis. Even sometimes I get the cereal that says whole grain on the box because honestly they taste exactly the same as the other cereal, well to me. Also, another whole grain food I eat is Nature Valley's oats and honey bars. I love these because they provide good cards and whole grain.

Hope this helps!
I'm pretty sure you are a troll, but we'll give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend not for the moment.

All carbohydrate is sugar, so regardless of what type of bread you are eating, its going to be made up of sugar. The difference is whether that comes from added processed sweetners.
Nature's Valley (aka General Mills) products are terrible for you, and made up mostly of processed sweetners. In the Oat & Honey bars you mentioned a full 1/3 of the carbohydrate comes from added sweetners. This additionally contains soy product (this is where the little protein in the bar comes from, a poor source) and also canola oil.
"Whole grains" means absolutely nothing in terms of cereals, this is purely a marketing ploy. Heavily sweetened and processed cereal is not good for you in any way, no matter how many "whole grain" or "natural" stickers they throw on there.
It's like you read this article and posted the exact opposite, considering he addresses two of the exact things you mention: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/01/...actually-suck/ wfs).

Finally, in terms of the original post, coming from a paleo perspective, if you buy into the main driving factor of at least initially removing grains from your diet to determine/prevent gluten intolerance... from that perspective whole grains are actually WORSE for people with sensitivities to gluten or other lectins in grains because they contain more. If you don't have any sensetivities, then obviously whole grains are typically the way to go, they are less processed and typically products made with them are more likely to contain fewer added ingredients, but just like anything else, you are probably going to have to read the labels to determine the food quality as not all products claiming "whole grains" are healthy.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 07-19-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #16
Brandon Sligh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I'm pretty sure you are a troll, but we'll give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend not for the moment.

All carbohydrate is sugar, so regardless of what type of bread you are eating, its going to be made up of sugar. The difference is whether that comes from added processed sweetners.
Nature's Valley (aka General Mills) products are terrible for you, and made up mostly of processed sweetners. In the Oat & Honey bars you mentioned a full 1/3 of the carbohydrate comes from added sweetners. This additionally contains soy product (this is where the little protein in the bar comes from, a poor source) and also canola oil.
"Whole grains" means absolutely nothing in terms of cereals, this is purely a marketing ploy. Heavily sweetened and processed cereal is not good for you in any way, no matter how many "whole grain" or "natural" stickers they throw on there.
It's like you read this article and posted the exact opposite, considering he addresses two of the exact things you mention: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/01/...actually-suck/ wfs).

Finally, in terms of the original post, coming from a paleo perspective, if you buy into the main driving factor of at least initially removing grains from your diet to determine/prevent gluten intolerance... from that perspective whole grains are actually WORSE for people with sensitivities to gluten or other lectins in grains because they contain more. If you don't have any sensetivities, then obviously whole grains are typically the way to go, they are less processed and typically products made with them are more likely to contain fewer added ingredients, but just like anything else, you are probably going to have to read the labels to determine the food quality as not all products claiming "whole grains" are healthy.
First of all, I am not a troll in anyway so how about you respect my post and my information.

Second of all, obviously all carbs are sugar, do you think I am a complete idiot? Whole grain bread is completely different from regular bread. Of course both contains sugar obviously but which is healthier and has better ingredients? If you are going to sit here and tell me the regular white bread, I think you should consider yourself a troll.

Third of all, do you think I care that oats and honey bars contain a poor source of protein? Why are you making an invalid point for no reason? Did I ever say I eat it because of the protein because I know for a fact as an athlete, my goal is not getting protein from the bars. If I wanted protein I would eat a protein bar or something else, once again obviously.

Fourth of all, as far as I am concerned, majority of products contain additional sweeteners, so what get over it. However, if you are going to sit here and tell me that nature valley bars are bad for you, then you are definitely the troll.

Do not try to insult my intelligence by trying to come at me.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #17
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:

Fourth of all, as far as I am concerned, majority of products contain additional sweeteners, so what get over it. However, if you are going to sit here and tell me that nature valley bars are bad for you, then you are definitely the troll.

Not trying to "come at you", you just seem to not have a good grasp on your target audience here (your question about "ab work" in another thread makes this equally obvious). The vast majority of posters here eat either paleo or "clean", which means almost exclusively foods that have not been processed or minimally processed, and no added sweetners/sugars. For most of us, eating foods with added sweetners, soy, or canola oil (or bread for that matter, for most of us) would be a rare exception to our standard diet and not simply an accepted reality as you seem to see it.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #18
Jeffrey Chason

Profile:

Quote:
First of all, I am not a troll in anyway so how about you respect my post and my information.

Second of all, obviously all carbs are sugar, do you think I am a complete idiot? Whole grain bread is completely different from regular bread. Of course both contains sugar obviously but which is healthier and has better ingredients? If you are going to sit here and tell me the regular white bread, I think you should consider yourself a troll.

Third of all, do you think I care that oats and honey bars contain a poor source of protein? Why are you making an invalid point for no reason? Did I ever say I eat it because of the protein because I know for a fact as an athlete, my goal is not getting protein from the bars. If I wanted protein I would eat a protein bar or something else, once again obviously.

Call me a troll, then, because Nature Valley bars are definetly not good for you.. Especially with the hundreds and hundreds of easy, inexpensive, and available alternatives posted on these very boards.

It is not a knock on your IQ, but your arguments are not very well supported
Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #19
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

I would go with pita bread (Joesph's pita bead has 4 net carbs). But if you must choose a loaf of bread whole grains are usually the better choice. Just always read the nutrition info and ingredients, know what you are consuming and how much is in each serving.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #20
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Fourth of all, as far as I am concerned, majority of products contain additional sweeteners, so what get over it.
Real food has zero additional sweeteners, so stick with that and you're good to go.