CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:
Quick 5-3-1 / Prowler question

I've been doing 5-3-1 for a couple cycles now and I'm loving the variety it allows in my programming. My 5-3-1 sets cover Squat, DL, and OHP. I would like to add in a 4th 5-3-1 day for front squat, but I'm wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice by ignoring bench press. I've also been doing GTG with ring dips and adding reps consistently, so it's not like my chest isn't getting any work.

My week would look like:

Mon: DL, WOD
Tues:FS, WOD
Wed: rest
Thurs: BS, light wod or skill work
Fri:OHP WOD
Sat/Sun rest, or light cycling

Also, now that the snow is gone around here I can bust out the prowler my affiliate picked up last fall. I've never used one before, how should I structure a workout around this piece of equipment? I'm thinking of replacing my Tuesday or Friday WOD with prowler work.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Struan Potter

Profile:
Re: Quick 5-3-1 / Prowler question

Death by prowler push, on first minute do one 10m prowler push, second minute do 2 10m prowler pushes (out 10 and back), third minute do 3 etc until you can't complete all 10m pushes within the minute.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Luke Espe

Profile:

Why does everything always have to be training to failure??

Read this http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...owler_training (sfw)

There is no need to completely kill yourself with everything you do. Wendler's routine calls for + sets, putting a ton of stress on the body. Use the prowler to add in some conditioning/recovery work. Not completely drain yourself of the little bit of energy you might have left...you get better when you recover
Old 04-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

With the amount of work you are doing, I wouldn't be adding extra workouts. So I'd sub one WOD with a Prowler or incorporate Prowler into my WODs. When the mainsite has some type of interval work I often Prowler instead of run/row.

Why add the Front Squat 5-3-1 now? If you are making gains and plan on using the Prowler, already doing deadlifts and squats, I think your hips/legs are getting plenty of work. I think adding front squats would be too much.

If you really want to do front squats, you might alternate weeks with Back squat and front squat and maybe do the same with the bench and regular press. But, if you are making progress with ring dips, why not keep working at your press and a couple months from now you can pop the bench in?

Don't do what I often do--overthink it.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

The Prowler can be assistance work just like the dips/push ups/chins or it can be pure metabolic conditioning. Depends on what you want that day.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Not only is the FS a movement I enjoy, but its one that frequently pops up in various forms in our affiliates programming. I've never done any dedicated FS work before, but getting my BS up is definitely my priority. I'll keep my strength sets as they are for the time being.

As for the prowler, I was definitely planning on using it as a pure metcon tool in place of a WOD once a week.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Dave Coughlin

Profile:

I like to use front squats as an assistance move during my 531 back squat days. Doing the 3x10 for FS makes me feel like I'm not maxing my efforts, like the max rep heavy set for the 531.

As for the prowler stuff, don't go too crazy especially on BS days. I've had great conditioning results with something like this:
-start with prowler on one side, and a heavy sandbag about 20m away
-prowler push 20m
-sandbag sprint 20m
-drop sandbag, and sprint 20m
-rest, and repeat after sufficient rest interval
Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #8
Andrew Klopfenstein

Profile:

Just got back from my first prowler sesh. Decided to keep it simple: 10, 50' unloaded prowler sprints with full recovery between runs. Definitely got a nice workout out of it, but had enough left in the tank for my bike ride home. This will definitely be a once a week (when it's sunny) deal from now on.

Thanks for the answers.