CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #1
Eric S. Jensen

Profile:
Strength biased training?

There are many crossfitters that have trained using a strength biased program instead of mainpage or what have you. My question to those of you that have is what did you use? What might you have done different? Currently I feel I'm grossly understrong for my weight. I'm 71" 190lbs 12% bf here are my current numbers

Squat 285
Dead lift 300
Press 155

Snatch 160
Clean and jerk 210
Front squat 225

My goal is to be competitive at the regional level next year. I need to work on my strength. But I don't necessarily want to do a SS. Or is this what I need to do and come back to conditioning later? Ive read people do crossfit football, CFWF, CFSB, and SS. So what has worked for you? And what would you maybe suggest that I try?

My diet is alright. I don't eat grains or sugar. I do drink milk use salad dressings and eat eggs and cheese. I'm a Marine on base and eat at the chow hall so even though I only get meat, vegetables and some fruit it's most likely far from paleo but I really do my best. I have averaged 2500 calories a day but the last week I have been more around 3500. I'm planning on upping that a little more to 4000. I take 10g fish oil a day as well.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Strength biased training?

Conjugate CrossFit (article in the journal by Chris Mason, and a thread on that topic going as well) or Justin Lascek's Strength and Conditioning Program (S&CP), again with it's own thread.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

+1^^^ I am currently doing the Lascek 70's big S&CP its pretty fun.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

I intentionally sought a box that had an emphasis on strength and found a great one. I do one dedicated strength class weekly, 1 dedicated Oly class weekly and 3 regular metcon classes which are most of the time prepended with a dedicated compound lift for strength unless we are doing a particularly long or brutal metcon.

Granted I may not be improving my metabolic conditioning as fast as if I was doing just metcons, or improving strength as fast as if I just did something like SS, but I am continually getting stronger and increasing endurance, gaining lean mass and losing fat so im rather happy with the route ivce chosen, not sure I would change a thing.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Given your current numbers and apparent conditioning, I don't know your goals, but I would think you would actually dramatically benefit from doing a linear progression program like SS for even just a couple months, before moving to a hybrid program like CFFB/CFSB/70s Big S&C.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
John Kaupp

Profile:

Eric,
try and get together with Capt. Miguel Toledano on base. We are going to try and set up a time and meet up at Coach B's in Bonsall. If you would like to get in contact with me kaupp58@hotmail.com
Old 04-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
James Yates

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S. Jensen View Post
My question to those of you that have is what did you use? What might you have done different?
I did 5/3/1 squat and bench one day, 5/3/1 DL and press another, and Cleans on a third day every week.... every session ended with anywhere from a 5-20 or so minute metcon involving compound movements for accessory work. It was "fun" because I wanted to try the 5/3/1 routine and I didn't want to give up some metcons.

I am no strength expert, but if I could go back to my winter training, I would have straight-up done SS starting in Nov. (the end of MTB season) for at least 3 months, or until a major stall. I also would have eaten a lot more. My lifts went up, but not by much and I didn't gain any significant weight.

If you want to get stronger and haven't done it yet, don't waste your time, just do SS and eat a lot.