CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Iris Giesler

Profile:
very hypothtic question about what happens if you stop increasing the load

This question is very hypothetic (if stupid, plesae ignore) but I haven`t found an answer for it yet...Imagine you have finally managed to do 6-10 reps of a given exercise, chinups for example, for three sets which is said to be the rep-range where you achieve strength as well as hypertrophy. You problably have gained both on your way to achieving this goal. Now you are getting better and better at it. You can easily mangage 15-20 reps, so you are out of the range were strength is gained your workout has become a strength endurance exercise. Now you could wear a heavy west, put a kettlebell around your ankle, try a one-handed chin-up, etc. If you don`t do that, just because you are content with what you have achieved, are just lazy or whatever reason (just hypothetical) and you continue to perform only 10 reps that feel very easy by now - what is going to happen? Will you maintain your strength level and muscle? Will you become less fit then when the 10 reps were still challenging? Does anyone have an idea?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: very hypothtic question about what happens if you stop increasing the load

You won't get any bigger or stronger, because your body has already adapted to the stress of doing 10 reps. You may get more efficient at doing those 10 reps, especially if you increase the overall volume (i.e. grease the groove or frequency method type stuff), but you most likely won't have any significant gains beyond there.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Your strength and muscular mass will likely remain the same for a time. Your muscular endurance will improve significantly.

If you continue to train muscular endurance only, it's possible your low end strength and endurance will decrease significantly. For evidence of this, check out observations from Jason Armstrong. He went to break the record for most pullups in 24 hours with 2,409. However after his training his max set when from 40 to only 25, and he said that he also lost strength and size.
http://www.recordholders.org/en/list...armstrong.html (wfs)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Nicholas Borek

Profile:

Something really bad happens, like your pelvis inverting or your collarbone prolapses. Or not, not entirely sure. Safest bet is to do more.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Kent Newland

Profile:

My answer is similar to other answers. Strength gains and endurance gains will not increase. However, you can make power and speed gains when the load becomes easy to move, but eventually those will disappear. However, if a person has achieved their goal, and are satisfied with that level, then I see no reason to continue to try to improve if it's not what they are after.

For example, my goal has been to break the 300 mark on the bench press. I finally did it in December of '10, at 325. This more than meets my goal, and I don't feel that increasing that strength would ultimately benefit my fitness level, so I am content to leave 325 and focus more on the endurance portion, and focus on increasing strength in other areas.

Kent