CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
Joshua Gritton

Profile:
Re: Programming questions for basic training!

Good catch on the rest days. Also Matt, you are right you can train for such things but make sure to stop training in such a way a good week or two prior to ship out as its best to go in rested you might be kept up for 2-3 days in processing. I was kept up for about 3 days with a total allowed sleep time of 2 hours non-consecutive. Hit it hard and often and experiment with different levels of stress as they do have a huge effect on performance.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #12
Matt Thomas

Profile:

I agree. It's probably a good idea to take it easy as your date gets closer. Although I got plenty of "rest" in 30th AG (the best kept secret in the Army). Not sure how they do things in the Coast Guard, but we had a week of in processing that involved zero PT and no PT allowed on what little down time you had at night. I mean it's hard to stop push ups and sit ups in the Bs, but running was out.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

You could sleep in 30th AG? That was probably the most sleepless time I had on Fort Benning for OSUT. Lights out at 10 first call at 03 form up at 0315 for role call and stand around all day processing till 9pm when they open your bays again finally. And fireguard, don't even get me started on fireguard.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #14
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Hey 5 hours was a sweet deal to me!

Unless you had fireguard....
Old 04-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Thanks again for the advice. These first 3 months or so my intent it so tkeep going with my regular program, resting additional days if I feel I need it(today I definitely do). Once these 3 months are up I'll probably experiment more with working out on less sleep, more sleep, and stress levels.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Just wanted to write a few more things. I figure I'll just tell you how it really was with me and you can make of it what you will.

When I was working out before I went to basic training I didn't really know about Crossfit. My workouts consisted of the Navy SEAL and Army Ranger workouts by Stew Smith. Not sure if these workouts are real popular or in vogue around here, but they did work. They were long as hell and tedious sometimes. I mean just toooons of pull ups, push ups and sit ups, miles of running and swimming and ruck marches. Luckily I had a good workout partner because it probably would have been hard to get the motivation to complete some of the workouts if I had to do it by myself. However, they definitely served their purpose. When I went to basic my numbers were 92 pushups, 98 sit ups and a 12:30 2 mile. Now, during this time, was I as "fit" as I am now and as defined by Crossfit? No, probably not. But, guess how much the Army cared? They didn't at all. I could run, do push ups, sit ups, pull ups, and ruck. So I was good to go. In fact I got rewarded for it pretty regularly.

Since I've been doing Crossfit my PT score isn't as high as it was back then. My push ups and sit ups are in the low 80s and my run hovers around 13:00. However, I will admit that I am not as consistent with Crossfit as I sometimes am with just lifting weights. I'm trying to fix that and if I can get a little more consistent I believe my PT score will increase. I have no doubt that people who are monsters at CF could destroy the Army PT test.

One thing I have noticed with Crossfit though is my recovery time is really good. Take combatives. Doing the clench drills can get tiring very fast. Everyone gets gassed and fatigued pretty quick, including me. However, when we stop, a lot of people are spent. After a few seconds I'm good to go. This is something I like very much.

Not much advice in that story. Just wanted to get it out so you can take it as you will.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:52 AM   #17
Paulo Santos

Profile:

I was in the Army from 94-98. I wish I knew then what I know now. You are getting a great head start with the Paleo Diet. Stick with it. You can definitely eat Paleo while in basic training and when you get to your duty station or wherever you go.

Don't kill yourself with the PT. A three day on/one day off schedule is plenty. Find out what the PT test is like in the Coast Guard and make sure you can do the exercises well. Don't go above your weight or you will be in the fat boy program. Make sure you do the body weight exercises (pushups, situps, pullups) once a week and get good at them. You may also want to do some extra cardio 2-3 times per week. I'm guessing you will be doing some swimming in the Coast Guard, so one of the cardio days, you may want to do some swimming. If they run 2 miles in the Coast Guard, try to get under 13 minutes. If it is a 1.5 mile run, under 10 minutes is a good time.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #18
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Thanks for all the advice. Gives me a lot to think about.

On a more unrelated note, and I know this technically belongs in nutrition section, but...

At what point, if ever, should I stop eating paleo before basic? Right now I'm pretty strict, and if/when I have a cheat day I usually don't feel so hot the next day, due to what I assume is my body not being used to processing that which I'm putting into it.

In basic, from what I hear from others, I shouldn't be concentrating on the quality of the food but more so the amount - eat easy items such as mashed potatoes, etc, to get as many calories in as quickly as possible. Should I give my body some time to adjust to eating this type of food?

Thanks again everyone
Old 04-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Z Sachs View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Gives me a lot to think about.

On a more unrelated note, and I know this technically belongs in nutrition section, but...

At what point, if ever, should I stop eating paleo before basic? Right now I'm pretty strict, and if/when I have a cheat day I usually don't feel so hot the next day, due to what I assume is my body not being used to processing that which I'm putting into it.

In basic, from what I hear from others, I shouldn't be concentrating on the quality of the food but more so the amount - eat easy items such as mashed potatoes, etc, to get as many calories in as quickly as possible. Should I give my body some time to adjust to eating this type of food?

Thanks again everyone
You don't have to stop eating Paleo. You can still eat Paleo while in basic. Breakfast is the toughest unless you just want to eat eggs everyday. For lunch you will have plenty of different choices per day and they always have veggies.