CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #61
Chris Walls

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength before and after pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
So essentially go until my lifts start stalling?

And everyone is sayign that its super important to do it now, at 16. Which I understand, and intend to. But why? Can someone explain the science behidn it?
Well I don't have the specific science for you but in lay terms you're still growing. Your hormones are jacked up higher than they ever will be. Take advantage of the chemical state your body is in because it'll never happen (naturally) again.

And it's not as simple as go until you stall. There are lots of reasons to stall and being done is only one of them. Again, if you do the program as intended and written, you EAT like you'll never see food again, you drink your GOMAD, you sleep more than is possible, and you lift. If you get to a point where you keep stalling at the same weight after doing 3 proper resets you're done. (don't quote me on that part, I remember reading something about knowing when you're done a couple years ago...)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #62
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
So essentially go until my lifts start stalling?

And everyone is sayign that its super important to do it now, at 16. Which I understand, and intend to. But why? Can someone explain the science behidn it?
The older you get, the more your testosterone levels drop, the harder it is to put on muscle, the harder it is to maintain muscle. So the sooner you start, the more time you have to put on strength, also the faster you can put it on. Strength training is good for injury prevention too, so less likely you'll hurt your back picking up an awkward box in your 20's.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #63
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
The older you get, the more your testosterone levels drop, the harder it is to put on muscle, the harder it is to maintain muscle. So the sooner you start, the more time you have to put on strength, also the faster you can put it on. Strength training is good for injury prevention too, so less likely you'll hurt your back picking up an awkward box in your 20's.
So essentially, I put on all this muscle now. I finish the program, and begin to CF again, but now I incorporate some strength stuff, in order to ensure that I do not lose as much of gains as possible. As I get older, I will already have a super high level of muscle, so it will take longer to "lose"

Am I correct?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #64
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

During adolescence and between the ages of 15-25 your body produces insane amounts of testosterone and growth hormones which will aid in your lifting progress and recovery.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #65
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
So essentially, I put on all this muscle now. I finish the program, and begin to CF again, but now I incorporate some strength stuff, in order to ensure that I do not lose as much of gains as possible. As I get older, I will already have a super high level of muscle, so it will take longer to "lose"

Am I correct?
Thats pretty much what I do. I do 3 days on 1 off, 2 on. I try to do 2-3 metcons or 2-3 strength workouts in a week. (5-5-5 or 3-3-3-3-3). It works for me.

Last edited by Michael Loucas : 04-06-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #66
Nicholas Borek

Profile:

It'll be the athletic base for everything else you do and if you start now it'll come easier, gains wise. Plus its easier to get big when all you have to do is go to school, lift, eat, and sleep. Believe me, trying to train when you have to work and pay for your own food blows.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #67
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Not so mention most military people who try to do SS get screwed. Daily PT is definitely not in the programming. hahahah.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #68
Eric Doolittle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Gritton View Post
Not so mention most military people who try to do SS get screwed. Daily PT is definitely not in the programming. hahahah.
Which is why I'm doing it now, while I'm deployed It's the perfect time: no daily PT to screw up recovery, no PT tests to worry about for 6 months, and all the free food I can eat. Only downsides are I can rarely get more than 7 hours a sleep a night (and sometimes much less) and the chow hall runs out of milk about every other day.