CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength before and after pics?

1. Either take the week off, find a gym in Montreal, do some light met cons, or do something along the lines of Pavel's PTP (Pistols and One arm Pushups).
2. No, but I'd recommend continuing until you stall on most/all lifts. Take advantage of linear progression while you can.
3. You'll lose weight more easily with more muscle mass.
4. You will stall on your lifts sooner (ie, not be able to increase every workout as rx'd).
5. Nothing wrong with belts. Rip advocates them. Nothing wrong with being bigger and stronger.
6. No advice, other than follow your doc's advice on the hypertriglyceridemia.
7. Your lifts and bwt keep increasing.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Frankel View Post
Okay, that makes sense. and yea, Im expecting a lot of hate from that question, but lets hope that as I get older I mature and stop caring what others think of my body. Say I do SS then, ive got a couple more questions.

1. Ill be starting in the summer, and i know at one point ill be going away to montreal and staying at a relatives house for a good week or so. Should I just do metcons there?
Just take a week off, SS =/= metcons, so don't do them

2. Say I do SS for the whole summer, and resume crossfitting when school starts in september. If im doing mostly metcons, or if i begin to mix metcons and heavy days (say 2 a week), will i lose all of my gains?
As long as you keep doing some heavy lifting you will not lost all of your gains. You will lose some as you eat for maintenance and not gaining, but as long as you stick with some heavy lifts (for example: CFFB or 70s big S&C) it will not be a whole lot.

3. Again, sorry for this, but If i do SS, and then begin crossfitting again when I finish, will my abs become visible again?
Yep, abs are mostly diet anyways, so when you get off of SS and eat clean food you will lean out; and have more muscle to show for it.

4. What happens if I do not eat enough?
You will stall early and not make much progress. Eat for growth and the weight you want to be at.

5. What do I say to parents who think I am lifting too much, as well as think that I am big enough as it is, and will get "scared" if i begin a program like this, and an osteopathic doctor (my uncle) who is telling me to purchase a belt because he is afraid my back will lose its form.
My Dad is the same way, I just ignore him. A belt is useful for getting stronger, not necessary for form though. Again, most people are stuck in CW thinking in that full squats are bad, grains are good, etc. So listen to what they say, give them a nod like you are listening, and keep doing what you are doing (that's what I've been doing).

6. Finally, in the summer, i will be off season for trampolinning. Besides biking, I will not be doing much cardio. I have hypertriglycedmia (high cholesterol), and it is genetic. What should I do to ensure it stays down? I dont have enough healthy food in my house to only eat that, and my rents wont NOT buy junk food because they are under the presumption that they cant force my 10 year old bro to eat clean as possible.
I can't comment on the hypertriglycedmia, I don't know enough about it. You don't have a job during the summer to make some money so you can buy good food? Things like milk and peanut butter are useful for gaining weight and I'm sure your mom will buy that for you and your brother.

7. Okay i lied, one more. How do I tell fi i am eating enough?
If you are gaining weight each week and your lifts keep going up. Depending on who you ask, 2-3lbs/week seems to be the average amount to gain each week. The SS forums will say it's pathetic and to aim for 5lbs minimum, but it's not necessary.

I understand that visibility is not a matter of strength, and that my abs are gonig to get MUCH stronger upon doing this, but i feel kind of weak without them.
You will lose them for some time, but they will be back and look much better when you packed on more muscle all over your body. I used to feel the same way as you, but I was able to get rid of that mentality with the help of some people on here. Rip says something along the lines of a six-pack is worthless without an ice-chest to show for it, and he's right.

Also, I love food too much to not eat enough xD
My responses are in bold.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
My responses are in bold.
for number 6, hopefully i will have a job this summer actually, so im crossing my fingers, but if im doing SS, should I forget (for the time beign) about no carbs, healthy fats, etc., and just eat, but no snack foods? (fruit rollups, gummies, cookies, etc.)? Cause I can do that, and Ill enjoy it a ****load xD

And yea, ive got like milk and P-butter, just figured that SS diet is similar to the average crossfitters diet (almond butter, no carbs, breads, etc.)

Im at the power clean section of the book, and with all this newfound inspiration, ill probly finish it by the end of the weekend. Then I can watch the DVD on a road trip to montreal (yea, i go there a lot) in 2 weeks. Hopefully then, ill be able to answer a lot more of my own questions, especially affter reading the programming section.

P.S. Good news: IM GETTING MY SQUAT RACK THIS WEEKEND!!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I think thats my biggest issue. I need to get it out of my head that I can get super strong, gain some pounds, and then regain looks later i guess. Even though I would assume that anyone here is going to disprove of this question, will I lose my abs if I do this?
Maybe. Would you rather look like a man, but without abs, or like a scrawny kid with them?

Katherine
Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
I understand that visibility is not a matter of strength, and that my abs are gonig to get MUCH stronger upon doing this, but i feel kind of weak without them.
You probably won't feel weak once you're squatting 2x your bodyweight.

Katherine
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You probably won't feel weak once you're squatting 2x your bodyweight.

Katherine
This is true *maniacal laugh*

As for the above question, obviously a man

Does anyone have any good articles they can point me to that will help to convince me that I dont need my abs to be visible? Being a high school kid, and being known as the "fittest kid in school", and even being put in the yearbook for it, this will be hard. Maybe ill be able to compromise, by doign SS in the summer, and somehow cutting backo n food once i finish, and doing heavy metcons + gymnastic movement metcons in order to keep my lifts (for the most part), as well as shed any fat gained during SS

On a side note, does anyone have a good estimate of ohw much weight I should be lookign at gaining?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #17
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
for number 6, hopefully i will have a job this summer actually, so im crossing my fingers, but if im doing SS, should I forget (for the time beign) about no carbs, healthy fats, etc., and just eat, but no snack foods? (fruit rollups, gummies, cookies, etc.)? Cause I can do that, and Ill enjoy it a ****load xD

And yea, ive got like milk and P-butter, just figured that SS diet is similar to the average crossfitters diet (almond butter, no carbs, breads, etc.)

Im at the power clean section of the book, and with all this newfound inspiration, ill probly finish it by the end of the weekend. Then I can watch the DVD on a road trip to montreal (yea, i go there a lot) in 2 weeks. Hopefully then, ill be able to answer a lot more of my own questions, especially affter reading the programming section.

P.S. Good news: IM GETTING MY SQUAT RACK THIS WEEKEND!!
Once you get into new PR territory, if you are having trouble getting calories in to keep progressing and gaining weight then by all means eat some junk food. The SS diet is similar in principle to what CF advocates eating, but you need to add stuff to that in order to get enough calories. This is where stuff like milk, peanut butter, hamburgers, fried chicken, etc, come into play. You want quality calories, so favor junk food that has a good amount of protein. BTW, CF does not advocate zero carbs, your training dictates your carb needs. See this post about carbs: http://www.70sbig.com/blog/2011/03/why-you-need-carbs/.

Here is an old thread about the gains people made while on SS: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ighlight=gomad. Check out the SS forums for ideas on how much some people really eat on the program; it's www.s t a r t i n g s t r e n g t h.com (remove the spaces).

I went skiing at Mont Tremblant in Canada a month ago and stopped off in Montreal for a smoked beef sandwich from Schwartz's on the way home, ever heard of the place? It has really good pastrami. Squat rack at home = awesome, I wish I had one.

Second link is WFS, first one not so much (some cursing).

Last edited by Joe Bernard : 04-03-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #18
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
I went skiing at Mont Tremblant in Canada a month ago and stopped off in Montreal for a smoked beef sandwich from Schwartz's on the way home, ever heard of the place? It has really good pastrami. Squat rack at home = awesome, I wish I had one.

Second link is WFS, first one not so much (some cursing).
Funny enough, I have, although Ive never been there. Ill keep the place in mind though, as ill be there in a couple weeks. Would it be horribly bad to be doing my lifting on carpet? my only option is to lug 200#+ of weights down to my garage, along with the rack, every couple of days, and then back upstairs when im done........

Maybe my rents will let me have one space out of the 2 in the garage for powerlfiting there. Ill get a small mat or something :P

How much does a horse stall mat run the average person?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM   #19
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:

Does anyone have any good articles they can point me to that will help to convince me that I dont need my abs to be visible? Being a high school kid, and being known as the "fittest kid in school", and even being put in the yearbook for it, this will be hard. Maybe ill be able to compromise, by doign SS in the summer, and somehow cutting backo n food once i finish, and doing heavy metcons + gymnastic movement metcons in order to keep my lifts (for the most part), as well as shed any fat gained during SS

On a side note, does anyone have a good estimate of ohw much weight I should be lookign at gaining?
High school is notorious for girls wanting guys who are lean and have a six-pack (think Edward in Twilight); don't give in to it. College is 50/50, and once you are out of college all that most women want are men. I feel your pain though, my friends like to comment on my abs and try to get me to show it them to random girls at bars, which gets annoying. It's like you are expected to have them all the time. But having a six pack =/= fitness, once you pack on some muscle and are moving serious weight your friends and classmates will be more impressed with your physique than what it is now.

No clue on the horsemats, try searching in the equipment section of the forum.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:00 PM   #20
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:

Do you care more about being put in the yearbook as the "fittest kid in school" based on your sick abs, or do you care more about actually BEING fitter? If you're going to let your concern for your abs keep you from trying to add 100lbs to your squat and deadlift in a hurry, then don't bother trying to strength train...just keep doing what you've been doing.