CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 PM   #41
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: "Fran" times. Whats your best

Getting much faster than that requires doing everything unbroken with zero wasted transition time, butterfly pullups, and you almost have to pull the barbell down from the lockout position rather than letting gravity do the work. There's a video somewhere of Mikko doing a 2:15ish Fran and he was basically yanking the barbell down from the top of each rep.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #42
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Bout to go after it today, last real WOD this week before the Open. I got 2:53 about 3 months ago but was pretty sloppy. Anything in 2:30s I'll be happy, sub 2:30 is the goal though. One of the tricks I've realized is to breathe through the thrusters with abandon. A lot of coaches teach the wonders of the valsalva/breath-holding technique for heavy lifts, and it is appropriate in that setting, but the benefit it gives you when you're throwing around 95# is minimal compared to the benefit of unrestricted breathing. And you can always time your breaths just right so that your breath is held for that small fraction of a second at the bottom of the thruster.

Also, I think it's the moments between the exercises that are the worst suck-wise, so not only should you pick the bar up even though it is horrible in order to go faster/get to the end, but actually the experience/pain of doing the work is generally better than standing around waiting for the suck to go away. Will report back later on my little ideas, haha.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #43
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZyDOGoj9qM (wfs)

2:33. Not bad considering I felt pretty sore and meh from my recent ramp-up. Lost B-Fly a bit in round 2, it still eludes me sometimes when fatigue sets in, and I can see that I'm kindof muscling it still. On the plus side, thrusters felt relatively breezy and wind didn't slow me down at all. Probably work on my B-Fly and transitions and I think <2:20 might be possible. I think you gotta be kinda short to go under 2:10, and do your thrusters right in front of the pull-up bar. CF Open, lezdoit.

Last edited by Mauricio Leal : 03-14-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:20 AM   #44
Marcus Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post

2:33. Not bad considering I felt pretty sore and meh from my recent ramp-up. Lost B-Fly a bit in round 2, it still eludes me sometimes when fatigue sets in, and I can see that I'm kindof muscling it still. On the plus side, thrusters felt relatively breezy and wind didn't slow me down at all. Probably work on my B-Fly and transitions and I think <2:20 might be possible. I think you gotta be kinda short to go under 2:10, and do your thrusters right in front of the pull-up bar. CF Open, lezdoit.
2:33 is good work. Your video is a little unclear but all looks in order.

Here is my video, appreciate any feedback. One thing I know is that my pull up bar is too low!! I think this makes a difference for my butterflys.
http://innerfight.com/video
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #45
Ron Murray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post

good work on a 2:33 FRAN even if the the video is hard to judge and all - but forget all that jazz...the music choice for this was amazing haha.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #46
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Murray View Post
good work on a 2:33 FRAN even if the the video is hard to judge and all - but forget all that jazz...the music choice for this was amazing haha.
Haha thanks. Yeah I dunno why but that song get's me juiced more than anything. Homenage by Brownout. They got a bunch of really funky tracks if you can find 'em. If not PM me and I can upload you some .

I could barely get both movements in the lens with the camera in garage with door closed, which is necessary cause bumpers will jussst bang the door overhead if it's open. I Thrustered on a med ball, but still obviously not good enough for Games viewing standards. Probably have someone film it by hand if I end up doing an Open WOD in there.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #47
Benjamin Ferru

Profile:

Previous Record: 5'37

Today: 4'53 !

http://youtu.be/pIMdRnhG1Dw

I am disappointed for the pull-ups, and for the cardio I have some more of progress to be made.

The time falls, but slowly !
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #48
Tim Cooper

Profile:

7:59
Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #49
John Holcombe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cooper View Post
7:59
this. Fran kills me for some reason. Pullups aren't that bad but I get so tired after the first set of thrusters that I have to rest way too long throughout the workout
Old 05-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #50
Tim Cooper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holcombe View Post
this. Fran kills me for some reason. Pullups aren't that bad but I get so tired after the first set of thrusters that I have to rest way too long throughout the workout
I did it today.

21 - I went 15 then 6 Thrusters. The pullups I did the same.
15 - Three sets of 5 on the thrusters. The pull ups I did 10 and 5.
9 - Did 9 unbroken thrusters (to my surprise). Pull ups I was smoked and did 4,3,2...

I think I was resting way too much. I would take 5 deep breaths and kept on truckin. I kept a very conscious mind on my thrusters form. Broke parallel and locked out up top. I butterfly kip my pull ups. I hate kipping but for Fran I make an exception because Its more efficient for time.