CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Cutting for meet

Anyone have any good resources or tips for cutting in a 24 hour period?

I found this method - does it sound like a good idea?
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/cu...t_for_comp.htm (wfs)

I'm trying to get down to 152.1 lb. A couple days ago I got down to 153.8 lb after reducing my calorie intake a bit for 2 days. Fully hydrated and fully stuffed I'm about 157 lb.

I need to cut by September 25. Everyone tells me I can do it the night before just by not drinking liquids, but I have no experience with this and I'm not totally confident it'll be that easy. Should I try to cut next Saturday morning to simulate the weigh-in?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Cutting for meet

Shane-
The no liquids thing will work for up to 2# -- USUALLY. But be sure to replenish ASAP after the weigh in.

I cut 13# slowly for my USAPL event last Saturday (check my blog), but the last 5# were really difficult for me. I am a pretty strict Zone guy, and my normal diet is 16 blocks. I cut down to 14 two weeks before the meet and 12 for the last 5 days before the meet.

If you check my blog, you'll see that I was 166.7 the night before the meet, and made weight at 164.5 the next morning -- no liquids after 7:00 p.m., and a few trips to the bathroom made the difference.

PS: this type of cutting only works when you have an "early" weigh-in period - which most competitions DO NOT have anymore.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 09-13-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Shane-
The no liquids thing will work for up to 2# -- USUALLY. But be sure to replenish ASAP after the weigh in.

I cut 13# slowly for my USAPL event last Saturday (check my blog), but the last 5# were really difficult for me. I am a pretty strict Zone guy, and my normal diet is 16 blocks. I cut down to 14 two weeks before the meet and 12 for the last 5 days before the meet.

If you check my blog, you'll see that I was 166.7 the night before the meet, and made weight at 164.5 the next morning -- no liquids after 7:00 p.m., and a few trips to the bathroom made the difference.

PS: as I responded to you when you posted this in my blog, this type of cutting only works when you have an "early" weigh-in period - which most competitions DO NOT have anymore.
Cool, thanks. The weigh-in is at 8am, so I think that's early enough.

BTW, when did I post in your blog?
Old 09-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Cool, thanks. The weigh-in is at 8am, so I think that's early enough.

BTW, when did I post in your blog?
Sorry - it was Jacob - but he posted the exact same article, so I thought it was you. I deleted that reference when I realized it wasn't you.

The weigh in is at 8:00 am the day before the competition? What is the competition and is it really a 69 Kilo class?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Cutting weight is a miserable and heinous process if you do it right My big tips would be 1. no salt of any kind for at least three days before your weigh in. Getting salt out of your system is essential for not retaining water weight. 2. No drinking of any liquids starting the night before. 3. Get sweaty! Do a work out in warm clothes the night before and then work up a good sweat for 10-20 mins before you weigh in. This will get you pretty dehydrated and you will be feeling it big time so be careful, if you feel like you may faint or black out go ahead and have a drink, something like gatorade is pretty good. It will hydrate you, replace some of the salts you have been avoiding and give you some immediate carbohydrate energy.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Shane, what weight do you wake up at? Typically you'll float a couple lbs during the night and should wake up pretty close to your goal.

Wrestlers and fighters have been cutting weight for a long time, here's a pretty solid article on how to do it: http://www.grapplearts.com/How-to-Cut-Weight.html W/F/S.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Just an update on this. Thanks everyone for the help. I was able to make my weight. I don't think I lost much fat. (I don't really have much to lose but whatever).

On Thursday I only had about half of what I normally eat. I was still almost 158 lbs.
On Friday I ate basically nothing and drank a half cup of coffee. I also took like 12 Dieurex pills and 1 tbsp of castor oil. Then that night I got into a hot bathtub and I lost the last 2 lbs or so. I felt pretty weak that night and was getting muscle cramps. My blood sugar was getting really low so I took a little bit of honey and maple syrup to raise it.

I weighed in at 68.2 kg (150.7 lbs) on my first try. I had 2 hours before I had to lift, so I ate everything I could, and remarkably, I felt great afterward. Went on to go 73/103 (both PR's)=176 as a 69.

Lesson learned: the body has a lot of water that you can get rid of temporarily. I was pretty dehydrated but even when I weighed in I still felt like I could go lose a couple more lbs of water.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 09-26-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
I also took like 12 Dieurex pills and 1 tbsp of castor oil.
Technically that probably isn't allowed. Diuretics are disallowed because of potential as masking agents for other medications and because excessive water loss can be dangerous.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Just an update on this. Thanks everyone for the help. I was able to make my weight. I don't think I lost much fat. (I don't really have much to lose but whatever).

On Thursday I only had about half of what I normally eat. I was still almost 158 lbs.
On Friday I ate basically nothing and drank a half cup of coffee. I also took like 12 Dieurex pills and 1 tbsp of castor oil. Then that night I got into a hot bathtub and I lost the last 2 lbs or so. I felt pretty weak that night and was getting muscle cramps. My blood sugar was getting really low so I took a little bit of honey and maple syrup to raise it.

I weighed in at 68.2 kg (150.7 lbs) on my first try. I had 2 hours before I had to lift, so I ate everything I could, and remarkably, I felt great afterward. Went on to go 73/103 (both PR's)=176 as a 69.

Lesson learned: the body has a lot of water that you can get rid of temporarily. I was pretty dehydrated but even when I weighed in I still felt like I could go lose a couple more lbs of water.
That sounds crazy! Congrats on the Pr's but that can't be healthy. Geez..
Old 09-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Technically that probably isn't allowed. Diuretics are disallowed because of potential as masking agents for other medications and because excessive water loss can be dangerous.
Really? I saw that certain prescription dieuretics were disallowed but the active ingredient on that one was different. And it's OTC.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 09-26-2010 at 04:29 PM.