CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 PM   #21
Thomas Green

Profile:
Re: deadlift 1rm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Disagree. Bad technique is always dangerous. Will you always get injured when using bad technique? Certainly not, but that doesn't make it safe and proper.

- Mark
You won't necessarily get hurt. But immense pressure is put on the discs on the lumbar spine when you deadlift like that. Why risk it IMO
Old 09-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Why risk it IMO
Ego.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:18 PM   #23
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
I don't know the lifter so I can't say for him- but for a lot of guys, the curved back isn't really dangerous when, say, done every few months going for a max. Depends on just how strong you are.
Right....but when Konstantinovs has a little rounding while pulling over 900lbs, he knows what he's doing and some thoracic rounding can be tolerated. The OP should not be accepting that kind of rounding for a 300ish pound pull, it definitely was not by design.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #24
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
I don't know the lifter so I can't say for him- but for a lot of guys, the curved back isn't really dangerous when, say, done every few months going for a max. Depends on just how strong you are.
The amount of rounding in that video, for any lifter, anywhere, of any skill/strength level, is dangerous.

I am not saying Max deadlifts won't have some rounding, but this is not "some rounding" this is 100% flexed, no engagement of the spinal erectors at all. And not only is this level of rounding extremely dangerous, it is also extremely inefficient. He lost so much of the pulling strength from his legs in that rounding of his back.

I have attached a picture illustrating the different levels of back rounding. All the images are taken right after the weight breaks the ground. In the middle is KK lifting 770lbs while standing on a 4.5 inch box, his lumbar spine is nice and flat. On the right is a picture of a moderate amount of lumbar curvature, to the degree that I would expect on a max effort lift. The left is our friend here with complete lumbar flexion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deadlift rounding.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	6933  
Old 09-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #25
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
The amount of rounding in that video, for any lifter, anywhere, of any skill/strength level, is dangerous.

I am not saying Max deadlifts won't have some rounding, but this is not "some rounding" this is 100% flexed, no engagement of the spinal erectors at all. And not only is this level of rounding extremely dangerous, it is also extremely inefficient. He lost so much of the pulling strength from his legs in that rounding of his back.

I have attached a picture illustrating the different levels of back rounding. All the images are taken right after the weight breaks the ground. In the middle is KK lifting 770lbs while standing on a 4.5 inch box, his lumbar spine is nice and flat. On the right is a picture of a moderate amount of lumbar curvature, to the degree that I would expect on a max effort lift. The left is our friend here with complete lumbar flexion.
You know, watching the OP video again, and really looking at Konstantin's youtube vids, I am inclined to agree. Good job in the comparison pictures.

Anyone ever notice that Konstantin's UPPER back is more rounding than anything else? Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VZOlFo0Q1U (WFS)
Old 09-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #26
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

Quote:
Ego.
all ego i fixed it. horrible technique i know. i'm improving though.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #27
Darla Powell

Profile:

I hurt my back badly last week doing DLs. I've been flat on my back since. I was trying to repeat a PR, felt my back round, heard a 'pop' and bam. Done. Went to the ER and got happy pills and have been out of work since then. It can happen.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #28
Jon Houle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
You won't necessarily get hurt. But immense pressure is put on the discs on the lumbar spine when you deadlift like that. Why risk it IMO
Exactly! I think that should be the message here.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:40 PM   #29
Jon Gregory

Profile:

Whoever was with you should have shouted at you to STOP before you got the bar off the ground!! I do that for my friends and I'd expect the same! Good that you are swallowing the pride and resetting the form.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #30
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Disagree. Bad technique is always dangerous. Will you always get injured when using bad technique? Certainly not, but that doesn't make it safe and proper.

- Mark
agreed. just because something is dangerous or high-risk doesn't mean you're going to get hurt doing it the first time. In fact, you probably won't.

Skydivers have a saying that if you don't have absolute confidence you could do the exact thing you just did 1000 times in a row under any conditions without getting hurt, then it was probably a stupid thing to do.

This is because when people do something risky and don't get hurt they tend to do it again and again. It doesn't matter a whit that you deadlifted 400 lbs with crappy form 427 times if you hurt your back on the 428th time.