CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Re: deadlift 1rm

This might come a cross as a little mean, so if you're overly sensitive just skip my post.

Your starting position was WAY off. This is the first thing you need to fix before even thinking about anything else. Why has no one mentioned how the bar was swinging out WAY in front of you.

If you have a coach, slap him across the face.

If you can't get a competent coach, go get Starting Strength, read it and you'll see what you're doing wrong, what to do to fix it and why.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Hey bro, you are going to hurt yourself like that! Smack whoever that was that said good lift and get yourself a coach...or friend who knows how to deadlift.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
Jakob Schmidt

Profile:

Start out lighter, seriously. Your set up is disastrous. Check out this link on your set up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA (WFS, Rippetoe link). Make sure your shins are touching the bar before you lift, if they aren't, you're back is guaranteed to arch thus getting you closer to snapping your body in two at the waist. Also, try pinching your shoulder blades while you are starting the lift as to help you lift the hips and chest at the same time.

But, seriously, lighten the load, you probably won't be able to lift as heavy as you did with better form right out of the gate, but it will be worth it and eventually you'll destroy your current PR.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #14
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Agree with everything these guys are saying. You're clearly a strong guy or you wouldn't be able to move that weight at all......but you're just asking for injury.

Take some time to figure out the deadlift. I went through sort of the same deal. I was pulling good weight.....435 at 163lbs BW, but it was ugly....albeit not quite as bad as what I just saw, but what ended up happening was when I went for my next PR at 445 I hurt my back.....posted a few videos on here and nobody was surprised.
At my L1 cert a few weeks back I figured out the positioning with a PVC pipe. It doesn't have to be heavy at all to figure out the positioning your body is supposed to be in. Once you figure it out, hit some light sets and make sure you can FEEL your body in the correct posture.
Got back to 531 about a month after hurting my back and have been able to pull 330 x 11, 350 x 9, 370 x 6. I think for you its an issue of being aware of your body rather than just grabbing the bar and picking it up.
Save yourself from getting injured and figure the lift out. I was lucky and only got sidelined for 3-4 weeks.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #15
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

thanks man, i am trying to get it figured out. i have been hitting real light weight, 135-155# and getting the feel for it again. i took some time off since that video even though it didnt hurt, and now i am trying to get my form right, shoulders over bar push with the legs tight midsection. its working good. thanks for all the insight.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #16
Cody Roberts

Profile:

Once that form comes, more weight will come instantly.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 PM   #17
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
It could have been better, but it WAS a 1RM, you know. At a weight of 315 (I think?) I'd want to see better than what I saw, but let's all remember that form isn't perfect when we hit a max.
True, but the technique cratered before the weight even left the floor.

- Mark
Old 09-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #18
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
It could have been better, but it WAS a 1RM, you know. At a weight of 315 (I think?) I'd want to see better than what I saw, but let's all remember that form isn't perfect when we hit a max.

I was personally more annoyed with the 90 degree rotation of the earth than concerned with his form.
....there is a difference between "not perfect" and "dangerous"

A 1RM can be "not perfect" but at NO point EVER should a lift, max or not, be "dangerous"... unless you are going for a Olympic medal or some other meaningful competition... maybe... but never in just a workout, ever.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
....there is a difference between "not perfect" and "dangerous"

A 1RM can be "not perfect" but at NO point EVER should a lift, max or not, be "dangerous"... unless you are going for a Olympic medal or some other meaningful competition... maybe... but never in just a workout, ever.
I don't know the lifter so I can't say for him- but for a lot of guys, the curved back isn't really dangerous when, say, done every few months going for a max. Depends on just how strong you are.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #20
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
I don't know the lifter so I can't say for him- but for a lot of guys, the curved back isn't really dangerous when, say, done every few months going for a max. Depends on just how strong you are.
Disagree. Bad technique is always dangerous. Will you always get injured when using bad technique? Certainly not, but that doesn't make it safe and proper.

- Mark