CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Eddie Baumgartner
Member Eddie Baumgartner is offline
 
Eddie Baumgartner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vallejo  CA
Posts: 106
deadlift 1rm

so this video is sideways, couldnt convert it, from my cft. ill post the previous tomorrow to show the difference. anyhelp would be awesome, again sorry for the sideways angle.

http://www.vimeo.com/14661534 (WFS)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Beau Bryant
Affiliate Beau Bryant is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Westminster  MD
Posts: 327
Re: deadlift 1rm

Seriously?
__________________
www.crossfitretribution.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Eric A. Brown
Member Eric A. Brown is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York  NY
Posts: 226
Re: deadlift 1rm

I am not trying to be obnoxious here.


1. Do not attempt a deadlift 1RM until you get some (a lot) more practice working on your technique.
2. Your back was flat at the start, but as soon as you started to pull, you did a nice impression of a rainbow. Keep the arch in your lower back, or at least keep it flat. To this end . . .
3. Get your hips down. Because of your build, you are going to pull with more back than some guys. Until your back is stronger, and you learn to initiate the drive with the legs, you are going to continue to have issues with your deadlift.
4. You may need to do specific work to bring up your core. I do not even like using that term, but your form was bad enough that I am forced to. Work your erectors, obliques, and abs, even if not programmed. You need more stability around the middle or you are going to risk injury.
5. Really work on your technique. Use the three official ways of doing this: practice, practice, and practice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Jon Thorland
Member Jon Thorland is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis  MN
Posts: 59
Re: deadlift 1rm

I literally cringed when I watched that.

Dude... please see a coach immediately.

Last edited by Jon Thorland : 09-03-2010 at 09:13 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Morgan McGaha
Member Morgan McGaha is offline
 
Morgan McGaha's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Las Vegas  NV
Posts: 371
Re: deadlift 1rm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A. Brown View Post
I am not trying to be obnoxious here.


1. Do not attempt a deadlift 1RM until you get some (a lot) more practice working on your technique.
2. Your back was flat at the start, but as soon as you started to pull, you did a nice impression of a rainbow. Keep the arch in your lower back, or at least keep it flat. To this end . . .
3. Get your hips down. Because of your build, you are going to pull with more back than some guys. Until your back is stronger, and you learn to initiate the drive with the legs, you are going to continue to have issues with your deadlift.
4. You may need to do specific work to bring up your core. I do not even like using that term, but your form was bad enough that I am forced to. Work your erectors, obliques, and abs, even if not programmed. You need more stability around the middle or you are going to risk injury.
5. Really work on your technique. Use the three official ways of doing this: practice, practice, and practice.
Along with fixing your atrocious form, keep your shoulders behind the bar, not in front. Your not doing a clean. And to make us sleep better at night, please keep that back straight. Please. For me.
__________________
I AM TEH FAT WIZARDS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Eddie Baumgartner
Member Eddie Baumgartner is offline
 
Eddie Baumgartner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vallejo  CA
Posts: 106
Re: deadlift 1rm

yeah this was horrible attempt, i just wasnt ready. i set a goal to dl 350 in 8 weeks and it was that day so i just did it i have a video at 325 and its a lot better, thanks for the tips and helpers, im not going to rush the weight anymore, im going to slow it all down and concentrate only on form instead of what weight is on the bar. thanks guys.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Chris Caruso
Member Chris Caruso is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 37
Re: deadlift 1rm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha View Post
Along with fixing your atrocious form, keep your shoulders behind the bar, not in front. Your not doing a clean. And to make us sleep better at night, please keep that back straight. Please. For me.
CFJ Deadlift article(w/fs, full pdf link on page). A good read for anyone who deadlifts. Note the part about shoulder position relative to the bar.

Last edited by Chris Caruso : 09-03-2010 at 12:23 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Troy Becker
Member Troy Becker is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno  NV
Posts: 1,118
Re: deadlift 1rm

It could have been better, but it WAS a 1RM, you know. At a weight of 315 (I think?) I'd want to see better than what I saw, but let's all remember that form isn't perfect when we hit a max.

I was personally more annoyed with the 90 degree rotation of the earth than concerned with his form.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
Mark Kosmowski
Member Mark Kosmowski is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oneida  NY
Posts: 135
Re: deadlift 1rm

At eleven and a half seconds, this is what people mean by rounded back?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #10
Matth Challoner
Member Matth Challoner is offline
 
Matth Challoner's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Alicante  Valenciana Spain
Posts: 464
Re: deadlift 1rm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
At eleven and a half seconds, this is what people mean by rounded back?
The rounding of the Lower back, yeah.
__________________
When animals surrender, they go lying on the back. I never go lying on the back. It's a sign of weakness and surrendering. --Mikko Salo 2009 Crossfit Games Champion.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
press 1rm compared to push/split jerk 1rm Yahya Kohgadai Exercises 9 04-15-2010 10:14 PM
DL 1RM guestimation Kevin Shaughnessy Exercises 18 02-22-2010 11:22 PM
Deadlift 1RM 335 form check Scott Shapiro Digital Coaching 11 11-28-2009 10:11 AM
1RM DL's Jason Watson Exercises 6 02-12-2008 11:53 AM
Best sub for 1RM Snatches Scott Carter Exercises 6 01-27-2008 04:20 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.