CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:
deadlift 1rm

so this video is sideways, couldnt convert it, from my cft. ill post the previous tomorrow to show the difference. anyhelp would be awesome, again sorry for the sideways angle.

http://www.vimeo.com/14661534 (WFS)
Old 09-03-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Beau Bryant

Profile:
Re: deadlift 1rm

Seriously?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
Eric A. Brown

Profile:

I am not trying to be obnoxious here.

1. Do not attempt a deadlift 1RM until you get some (a lot) more practice working on your technique.
2. Your back was flat at the start, but as soon as you started to pull, you did a nice impression of a rainbow. Keep the arch in your lower back, or at least keep it flat. To this end . . .
3. Get your hips down. Because of your build, you are going to pull with more back than some guys. Until your back is stronger, and you learn to initiate the drive with the legs, you are going to continue to have issues with your deadlift.
4. You may need to do specific work to bring up your core. I do not even like using that term, but your form was bad enough that I am forced to. Work your erectors, obliques, and abs, even if not programmed. You need more stability around the middle or you are going to risk injury.
5. Really work on your technique. Use the three official ways of doing this: practice, practice, and practice.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Jon Thorland

Profile:

I literally cringed when I watched that.

Dude... please see a coach immediately.

Last edited by Jon Thorland : 09-03-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric A. Brown View Post
I am not trying to be obnoxious here.

1. Do not attempt a deadlift 1RM until you get some (a lot) more practice working on your technique.
2. Your back was flat at the start, but as soon as you started to pull, you did a nice impression of a rainbow. Keep the arch in your lower back, or at least keep it flat. To this end . . .
3. Get your hips down. Because of your build, you are going to pull with more back than some guys. Until your back is stronger, and you learn to initiate the drive with the legs, you are going to continue to have issues with your deadlift.
4. You may need to do specific work to bring up your core. I do not even like using that term, but your form was bad enough that I am forced to. Work your erectors, obliques, and abs, even if not programmed. You need more stability around the middle or you are going to risk injury.
5. Really work on your technique. Use the three official ways of doing this: practice, practice, and practice.
Along with fixing your atrocious form, keep your shoulders behind the bar, not in front. Your not doing a clean. And to make us sleep better at night, please keep that back straight. Please. For me.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
Eddie Baumgartner

Profile:

yeah this was horrible attempt, i just wasnt ready. i set a goal to dl 350 in 8 weeks and it was that day so i just did it i have a video at 325 and its a lot better, thanks for the tips and helpers, im not going to rush the weight anymore, im going to slow it all down and concentrate only on form instead of what weight is on the bar. thanks guys.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Chris Caruso

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan McGaha View Post
Along with fixing your atrocious form, keep your shoulders behind the bar, not in front. Your not doing a clean. And to make us sleep better at night, please keep that back straight. Please. For me.
CFJ Deadlift article(w/fs, full pdf link on page). A good read for anyone who deadlifts. Note the part about shoulder position relative to the bar.

Last edited by Chris Caruso : 09-03-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Troy Becker

Profile:

It could have been better, but it WAS a 1RM, you know. At a weight of 315 (I think?) I'd want to see better than what I saw, but let's all remember that form isn't perfect when we hit a max.

I was personally more annoyed with the 90 degree rotation of the earth than concerned with his form.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

At eleven and a half seconds, this is what people mean by rounded back?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #10
Matth Challoner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
At eleven and a half seconds, this is what people mean by rounded back?
The rounding of the Lower back, yeah.