CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
Thatcher R. Cardon

Profile:
"Fran Lung" a subset of Exercise Induced Asthma

I am an avid home-gym crossfitter since July of 2008. While I have never been as fit as I am now, I have been interested in fitness my whole life and have done a lot of different things, adventure racing, Jiu-jitsu, mountain bike racing, mountain climbing, football, wrestling, jogging. I am a healthy non-smoker. I have never had asthma or any lung reaction to heavy exercise; however, every time I do Fran (and no other WOD) I get a two-day cough productive of opaque greenish thick mucus in casts the shape of my bronchioles, some audible wheezing but no real bronchospasm or shortness of breath.

I am also a Family Physician so I decided to try and figure it out. I won't say that I put the work required for publication into the effort; however, it is possible that this question has not been well addressed in the literature. Most of the stuff you see on line doesn't make sense or is not applicable to you or me e.g. pulmonary edema, infections. (In the end you really need to work with your personal physician to rule out important problems. I cannot be responsible for giving anyone direct medical advice in such limited forum.)

I have discovered something that may have helped me in a big way and I thought I would share. Recently I had the opportunity to talk casually with a pulmonologist and I explained my symptoms. He said that he thought it was asthma but a mild case and that people can often "run through it". He suggested that after "Fran" I should continue to exercise at a moderate pace for several minutes; that stopping during the reactive phase of the asthma somehow allows it to be more severe. I think the unique ability for "Fran" to induce a sizable oxygen debt also figures in.

I did the last main site WOD "Fran" with trepedation, anticipating the two day cough and clearing the throat. I did the WOD, a nice PR for me at 5:58 (even after Angie (PR at 20:13)!) and continued to exercise on my C2. I pulled at a moderate pace for about 800 meters and then worked on my double unders for several minutes.

This intervention appeared to decrease my symptoms by a good 75%! I was very pleased. Thinking about doing some more research and possibly submit to CFJ. Any similar experiences or opinions?

Hope this helps some others.

Cheers

Thatcher 42/M/200/5'10"
Old 11-19-2009, 05:26 AM   #2
Tony Black

Profile:
Re: "Fran Lung" a subset of Exercise Induced Asthma

Hi Thatcher - now that you mention it i get almost the exact same reaction during Helen last time.... i put it down to the flu thing that was going around at the time. Wasnt the most pleasant of experiences

Never had it before on Fran though (fingers crossed).

Ill try your tip if symptoms reoccur....
Old 11-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Paul Kirk

Profile:

I had the same thing after fran this week. I was blaming it on the chalk dust. I have never had asthma, but coughed for a couple of hours and had a tight chest most of the day. My throat is still not right. I will try the cool down next time.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

There is such thing as exercised induced interstitial pulmonary edema.... which is, oddly enough, propagated by sustained high intensity exercise.

For example, wfs
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19745192

We had a discussion on 'fran lung' a while back too I believe if you wanna do a search for it.

edit wfs
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=42450
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=15727

Cooldown works with sustained bouts of high intensity exercise because it keeps the blood circulating, especially through the lungs, to help reabsorb and clear up such stuff.

Last edited by Steven Low : 11-19-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Tony Black

Profile:

Nice1 cheers Steven!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
Thatcher R. Cardon

Profile:

I did read all these articles and threads. In my (medical) opinon interstitial edema doesn't account for my symptoms, or the symptoms reported by many here and other places. I decided to post because what I "discovered" seems like the better answer. If cool down works for both, that's great it is an easy, safe intervention.

I don't remember the pulmonary edema article talking about cool down as a treatment, but I didn't study it in depth because I am sure I don't have that.

Last edited by Thatcher R. Cardon : 11-19-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Louise Smith

Profile:

Thanks for this post! I do have exercise induced asthma, but I have never done a cool down after to see if that reduces the reaction I get after working out. I am going to try it after my next hard workout.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #8
Justin Z. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatcher R. Cardon View Post
This intervention appeared to decrease my symptoms by a good 75%!
Hi Thatcher,

What does that mean? 75% less cough? 75% less mucus? 75% less days total duration? 75% "feeling better" on a subjective scale?

Justin
Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
Thatcher R. Cardon

Profile:

I still had all the symptoms but they each were only about 25% severity/length of the previous episodes.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:

On a nutritional note, dump all dairy for 30 days...milk, cheese, you name it. Dairy can increase bronchial inflammation and can be a reason for exercise induced asthma as well. Only way to know for sure, eliminate and see what follows. After 2-4 weeks of 100% elimination, SLOWLY reintroduce again see how well you can tolerate it.