CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Thomas A. Holmes

Profile:
Diet in first week of Starting Strength

here's what ive been eating. i welcome criticism or any advice youz guys might have.

I weigh about 185, and according to a body fat percentage gadget, have about 11.9 percent body fat, though i think its got to be higher, closer to 15. 6 feet tall.

trying to comsume about 200 grams of protein a day, which includes two quarts of reduced fat milk.

for breakfast, lunch and dinner, i usually have two pieces of fruit, most often a banana and a pear to get somewhere around 36-40 grams of carb. i put a little more than a table spoon of peanut butter on the banana and have a little less than half a pound of oven roasted turkey. should be close to 40 grams carbs, 35 grams protein, 12-15 grams fat.

between breakfast and lunch around 10am, i drink a quart of milk.

between lunch and dinner around 2pm, ill have a meal with half as many carbs, but still 35 grams worth of turkey or meat.

post workout meal is a quart of milk. shortly after that is dinner. between dinner and bed, another meal with half the carbs.

so its basically a 4 block meal plan, but with 5 blocks protein for every meal and two quarts reduced fat milk, which has 5 grams of fat per serving instead of 8 and 10 grams protein instead of 8. im not too sure what the calorie intake is, but believe this is about what i should be getting at least for protein. and i may up the milk to a gallon a day when they weight starts getting really heavy around week 3 or 4.

any thoughts on this? Really appreciate everyones input. love this freakin site.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Renee Lee

Profile:
Re: Diet in first week of Starting Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas A. Holmes View Post
here's what ive been eating. i welcome criticism or any advice youz guys might have.

I weigh about 185, and according to a body fat percentage gadget, have about 11.9 percent body fat, though i think its got to be higher, closer to 15. 6 feet tall.

trying to comsume about 200 grams of protein a day, which includes two quarts of reduced fat milk.

for breakfast, lunch and dinner, i usually have two pieces of fruit, most often a banana and a pear to get somewhere around 36-40 grams of carb. i put a little more than a table spoon of peanut butter on the banana and have a little less than half a pound of oven roasted turkey. should be close to 40 grams carbs, 35 grams protein, 12-15 grams fat.

between breakfast and lunch around 10am, i drink a quart of milk.

between lunch and dinner around 2pm, ill have a meal with half as many carbs, but still 35 grams worth of turkey or meat.

post workout meal is a quart of milk. shortly after that is dinner. between dinner and bed, another meal with half the carbs.

so its basically a 4 block meal plan, but with 5 blocks protein for every meal and two quarts reduced fat milk, which has 5 grams of fat per serving instead of 8 and 10 grams protein instead of 8. im not too sure what the calorie intake is, but believe this is about what i should be getting at least for protein. and i may up the milk to a gallon a day when they weight starts getting really heavy around week 3 or 4.

any thoughts on this? Really appreciate everyones input. love this freakin site.
i thought you were drinking raw milk?

since you're not...drink whole milk.

also, i'm pretty sure people have commented on/critiqued your diet as a whole in other threads you've started. this is likely overkill...
Old 10-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

You are over-thinking this.

Start with a clean diet. Paleo is good.

Add whole-fat milk at every meal. If you don't have an empty gallon at the end of the day you did this part wrong.

Lift.

Done.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Stafford View Post
You are over-thinking this.

Start with a clean diet. Paleo is good.

Add whole-fat milk at every meal. If you don't have an empty gallon at the end of the day you did this part wrong.

Lift.

Done.
THIS! ^^^

also, Matt...nice avatar change i like!

/hijack
Old 10-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Reduced fat milk is for sissies.

If you're doing Starting Strength just eat until you want to puke. And remember to wash it down with whole milk.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Thomas A. Holmes

Profile:

yo Renee. did i post my meal plan before? i dont think i did. but i will shut up because that is pretty much what you are telling me to do and i want your input in future, more relevant posts. and i was doing raw milk, but its too expensive.

fine whole milk it is. but i know this is oging to make me very fat - soon. seriously, im going to be wearing a training braw by the end of the third week. i guess this is a sacrifice i must make in order to get real strong real fast.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"fine whole milk it is. but i know this is oging to make me very fat - soon. seriously, im going to be wearing a training braw by the end of the third week. i guess this is a sacrifice i must make in order to get real strong real fast."

How old are you and how tall?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Thomas A. Holmes

Profile:

im 27 and 6 feet tall. 185.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

And you are worried about getting fat? Maybe SS and GOMAD aren't for you.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Randy Hill

Profile:

www.70sbig.comYOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Please lock thread.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 10-08-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Please follow rules.