CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
Craig Adams

Profile:
Robb Wolf or Dr. Sears VS Rip

Ok, I know it is no contest, Sears could take em both with one love handle tied behind his back. (ooo, that was below the belt)
But wait! Aren't all these guys indirectly on the same team - the Crossfit team? Crossfit Nutrition seminars use the Zone block system to prescribe the correct amount of food per day. Rip runs an affiliate and does the Crossfit barbell certs. So why the conflicting information:

In the Nutrition Certs I have seen Robb say that most people over-estimate thier block prescription. So to be lean and strong we should more accurately calculate our BF and activity levels to get the correct protein block prescription. For me 155lbs of LBM is going to be about 16 blocks. I seem to have found homeostasis in this general area and can modulate body composition by skinning the Zone as Robb directs. But I am not making the kind of size/strength gains I'd like to see at 16 blocks.

I just read Rip's Practical Programming for Strength Training. And his protein prescription is 1 gram of protein per lb of bodywieght. This is about 25 blocks! Even if I only use LBM, it is 22 blocks!

I know Rip doesn't run the nutrition certs and his book is about getting people strong, not neccessarily fit, but since he runs a Crossfit affliate, I am having trouble figuring out this huge discrepancy.

Am I undereating protein on only 16 blocks of protein per day?

CA
Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Rene Forestier

Profile:
Re: Robb Wolf or Dr. Sears VS Rip

Yeah, it may seem like conflicting info, but I look at them like "options".

Coach Rip certainly does have a bias toward "bigger is better". The best measure is wether or not you are getting what you want from your workouts...do you want to be stronger? (and stronger will definitely help metcons)...then you should eat more...you'll gain some bodyfat that you may then try to shed. Do you want to be leaner for some reason?...then go with Robb W.

We are all the same team...that's why its so cool to have these different perspectives/methods.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

Sears and Robb are not trying to get you bigger.

Rippetoe is trying to get you bigger.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
Matthew Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Júlíus Magnússon View Post
Sears and Robb are not trying to get you bigger.

Rippetoe is trying to get you bigger.
Quoted for truth.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Laura Kurth

Profile:

You are forgetting the 'hidden' macros in your zone blocks. I suspect 16 blocks would actually be giving you close to 1g/lb lean mass, which is plenty. More would be fine too. It doesn't really matter that much as long as you aren't getting too little I don't think.

If you want to gain size and strength, you need more food full stop. Your body can't build muscle unless it recieves the fuel necessary to do so.

More food/calories.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 AM   #6
Jason David

Profile:

Take all of the information you read and make the best decision for you. For me - I eat 16 blocks. Even though that may be a bit high for me, I eventually will be a '16 blocker' if I keep eating that way. (I think). That's my logic anyway.

If my main goal was to add 25 or 30 lbs to my backsquat I'd eat more like Rip says...
Old 05-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Craig Adams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Kurth View Post
You are forgetting the 'hidden' macros in your zone blocks. I suspect 16 blocks would actually be giving you close to 1g/lb lean mass, which is plenty.
That is an interesting statement. According to Sears (and I suspect any other zoners) we should not count protein from things like beans or broccoli in our protein calculations because they are incomplete. But in the past, before the zone, all protein was protein, so you are correct.

Damn, I was hoping this could be a simple non-sciency discussion, and here we are on the threshold of the amino acids that make up a protein and whether or not it is "countable".

But I hear ya, previous posters too (thx) go toward Rip to get bigger (and possibly fatter, as I do when going that way) or go more toward Robb if I want to lean out. Where is my magic pill that will allow me to do both (without my huevos shriveling up and my liver dying off)?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Tom Furman

Profile:

There's nothing like iron junkies to persuade people to do extreme things to get stronger. As if it improves your relationships, bank account or spiritual development.

Everything from a gallon of milk a day to one set every hour to put an inch on your arms in a day is extreme.. Super Slow to only explosive lifting.... Same thing..
The truth is between the two somewhere. Measureability of the Zone gives it some power...
Read Sears,
Read Robb,
Read Lyle,
Read Martin Berkhan,,, then train, record, and analyze. You are successful at producing results.. They may not be the ones you want so, just adjust and move on.

--Tom
www.tomfurman.com
Old 05-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Furman View Post
There's nothing like iron junkies to persuade people to do extreme things to get stronger. As if it improves your relationships, bank account or spiritual development.

Everything from a gallon of milk a day to one set every hour to put an inch on your arms in a day is extreme.. Super Slow to only explosive lifting.... Same thing..
The truth is between the two somewhere. Measureability of the Zone gives it some power...
Read Sears,
Read Robb,
Read Lyle,
Read Martin Berkhan,,, then train, record, and analyze. You are successful at producing results.. They may not be the ones you want so, just adjust and move on.

--Tom
www.tomfurman.com
Being stronger does make one more useful. I think its a bit dismissive to categorize those who want to get stronger as iron junkies...the GOMAD works...there's no denying.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Travis Earp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
Being stronger does make one more useful. I think its a bit dismissive to categorize those who want to get stronger as iron junkies...the GOMAD works...there's no denying.
Agree 100%

There's no denying that gaining strength/size takes an extreme amount of calories. Heck, even the CF firebreathers are eating what, 5x fat? That's a hefty amount of calories if you think about it. I'd hardly call Ripp an iron junkie. The man knows what works and he makes people stronger AND more functional to boot. There's a reason why CF has affiliations with him.