CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Jason C Brown

Profile:
???steak???

Hey CF,

I have been here reading about IF & Paleo........
If you have a history of Heart disease in your family it is ok to eat Beef if you are following Paleo??? I am 38 & working to get my diet straight.....I train at least 4 times a week....pretty high intensity ( weight training & starting to work more exercises from the CF site & running). I love Steak, but don't eat it very much at all due to the cholesterol concern.....Talk to me CF......anyone had cholesterol improvments doing Paleo while eatting Steak??
Thanks!!!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Andy Gann

Profile:
Re: ???steak???

I am wondering the same thing ... I'll get my results tommorow.

I have been eating under 100g of carbs a day for over 6 months now (maybe more) and have pigged out (pun intended) on steak, bacon, and eggs ....

I will let you know what the change is from 2 years ago.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Jason C Brown

Profile:

Yeah!! for sure let me know what your results are Andy!!
Thanks!!!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Dietary cholesterol has little or no impact on blood cholesterol, and no reputable study has ever linked saturated fat intake to heart disease. Intake of processed carbs, however, has a pretty conclusive link to probably 90% of the major diseases in America. One of the trainers at my old affiliate started on a mostly-Paleo diet a few months ago, replacing processed carbs with lots of meat, eggs, and fat, and has lost a significant amount of body fat and seen his cholesterol improve drastically. I don't know what his before and after numbers are off the top of my head, but I'll include them in an edit when I hear back from him.

EDIT: "My before was outta control. Triglycerides were so high they couldn't get a good reading, but it was over 400mg/dl. Now, total cholesterol is at 180 and tris are at 123mg. Weight has dropped from 250 to 218."

Last edited by Eric Montgomery : 05-20-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Beef is okay, as long as its grass fed, otherwise the horror stories are all true
Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

Andy, definitely looking forward to hearing someone's results.

I have been primarily focusing on getting <100g of carbs in the past 4 or so months, and have been wondering about my numbers. Less than 1 month in I had my annual physical, and my numbers were OK across the board with my "good" cholesterol on the low end of normal and my "bad" cholesterol on the high end of normal. I wonder if I've improved those numbers too. I think I'll wait for the 6 month mark to go to the doc.

to the OP... you have to do your own research to be totally confident, but as the posters here have already said, there are no conclusive studies out there that link the cholesterol in food to how much ends up in your blood. Furthermore, Cholesterol in your blood is being found to not be the precursor to heart disease... inflammation of the arteries is. Heart disease ACTS UPON cholesterol to clog the arteries once there is enough oxidation and inflammation... its not the cholesterol itself CAUSING anything.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Thomas Kelley

Profile:

I had an easier time reading the South Beach Diet for it's info on heart health, you can get it at the library. The first few chapters made a lot of sense to me after I had put on 100lbs in 6 years (with all the wrong health measurements to go with it), on a high-carb vegetarian diet.

Zone/Paleo was a bit too much for me at first, and I'm still not quite there yet, but I have made major shifts in my diet, and as a direct result in my health and energy levels (still all the right measurements 3 years later, and I eat a lot of meat every day).
Old 05-21-2009, 04:43 AM   #8
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Have a read of "The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr Malcolm Kendrick" a very easy book to read. He does a great job of tearing apart the cholesterol myth.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:07 AM   #9
Jason C Brown

Profile:

Thanks for the advice everybody!!!! What a great Forum!!! I look forward to any other advice on this subject anyone can offer!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #10
Andy Gann

Profile:

Ok - I got this info from the nurse over the phone and I don't fully trust her ability (read: I'm in East Tennessee) but I'm sure it's accurate for the most part.

Total - 227 (I added the three numbers together myself)
HDL - 53
LDL - 159
VLDL - 15
Trig - 75

I am doing some reading because I didn't expect my total to be that high. I do like that my Trig is well below average and my VLDL is very low. From what I have read - LDL is not bad as long as it is not the very small and dense kind (that's why I asked him specificially to run a full profile and not calculate the LDL - which I'm not sure that he has done).

It is weird being on this side of society. For so long I focused solely on the total and didn't really care about the rest - but, after all of the reading that i have done (GCBC, protein power, heart scan blog ...) i suppose my numbers are pretty normal.

Now, my doctor is wanting me to go on a low cholesterol diet for 30 days and get them rechecked .... He's the same guy that told me on Monday that it's 90% genetic and diet has nothing to do with it ??? I hate going to the Dr!