CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Opinions on Paul Chek?

Based on the videos, he seems to be a guy with somewhat faulty premises, some good general conclusions, and ultimately not the best implementation.

He mentioned Yin/Yang (I would disagree), but he was mainly talking about the balancing of sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous systems. Made some good points about the importance of sleep, diet, exercise, and a low-stress environment. I certainly think more is needed than a twenty-minute walk for exercise, and his workout wasn't very good at times (though probably more effective than the average gymgoer's). His breathing was dangerously off (he seemed to be exhaling/inhaling like that on purpose).

And he's got a funny voice.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 PM   #12
Mike Mallory

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristofer Shamloo View Post
Any opinions on the spiritual/nutritional side of what Chek has to say Mike?
Nutrition stuff is right on point......Spiritual stuff is best heard in person, otherwise you WILL think he's crazy, it all sounds a little weird out of context, but rest assured, you have to be open-minded to let it in. I don't follow that stuff so to speak, but I respect where he's going.

and for some of the other folks, heres some chek gym stats;

Snatch Grip Overhead Barbell Lunges - 215lbs for 10 reps
Single Arm Overhead Dumbbell Lunge - 100lbs x 5 reps
Barbell Lunge - 295 x 4 reps
Deadlift - 500lbs
Single Arm Dumbbell Clean & Jerk - 180lbs
Single Arm Chin-Ups - 2 full reps
Single Arm Push-Ups - 100 reps
Old 11-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #13
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
Snatch Grip Overhead Barbell Lunges - 215lbs for 10 reps
Single Arm Overhead Dumbbell Lunge - 100lbs x 5 reps
Barbell Lunge - 295 x 4 reps
Deadlift - 500lbs
Single Arm Dumbbell Clean & Jerk - 180lbs
Single Arm Chin-Ups - 2 full reps
Single Arm Push-Ups - 100 reps
This guy can do all that, currently? Those are pretty impressive. I wonder what his barbell C&J is?

After seeing those videos and reading the articles, I like a lot of his stuff. The spiritual thing is a little too strange for me. I'm not convinced that his workouts are any better for GPP than CrossFit, but it's clear that it's bringing about some good strength and conditioning. Mike Modano is probably the best American hockey player so it's impressive that he trained him.
The one thing that concerned me was that I saw no real direction to the training. CrossFit has a very specific goal: increased work capacity over broad time and modal domains, or improvements in each of the 10 physical characteristics through measurable methods. I don't see what Paul Chek is trying to accomplish other than being strong and healthy. Those are good things, but a bit too vague, unless I am missing something
Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #14
Wade Smith

Profile:

The YouTube video linked by OP shows a prominent bias towards "balancing" in his videotaped workout.

I've never heard of the guy before but I wonder how many of us could balance on an exercise ball while whipping that snappy bow thing? I know I couldn't do it right now, that's for sure.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #15
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Interesting that this just came up. I tuned into FitTV yesterday (it's always fun to get a good laugh) and they were interviewing a surfer (last name Hamilton). The surfer was talking about his diet and how he eats no grains, no dairy, etc. "if people didn't eat it 10,000 years ago I don't eat it" is what he said.

He went on to say that he was trained by Paul Chek and they did a little blurb about him. I looked him up, but got distracted quickly.

That video is pretty funny - I couldn't get past the reverse lunges swinging the club. I don't know how heavy that club is but I do know that I would whack myself in the knee with it if I tried that

I like what I have heard about his nutrition stance - but it is like a lot of others' around here.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #16
Júlíus Magnússon

Profile:

He reminds me of a drunk high school chick with all that high pitched woo-ing.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #17
Tate Rivera

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Smith View Post
I've never heard of the guy before but I wonder how many of us could balance on an exercise ball while whipping that snappy bow thing? I know I couldn't do it right now, that's for sure.
That was hilarious. Watching him on that exercise ball.

I think that it is pretty easy to get a good "aerobic" exercise without really getting much accomplished. The "mountain climber" pull-ups were kind of a joke, but he does seem to have pretty good balance with those backward lunges while swinging the club. But again, it seems sort of silly to me.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #18
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna Rettenmayer View Post
Interesting that this just came up. I tuned into FitTV yesterday (it's always fun to get a good laugh) and they were interviewing a surfer (last name Hamilton). The surfer was talking about his diet and how he eats no grains, no dairy, etc. "if people didn't eat it 10,000 years ago I don't eat it" is what he said.

He went on to say that he was trained by Paul Chek and they did a little blurb about him. I looked him up, but got distracted quickly.

That video is pretty funny - I couldn't get past the reverse lunges swinging the club. I don't know how heavy that club is but I do know that I would whack myself in the knee with it if I tried that

I like what I have heard about his nutrition stance - but it is like a lot of others' around here.

You're talking about legendary Big wave surfer Laird Hamilton husband of volleyball player Gabriel Reece
Old 11-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #19
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate Rivera View Post
That was hilarious. Watching him on that exercise ball.

I think that it is pretty easy to get a good "aerobic" exercise without really getting much accomplished. The "mountain climber" pull-ups were kind of a joke, but he does seem to have pretty good balance with those backward lunges while swinging the club. But again, it seems sort of silly to me.

He's doing that type of stuff becuase it bests simulates and works the muscles needed for surfing. Looking silly is irrelevant, what works best is what's important
Old 11-26-2008, 03:35 AM   #20
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You're talking about legendary Big wave surfer Laird Hamilton husband of volleyball player Gabriel Reece

I envy him already. From what I've heard, CHEK's system of balancing everything is would be a bias towards injury prevention. Long but definitely immensely important. Athletes need to stay healthy and are worthless if they can't.

Those lunges are weird, especially how he switches his grip while swinging it side to side.

Hmm, I have a ball...now do I have something whippy like that?