CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-10-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
Israel Halperin

Profile:
from what i understand, paul chek recommends tucking the belly in to activte the TVA. stiff says belly out for reasons i dont understand.

what are the reasons stiff belives in belly out?

also, if anyone can direct me to a scientific article about the issue i will appreciate it
Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
"Belly out" advice is usually meant for those who use a belt, i.e. competitive powerlifters.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Martin Schap

Profile:
You don't have to be using a belt for belly out to be useful. It is a good visualization for the valsalva maneuver- take a deep breath into your stomach and hold it while keeping your abs braced (not sucked in) will protect you from injury to some extent. This is not necessarily a PLers "big air" against a belt, but it is a similar concept of using a big breath to aid in bracing the core.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
you can draw in your TVAs first but also draw in air to fill the diaphram and increase the abdominal pressure/spinal support (all while still having TVAs contracted). Takes practice.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:07 PM   #5

Profile:

i concur with my esteemed colleage mike. better to draw in as much air to expand the abdominal and thoracic cavity, clamp down the epiglottis, and then clamp down the abdominal musculature. that will produce the greatest possible abdominal/thoracic pressure.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:43 PM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:
Here! Here!

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 01-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I have "epiglottis"....wow....must of been that girl from the bar Sat night.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:52 AM   #8
Israel Halperin

Profile:
thanks for the replies.

does anyone know exactly what they dont agree about ? and what arguments do they use to validate their points ?
Old 01-11-2007, 04:41 AM   #9
Matthew Swift

Profile:
I think Chek is often misinterpreted ... from my understanding the "draw your belly button to your spine" is actually meant to be a cue or visualisation to get internal muscles activated (which happens neurally not through active contraction). It was not meant to mean "suck in your belly" but I have seen it often misinterpreted that way. If you visualise drawing in your belly button without actually doing it, TVA will fire and you should fell a "lift" or "wrapping" sensation of your internal muscles. The visualisation actually works a lot better if you forget about your belly button entirely and pick a spot about 2 inches below your belly button, and then try to draw that spot into your spine. If you do this properly you will find that you can do both at the same time, ie, activate your TVA AND draw in air and brace the abdominal cavity as per the great advice above. Both actions are important for lumber and thoracic health and safety. Having said that, if you brace as per Greg's instructions, TVA will fire anyway so the visualisation is redundant. I heard a great quote "show me someone who can deadlift 400 and I'll show you TVA activation" :-)
Old 01-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #10
Garry Berryhill

Profile:
IIRC, the big stink between Chek and Siff was that Siff felt it was unnecessary to consciously activate the TVA. Things got pretty acrimonious; aspersions were cast, bad names called (gasp!). I remember that Siff came out ahead in their exchanges; he was a pretty canny dude.

Those were fun times. Now Siff has passed on and Paul Chek has gone off the deep end. This is an age without heroes.