CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-05-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Let's revamp the CF Warmup

Nice to have your constructive input, Randy.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 AM   #12
Victor Putz

Profile:

/shrug.

I'm with Jon:

Quote:
the movements aren't simply pulled from a hat. They're based on the major biomechanical movments (hip flexor extension & flexion, trunk extension & flexion, upper body push & pull). There are lots of other ways to accomplish the above stated goals but the mainstream concepts for a warm-up are usually inadequate.
And so as long as you're doing that, you're accomplishing the intent. I sub leg raises on rings for situps and ring dips or HSPUs for dips, and add jump roping for skill work, but the basic groupings are still there and I think that's important.

(minor quip: "trunk extension and flexion" may not exactly be right since the GHD situp should not change the "length" of the trunk according to videos, but same idea sorta).

with that in mind,

Quote:
Mike's unofficial CFWU:

1/2 mile jog
Trace circles in the air with arms - 10 small, 10 full range of motion, both arms
Stretch quads and hamstrings - dynamic stretches
5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats (i.e. 1 round of Cindy)
Stretch groin, calves - dynamic stretches
5-10 Dips
2 samson stretches, 1 for each leg
- hip flexor extension and flexion: jog is about the only thing that thinks about working these, and it certainly doesn't have anything approaching full ROM.
- Trunk extension and flexion: None
- Upper body push and pull: some

...but in general I'd take the CFWU before that because of the change in coverage. No offense, Mike, but you're presenting a totally different sort of WU that doesn't cover the same ground. It's not a bad thing, but it's like coming on here and saying "I think the WODs need total revamping and should focus more on long-distance running"--it's not that running is a bad idea, but it's a completely different sort of coverage.

Having said that, the WU is the most malleable part of this. If you're getting similar coverage, go crazy as far as I'm concerned. As for it being too hard, that's okay--scale it. I can't do all the pullups, so I sub ring rows. I can't make it through all of my ring dips, so I do as many as I can and then assist. Yes, that means part of the WU is developmental, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing at all.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:53 AM   #13
Travis Hall

Profile:

If you're looking for ideas for different warmups- search the archives. This has come up a few times before.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:05 AM   #14
Timothy Walsh

Profile:

In case you missed it Michael, Greg A's warm up video.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...regAWarmup.wmv
Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #15
Steve Liberati

Profile:

I have found Dynamic Mobility and Flexibilty Drills to be an excellent warm-up to activate the hip flexors and other joints while firing up the CNS before engaging in an intense workout. I found the CFWU x 3 getting in the way of the workout and dampering performance. Besides, I think its good to change it up from time to time focusing on different movements and activation points.

Highly recommend Magnificant Mobility (m2) from Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson for a slew of dynamic warm-up and mobility drills that anyone can do at home.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:44 AM   #16
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Shrug. I don't feel like I have anywhere near the knowledge to change the warmup.
At this point, I do 2 sets of the three before each WOD. It's time for me to do 3 sets tho. I think it's really helped me a)get warmed up and b) develop some of the major muscle groups and movements that are helpful for the workouts and overall fitness.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #17
Matt Thomas

Profile:

The only question I ever had about the CF warmup was the sampson stretch. I hear and read repeatedly that static stretches are bad for performance. So what is the logic in having them in the warmup?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #18
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
The only question I ever had about the CF warmup was the sampson stretch. I hear and read repeatedly that static stretches are bad for performance. So what is the logic in having them in the warmup?
I have the same question.

I do a blend of the CS warmup and Greg A's warmup. Lots of Dynamic stretched, joint mobility movements, dips, pullups, air squats, OHS squats, K2Es and back extensions.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #19
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

I know its not as organized as some of the purists would want it to be, but I just kind of jump around the gym and see what I feel like to get warmed up. I try to vaguely follow the CFWU, but I may throw a different stretch in, shadowboxing, light thruster, KB swings, whatever gets ya going!

I just treat that time like a boxer in prefight mode, I jump around, get light on my toes, get the blood flowing, and just get in my game face mode. If I feel constrained to a structured warm-up, it detracts from my psycholgical readiness to the WOD, when I feel ready to go head to head with Fran- I'm ready. I'm not going to wait until my last stretch of the CFWU to tell me when I'm ready.

As a side note, I think the Burgener warm-up is not used enough. It really works your whole, body, gets your hips into it, and has the added bonus of skill work for your oly lifts. Going about three rounds with the Burgener warm-up using a 45 lb bar, about has me sweating and ready to rock n' roll if you do it at a good pace.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 AM   #20
David Vessey

Profile:

My 2 cents: I always do the CFWU or something very similar before a workout. sometimes I throw in chin ups rather than pull ups, or a few muscle ups rather than pull ups and dips, or GHD situps rather than regular sit ups. Generally depends how I'm feeling and how bad the WOD looks.