CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #1
Nick Pritchett

Profile:
Some good books?

I was looking into picking up some books to gain some knowledge. I'd like to learn more about our biomechanics. Muscles and the skeletal system working together. Maybe something with an emphasis on the way good fitness affects our biomechanics. Thanks for your input in advance. Also, sorry if this isn't the right spot for this thread. Wasn't sure which section this should go in.

Nick
Old 05-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Some good books?

Don' think there's one like that.

Grab an anatomy and physiology book, and a kinesiology or biomechanics book.

Unfortunately, these will cost you a pretty penny.. and to be honest you can learn most of everything on the Internet with good sources.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Kirez Reynolds

Profile:

I think it will be more useful for you to learn anatomy & physiology in the context of how it relates to specific exercises and sports; generalized study of anatomy and physiology is an abstract, dry and lengthy pursuit, but when you're reading about how it works with respect to specific sports and performance, it's much more satisfying and you'll actually understand and remember it better.

A good example of this is Rippetoe's Starting Strength --- a recommendation you'll run into over and over here. Check out http://****************.com -- WFS.

I'm extremely interested in other book recommendations, which is why I'm adding my paltry .02 to this thread. I imagine the study materials for the ACSM, NSCA, NASM and ACE certifications are relevant, but I'd love to see reviews from people who've experienced more than one book. I've read or perused a few of these in the past, and I edited and revised the SEALs Physical Fitness Guide (some 8 years ago) -- for which we didn't use references at all -- and I've never come across any title that impressed me much.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I would suggest anything by Vladimir Zatsiorsky. They will be college level and somewhat dry, but really good info. He's a professor at PSU and trained lots of russian athletes
Old 05-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

If you're looking for biochemistry I found this one on google scholar that seemed pretty good:

Mougios, V. Exercise Biochemistry. Human Kinetics; 2006.

Training-wise I mean like Kirez and others have said you can't go wrong with Starting Strength for techniques.

For pure programming.. practical programming is good as well as stuff from Zatsiorsky and other older Russian or Bulgarian coaches.

It all depends specifically what you're looking for here as it's pretty broad cause biomechanics/kinesiology are a bit different from specific biochemistry and cellular level processes.. which is different from programming and such.
Old 05-24-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Joey Powell

Profile:

SuperTraining by Dr. Mel Siff.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Nick Pritchett

Profile:

If anyone is interested I found this book on amazon that looked pretty interesting. Its called:
Introduction to Sports Biomechanis: Analysing Human Movement Patterns
author: Roger Bartlett

Sorry I would link, but I'm on my cell phone. Let mekniw what you think. I think this is kind of what I'm after. Says it also is combined with a website with videos and graphs and such.