CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #1
David Gessen

Profile:
please tell me it'll change

WHY MY SHOULDERS ARE SO NARROW?!
they are only 40.157 inches, my brother who is 11 has wider shoulders than my, although he weighs about 176lbs.. but I'm soon 16

My motivation is down, I don't feel like doing nothing...
why is this happening why I have shoulders like a 5'1 woman...
I feel like crap, like I won't make any progress anymore with the barbell...

Will this change?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Re: please tell me it'll change

Why don't you try swimming?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

That will change more than likely. I think in the low 20s there is some "thickening" of men. I'm pretty sure this happened to me.

I suspect you can help it with heavy training. Start training like a powerlifter for instance. I think I got thicker from brazilian jiujitsu also. I had a friend who used to do tkd and had a long-lean look. Once he switched to jits, his whole body got thicker it seems. Perhaps not but he seems to think so.

howard
Old 05-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:

David,

Your very young to be worrying about this. I know that at almost 16, you really, really, want to look good. But your still young and your body is still developing. You don't say how old your brother is but I have to assume he is older.

Keep working out and in the meantime, remember all the other wonderful things that exercise brings. If your doing crossfit, you probably look pretty darn good even without those wide shoulders.

Beth
Old 05-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Sorry, David. It will never change.
You might as well get breast implants now.

Seriously, be patient. Don't expect to get suddenly huge overnight. Keep lifting heavy and you'll progress.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

David,

You're cranking through starting strength and you just got you deadlift looking decent and your clean is coming along. Tell me this, how are the weights coming? Are you getting stronger?

You're 16, and you're probably not done growing yet. And if you are, who cares. You may not have massive broad shoulders, but is that a reason to stop lifting?

Dude, keep at it. Nothing can be gained by giving up and succumbing to these feelings.

You're an Xfitter , a devotee of Rip's. We don't care about appearance and size. No we care about strength, speed and power. About running our opponent in the ground. About being the best at as many physical pursuits as we can. So you suck it up, lift the weight and kick *** man.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #7
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Unless your brother is 176 pounds of solid muscle, which I'm guessing he's not, you shouldn't be envious of his shoulders. They're all fat.

Listen to what everyone else is saying. Quit worrying so much about your appearance. You are young and still growing, and it is DUMB for you to expect to look like a 25-year-old. It's called puberty, man. You won't be done with it for another five years, and if you keep lifting weights and eating healthy you will look awesome when you're older. But these things take time. TIME. Everyone on the boards keeps telling you this same thing, and yet every couple of weeks you've posted another complaint about how you aren't looking like Greg yet!
Old 05-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
Nick Pritchett

Profile:

hey buddy! No worries man. Your at such an awesome point in your life. Go at this stuff hard and you'll progress. I'm 22 now everyday wish I would have cared about my health and physical fitness back in high school. I was 135 all four years of high school. I was a scrawny skater kid. Now since starting crossfit 4 weeks ago I've gained 10lbs of muscle. Point being, in agreement with everyone else, stop *****ing and use the aggression to train harder and you'll see results.

talk to us again in 4 years and let us know how you feel then. Haha.
3...2...1 GO!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gessen View Post
I feel like crap, like I won't make any progress anymore with the barbell...
Don't be ridiculous. Just because you don't have meaty shoulders the size of a house doesn't mean you won't make progress. Your shoulder press hasn't stalled, has it?
Old 05-24-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
Frank E Morel

Profile:

keep saying and talking stupid like that.. I will have a friend of mine, who is a captain in the IDF come over to your house and pimp slap you til you understand that that is talk of a girl. She loves to hit men, the more girly the better.

Seriously, your body is noooooooooooooooooo where near finish growing, your next big growth surge is at 17 then again at 21 and the last one is 25.

SO suck it up, your going to get stronger. And if you come back on here one day saying you have a liver tumor from you steriods, I will personally get on a EL AL flight to Tel aviv and smack you. And if your in Canada.. dude I have a canadian passport.. I will still find you and smack you.

Keep eating , and lifting.. strenght is power, but self confidence is the biggest strenght of all,