CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-23-2008, 04:44 AM   #1
Robin Owens

Profile:
Goals

I recently became burned out with my weight lifting routines and began letting life get in the way too often. Some friends of mine suggested it was because I did not have set goals. I am happy with where I am. Shoot me. But yesterday I was playing baseball with my son, then we went for a bike ride and I came to a realization. I don't need goals.(other than just staying in shape) I enjoy this stuff. Just like baseball, camping, hiking...it is just one of the things on the list I enjoy doing. Are there others in this boat or am I alone in my thinking?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Daniel Doiron

Profile:
Re: Goals

I will go back and forth with goal setting. I enjoy just doing 'stuff' without having to think about...what am I going to get out of this workout. I know lots of 'groups' and join them in their workouts (run, bike, CrossFit outside, etc). BUT, when I loose motivation, I automatically tend to set goals and change things around, measure progress. I'll flip back and forth. I do get LOTS more out of my training when I set goals.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

If you're fine where you are that's cool.

If you want to improve your performance for whatever reason you NEED goals. No exceptions.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

I personally find it hard to even begin a WOD without setting some sort of goal. It's just not possible for me, and if I could go through an entire WOD without some expectation as to the results, or my performance what would be the point. The thing about goals is that just because their not concrete, or written down in a little notebook you carry with you all day doesn't mean you don't have them. I've also always told myself that when your happy with where your at......you're done. I'd be willing to bet that if you look hard enough there's something you'd like to accomplish that you haven't been able to yet; whether it be taking a few seconds off your 5k run time, add 20 or 30# to your CFT, cut a couple % of BF, or maybe something with how your fitness regimen may translate into performance at your job, career, or some aspect of your everyday life.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
Marc Doucette

Profile:

I know Crossfit Mount Diablo has you write your goals on the whiteboard... Generally you would put up a:

Body goal
Strength goal
Gymnastics goal
Work output goal

so for instance, I wrote:

body weight: 195
15 bodyweight OHS
5 conseq muscle ups
<3:30 fran

This however, was only very recently, until then, like you, I simply worked out. I have little problem with motivation etc. I don't see a problem with someone who can push hard not having specific goals, just make sure you don't fall by the wayside.

For me, setting some goals has made it even easier to make sure im getting into the gym and working on weakpoints, it takes so little effort to just set some goals I'd never see the harm in it, especially compared to the benefit I get.

Furthermore, friends love to ask me, "What is your ultimate fitness goal? What are you striving for? There are limits you know." Usually they sigh when I say something to the effect of, "I'm really curious to find out where these limits are." But I've also found this idea can turn people away from getting out and exercising, so more recently I've been leaning towards, "I truly just want a genuine healthy fitness that will stave off injury and illness and promote longevity." Haha excuse the dogma sound of that statement but hey, sometimes that kinda crap is what people want to hear, and really it is the core of what we're doing... It seems some people just need reminders or pointers to why we're even alive at all.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
Aaron Trent

Profile:

I always have goals. I find it easier to train with those goals pushing me. Some of them are more important than others and I focus on those goals, but I always am working toward something.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:23 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:

I find it better to set compliance goals rather than sheer numbers goals. "Eat 5 Zone compliant meals everyday" is better than "Get to 5% bodyfat". "Complete the WOD 6 times a week"; "Complete 2 sprinting sessions a week"; and "Complete 50 pull-ups a day"; are better than <5 minute Fran, etc. You have to deal with compliance goals on a daily basis ("I'm tired, think I'm going to blow off the workout...but I can't because I have to complete the WOD 6 times a week!"). The sub 5min Fran goal is way out there for some. Hard to bring that back to a daily process. Compliance goals might align with your lifestyle a little more Robin. Give it a shot, see if it helps.