CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
Regan Turner

Profile:
Looking for a community pull-up bar in Arlington, VA

Hi! I'm fairly new to CrossFit and am looking for a pull-up bar at a park or school in the Clarendon area that I can jog to within 1/2 mi or so to do the WOD. Specifically, I live near the Courthouse Metro...anyone know of anything in the area? Thanks!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Re: Looking for a community pull-up bar in Arlington, VA

I would check out your local Playgrounds. That would be your best bet or just go to Again faster and buy one you can hang from a tree!
http://www.againfaster.com/again-faster-bar/
Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 AM   #3
Bryan Veis

Profile:

Try Washington-Lee High School (1300 N Quincy St.) -- it's not quite as close as you would like, but unless it has been removed recently, there is a pullup bar adjacent to the track in the stadium. W-L's track is open for public use most of the time. There may also be a pullup bar in Quincy Park, across the street, and slightly closer to you.

Here is a link to a list of all the parks in Arlington: http://www.arlingtonva.us/Department...parks_list.asp You can check on the amenities of each by clicking the link. There used to be quite a number with outdoor exercise equipment (what they used to market under the brand name "Parcourse"), but as it has worn out, much of it has simply been removed, not replaced. If you are willing to go a little farther, I think that they still have an outdoor pullup bar and parallel bars for dips at Thomas Jefferson Middle School/Community Center (3501 2nd St. Street -- i.e., Glebe Road & Arlington Boulevard (Route 50)) -- you can run down North Courthouse Road to Route 50, take the bike trail that parallels 50 on the north side, and then cross the pedestrian/bicycle bridge right onto the school grounds. The equipment is adjacent to the running trail that runs around the grounds. Key School might have something outdoors, too.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #4
Aaron Moburg-Jones

Profile:

We should all compile a list. I don't think there is still one at Washington Lee. I do track work there sometime and have looked for it, but never found it. There is a little park (sometimes busy) on the corner of highland and lee highway. They don't have a pull-up bar but they do have a swingset with some open space on the bar that you can jump up to. This is the one I use the most because it is across the street. You can hook rings up to it as well. There is also a some pull-up bars along the W&OD trail toward falls church and some outdoor pull-up bars near the north entrance at the penatgon. the penatgon bars will tear up your hands something fierce if you're not careful. if I could solve this problem half my workout problems would be solved.

I've never used the again faster bar. I worry that the swing of the bar would destroy the rythem of the kip. Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
Bryan Veis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Moburg-Jones View Post
We should all compile a list. I don't think there is still one at Washington Lee. I do track work there sometime and have looked for it, but never found it. There is a little park (sometimes busy) on the corner of highland and lee highway. They don't have a pull-up bar but they do have a swingset with some open space on the bar that you can jump up to. This is the one I use the most because it is across the street. You can hook rings up to it as well. There is also a some pull-up bars along the W&OD trail toward falls church and some outdoor pull-up bars near the north entrance at the penatgon. the penatgon bars will tear up your hands something fierce if you're not careful. if I could solve this problem half my workout problems would be solved.

I've never used the again faster bar. I worry that the swing of the bar would destroy the rythem of the kip. Thoughts?

Those pullup bars on the W&OD trail are actually IN Falls Church (near West Street -- almost at Route 7), so probably not very convenient for a short run from Clarendon. There is an "exercise course" on the Four Mile Run Trail near Shirlington, as well, but it, too, is a bit far to get to on foot from Clarendon. If the one at W-L is gone, then the best bet is the TJ Community Center -- that's really not THAT far from Clarendon.

The other option is to make do with the playground equipment at a nearby park or school. There's usually something you can hang onto for pullups, even if it isn't really well suited -- like horizontal ladders, etc. Take a look over at Key School.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
Aaron Moburg-Jones

Profile:

TJ Community Center? Don't know that one.

I used to train for marathons so I guess my perception of what was far away from me and what was close is distorted
Old 03-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
Bryan Veis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Moburg-Jones View Post
TJ Community Center? Don't know that one.
Thomas Jefferson Middle School/Community Center (3501 2nd St. Street -- i.e., Glebe Road & Arlington Boulevard (Route 50))
Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
Regan Turner

Profile:

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! I had no idea I would get so many replies so soon....I'll definitely check out the resources you guys have mentioned.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Everlast doorway pull-up bar. Portable and once you assemble it, you can put it into pretty much any doorway. Pretty stable (I'm tiny, I admit, but I've had a 180 lb person do chin-ups on it and it worked just fine), and doesn't need to be screwed into the wall. If you want to kip, then stability is reduced, but that's partially dependent on how big the sill at the top of the door is. Larger ones seem to be much better. I've had it for over a year and apart from having to tighten things up a little every once in a while and the foam pads and gritty strip on the wood tearing off, it's still working great.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #10
Amber Cordelli

Profile:

The pullup bars on the WO&D are pretty decent running distance from both the East and West Falls Church metro stations. If you're right at Courthouse you could just hop on the metro and run from there. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing...