CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-31-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Instead of cluttering up the endurance thread already posted I thought i'd put this in a new thread.

I've just opened my big mouth and told my friends that i'm going to do a 24 hour mountain bike race solo in October. I bit the bullet and registered today.

This is part of my mental/physical preparation for a return to the armed forces as a part time commando (more on that story later).

Now I know a lot of people enter these things and turn up just to participate but I want to compete and based on last years results i need to do roughly 17-19 laps of a 19km course to be in the top 10.

Thats 350-400km on a mountain bike with about 5000-6000m of climbing over the total distance.

Any ideas on how to train for this monumental act of self inflicted stupidity?

I've done a couple of these in teams but solo is a whole new ball game.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Carl Herzog

Profile:
Don,

Do some interval training on the bike to raise your bike-specific lactate threshold (and do check out Brian's post in the other thread http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/10619.html) but there's no way to ride 24 hrs hard without getting some miles under your butt. The ability to just sit on the bike that long is an accomplishment that won't come from anything other than sitting on the bike a lot.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
Pat Janes

Profile:

Love to set the bar high, don't you Don? I've got no useful advice, but good luck. To me, 350-400km is a decent day's ride on the motorbike; forget about on a mountain bike.

I've just decided to enter this year's Bridge to Brisbane fun run, but that's only (ONLY?) 12km and nowhere near that much climbing, albeit on foot, not in the saddle.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:41 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Do what the people do that can do what you want to do as well as you want to do it.

If you wanna ride like Lance...you need to train like Lance...or, in this case, Ned Overend. You can bet that those at the top of cycling performance heap put in lots and lots of miles. In order to train for this monumental act of cycling commitment you really need to get your butt to be one with that saddle.

I do a race called Sea2Summit in BC in September. It's two days long and for me last year was 9 1/2 hours on the first day and 8 1/2 hours on the second. Yours sounds harder. My race has running, kayaking, treking and mountain biking so I get to spread out a lesser load over a shorter period of time. Man, my race seems like a sprint now.

Carl's point about the specificity of your lactate threshold is very important. You don't run your way to bicycle fitness. I would suggest though that unless you are really, incredibly talented on the bike that you not knock on the door of your lactate threshold (during the race) for such a long effort. For a 24 hour event you are going to want to be closer to the top end of your AeT rather than anywhere near your LT.

Ride your bike. A lot. All of your other training should be done in support of your bike training. Keep up your CF work but consider adjusting the workouts to be slightly less intense but much longer lasting. Then go for a ride.

Do you have access to the course? if it's not too far away you should ride it a few times and get a feel for the terrain, where the tough parts are, where the easier parts are, when to be careful, when to hang it out. You will need to parcel out your effort wisely in order to be able to race for 24 hours. Know what you can eat at higher heart rates, what sports drink works best, what gel you like, what gearing gives you the best cadence on various terrain, what parts of you need sports slick so you don't get a friction rash, what clothing is the most comfortable over the long haul, what tires you want on the course...lots to prepare for.

Look into Spinervals...great cycling training DVD's. Intersperse hard efforts with your long rides. Don't just pick a pace and ride along as if you were on the way to the 7/11 for a Slurpee, hammer now and then Tabata fashion, rip up some hills, do a race pace 5 minute effort with 2:30 off 4 times, ride a measured course once a week and time trial it...use your imagination and/or look up stuff by Joe Friel, Troy Jacobson, Ned Overend...Google mountain bike training.

The fundamental secret is that you get on the bike. Don't get wrapped up in trying to use other training modalities except as auxilliary training. Focus on bike training to be good at biking. Simple as that.

Don't ignore your more intense CF workouts, they remain critical to your development as an athlete and will contribute to, but not replace, your bike training for bike racing success.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Thanks for the advice Eugene, lots to work with there!

I've got two bikes (road and mountain) and access to some good rides so i'll have to get back into my cycling program. I used to ride a fair bit but now i train people in the mornings so i guess this will be a good reason to get back on the bike.

I know for a fact that i'm not a gifted endurance athlete but i'll see how i go! I think pacing myself in the first few laps will end up being quite important.

I've ridden the course before and will be able to get down there once before the race to have a final practice.

Last years winner did 21 laps so i'm aiming for about 80% of that result if I do 17 laps.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:51 PM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Ok here is my new plan of attack for the 24 hour race

Switch from doing 3/1 WOD split to the following

WOD Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Longer rides Tue, Thurs, Sunday and some trainer time and intervals where can fit it in on the WOD days
Old 06-01-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Do you have time for a 10 miler after a WOD? One of the key workouts for triathletes is the brick workout which is a hard bike ride followed by a run. Running off the bike is very difficult and bricks help develop the ability to do that. Perhaps you could benefit from that idea by doing your WOD or other CF training and then going for a ride so that you improve your ability to ride while fatigued. The three pillars of CrossFit Functionality, Variety and Intensity can be applied to your bike training...and should be to maximize your development.

You also have to ride in the dark of night Don so I'd be sure to get your bar AND helmet lights mounted and go out for some night rides to get used to the depth perception issues, the weird shadows and all the attendant problems you will find with riding in bowels of darkness.

If time permits I would make a point to do a bike ride in addition to a WOD rather than just doing one or the other.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
I recommend a periodization plan.

You know the date of the event. So take that date and work backwards from there. I would follow the principles in this book. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1931382212/qid=1117648403/sr=8-11/ ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i11_xgl14/102-6913544-0928136?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

You also need to come up with a strategy. Like ride 3 laps, sleep for an hour or two, Ride another 3 laps, sleep. Something like that. Or do you intend to ride the whole way through?

So what event are you doing? I've done the 24 hours of Moab before on a team.

Good luck.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Most of the time i do the WOD then go straight into my BJJ class but i can do some WOD/Bike bricks.

As for the technical issues of riding at night, i've gt lights sorted out and i've ridden at night a fair bit, including some time on the course for the event (was there 2 years ago in a team of 6)

Brian, i've got Friels book and i'll be dusting it off today. The event is called the MONT 24 and is Australias biggest 24hr event and is also a qualifier for the world solo champs.

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 06-02-2005, 12:08 PM   #10
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Don,
All I have to offer is my belief in you.
That, and a recommendation to a good psychiatrist :biggrin:
Good luck!
JK